Sign in to follow this  
Brad27

Orbx UK & PMDG Question

So i wanted to invest in Horizon photographic scenery addons for the UK (southeast in particular), but i just found out that ORBX are developing a UK series, so would i be better to wait till this comes out as their stuff to date is pretty flawless??

Also PMDG will be re-doing their 747-400, i was planning on buying the version out currently as ive just upgraded to FSX but surely it would be better to wait for V2.0?

I know PMDG have done freighter and 8i variants which i also wish to buy but are there chances this new 2.0 will feature totally remade variants too in one box??

Brad - P3Dv4.5

AIG Moderator | Afcad Editor | FAIB Beta | FSPX Beta

So i wanted to invest in Horizon photographic scenery addons for the UK (southeast in particular), but i just found out that ORBX are developing a UK series, so would i be better to wait till this comes out as their stuff to date is pretty flawless??

They can't really be compared. Horizon is, as you say, photoreal scenery: looks nice from a certain altitude and not too good down low but you do see everything as it is in real life. But it's flat and only looking good out of one direction. And colors may be a bit off here and there... Orbx is generec scenery: it will look like the UK for sure but apart for roads and waters things won't be as in real life and you will see repeated textures. You won't be able to see your own house unlike with photoreal. But Orbx scenery will defenitely look better down low though.

It's a matter of preference, really. I prefer Orbx over photoreal but photoreal with Orbx autogen (as their airport addons) would be the best, really... :wink:

Also what Direct X is best for FSX and addons today??

Brad - P3Dv4.5

I have some photoreal sceneries (not Horizon though) but never liked them. For me they give a feeling I´m flying over a photo (which I actually do :rolleyes: ). On the other hand ORBX sceneries give me feeling that I am there. It might be partly because I am flying low and slow, if you fly heavies it might be different story. But even with airlines, some day you must come down...

I am really waiting for the ORBX UK. For some reason (other commitments in life?) I have lost my interest in simming. With ORBX UK I might find that enthuasism again. Perhanps.

you may want to consider seeing what Orbx has in their sleeve because they said they would be making an announcement with regards to some co-operation with Horizon

Guest Avart

i have all of the North American ORBX regions and living here I can tell you that they did an amazing job of replicating it. Almost like having "photoreal" with autogen. My area matched up very closely with Google Earth. I too was considering Horizon but am definitely waiting for ORBX UK.

Hmmm it's very catch 22, in the sense of with Horizon you do get a very good accurate ground image but you lose all autogen so when your landing in say...Heathrow or Gatwick you actually have nothing below you but a very blurred image, no trees, houses or buildings. It's abit like the US Cities X addons, sure they look emense during the day but at night NOTHING!! I keep hearing people say well don't fly at night or switch the area off in the scenery library if your flying there in the evening or night...which makes 0% sense to me if I've gone and paid for it, I'm going to want to get my full use from it! I really want to invest in them but I'm not going to buy any of em (exeption Las Vegas) until night lighting is considered, it's crazy that this is still being refused...night flying over US Cities is paramount!

Brad - P3Dv4.5

you may want to consider seeing what Orbx has in their sleeve because they said they would be making an announcement with regards to some co-operation with Horizon

Hmmmm interesting stuff

Brad - P3Dv4.5

Also what Direct X is best for FSX and addons today??

There's basically only DX9. DX10 was never properly implemented. What we got now in regards to DX10 is just a preview, its a very basic and flawed implementation of utilizing DX10, and Microsoft even called it just a preview (DX10 Preview). The preview mode was never meant to be used daily so to speak, but was included as a preview of things to come once Microsoft finished making their game engine DX10 compliant (which they never finished of course).

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Ok, I only ask cos I've seen a lot of recent addons list DX11 and tbh I really don't want my new PC which will be arriving in a few weeks to be giving me any hastle over this. If DX9 is the safe and sound by today's standards and releases then I'll make sure that's what I use

Brad - P3Dv4.5

If you're looking at 747's then I'd look at airport add-ons rather than scenery? There's also add-ons FOR airport add-ons with animated ground services, vehicles, AI traffic etc. etc.

Personally I'm happiest VFR in something with afan on the front or two at most. Preferably "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" powered too. Kerosene's for lamps :P .

It'll be nearly 40 minutes before you get anywhere near scenery in a PMDG 747? (ducks and dons asbestos suit <_< ) but in my Sibwings Bird Dog I can be skimming over decent scenery at 1500' as quick as you can start your car.

It's a matter of choice but I'd have bought airports if I were into jets rather than the scenery I've bought to live out my fantasy as a bush pilot ^_^ .

Geoff

PS I've all the current ORBX sceneries and a few of their high detailed fields too ...but none I've got would handle a jet let alone a Jumbo.

PPS The jet jocks all rave about the 737NG. Not a heavy but by all reports one of the best airliners yet?

Geoff Brown

I use DX10 all the time, there is a shader fix available for the few z glitches around some airports, flashing intersections of taxiway and runway, missing taxi direction arrows; that's all cleared up now. DX 10 gives you much improved quality of view, light bloom, reflection, shading, interior shadows.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com