Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

Stock FSX ATC, Visual approaches when ILS available

I note that some of the stock FSX airports and I give KIAH and KRIC as examples have ILS approaches available and yet the FSX stock ATC only gives options for visual approaches at these airports and the ILS approaches are not listed.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I note that some of the stock FSX airports and I give KIAH and KRIC as examples have ILS approaches available and yet the FSX stock ATC only gives options for visual approaches at these airports and the ILS approaches are not listed.

Check when the ILS was added in real life.

The FSX nav data is from circa 2005

I am talking about original FSX stock airport cad files, the ILS approaches frequencies etc are all there but seem to be ignored when an approach clearance is given using the stock FSX ATC.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

You're saying that you can't select "standby - request another approach" option in the menu? ATC will assign the visual when the weather is good in FSX, even if the airport has instrument approaches.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You're saying that you can't select "standby - request another approach" option in the menu? ATC will assign the visual when the weather is good in FSX, even if the airport has instrument approaches.

That's interesting Ryan, but how come most for most airports ILS clearances will be given even if it is the finest of weather. If I try the "request another approach" then only the visual approaches are given, or in my case on an approach to Richmond (tomorrow in your time) no options were available, nada, zip, none. Nor were any approaches to other runways with a circle to land option available.

Of course one can always take the visual approach and go to ILS approach mode after telling atc "That the runway is in sight." whether it is or isn't.

John

I'm not sure. The default ATC logic is terrible.... (of course I'm a little biased and so I fly online instead)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It is possible that the AFD has an ils beacon, but the approach code is not there. Can you see an ILS approach on the GPS?

To add approach code, use Scruffy Duck's ADE.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

"That's interesting Ryan, but how come most for most airports ILS clearances will be given even if it is the finest of weather."

I haven't found that to be the case at all in the US at least flying GA under IFR rules. The visual is always given if possible-just takes less time than doing a full ils and gets more airplanes in quicker.

I am talking about original FSX stock airport cad files, the ILS approaches frequencies etc are all there but seem to be ignored when an approach clearance is given using the stock FSX ATC.

Ah sorry, misunderstood.

It is possible that the AFD has an ils beacon, but the approach code is not there. Can you see an ILS approach on the GPS?

To add approach code, use Scruffy Duck's ADE.

I'm not using a GPS, flying commercial but the NAV radio picks up the ILS beams and I can ride them down using the autopilot approach mode or handfly of course so they are definitely there.

What is "Approach Code", I have used both the KRIC stock FSX and a Ray Smith ADE file. With the same result no ILS approach options are available from the stock ATC.

John

There are two types of 'code'. The first is the code for the beacon itself, and this transmits the signal you pick up. This is what you can edit in AFCAD, or AFX.

The second type of code is the 'approach' code. This is a sequence of waypoints to any type of approach (ILS, GPS, VOR, etc). Often, developers only write the first code, but not the second code. This is a pain for users, because it means AI and users can't get vectors from ATC for the approach.

Sometimes runway designations change (ie, 34L becomes 34C, or 34L becomes 35L). The ILS beacon is easy to update, but if you don't also update the second set of code (the 'approach' code), then there will be no ATC selectable approach for the resignated runway.

Finally, approach code allows you to do cool things, like curved approaches at Kai Tak. I just wrote an approach for a curved approach to Boris Forero's SEQU. It's neat to watch the AI take the turn on late final.

It is very easy to write this approach code using the GUI in ScruffyDuck's ADE.

Cheers,

Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

There are two types of 'code'. The first is the code for the beacon itself, and this transmits the signal you pick up. This is what you can edit in AFCAD, or AFX.

The second type of code is the 'approach' code. This is a sequence of waypoints to any type of approach (ILS, GPS, VOR, etc). Often, developers only write the first code, but not the second code. This is a pain for users, because it means AI and users can't get vectors from ATC for the approach.

Sometimes runway designations change (ie, 34L becomes 34C, or 34L becomes 35L). The ILS beacon is easy to update, but if you don't also update the second set of code (the 'approach' code), then there will be no ATC selectable approach for the resignated runway.

Finally, approach code allows you to do cool things, like curved approaches at Kai Tak. I just wrote an approach for a curved approach to Boris Forero's SEQU. It's neat to watch the AI take the turn on late final.

Cheers,

Bryn.

Thanks for that explanation Bryn but I was talking about 2 stock FSX airports does this mean that MS got it wrong?

Can you point me to ADE doco that would explain the "how to write this approach code"

John

Cheers,

Bryn.

Thanks for that info... I've totally done this with my airport project... hmmm back to the ADEX forums!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |