Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Great moments with X-plane10b7 :-)

Also, what we get with the default install, both in quantity and quality, is a lot more than what we get with the default FSX Gold.

Installation/configuration is easy and intuitive, and I don't have to spend days tweaking and editing this and that to get a few less stutters (in my PC, it can be my/it's fault, I can't say....). In X-Plane it is just a few sliders / ticks, and that's it, you go "flying"!!!

Considering, I consider a lot of variables, in regards to the realm of flight............quantity & quality, really depends on ALL the things you're looking for. Therefore, I will disagree to an extent. Besides, I never did have to spend all those days of "tweaking". However, as Tom Kyler has shown with links to the video..............it will only get better with more 3rd party additions.

it will only get better with more 3rd party additions.

I think this will improve quite a bit once XP10 goes final and we can improve our docs and training. There's some chronological dynamics at play here that are playing out in a predictable manner to me. The first being XP on the iPhone...this changed Austin's resources a bit and he used it to really focus on XP10 development...which was a big endeavor. XP10 is still relatively new "per se" and we're still working on some of the bugs...but XP10 introduced a lot of foundational technologies that will allow 3rd part to get some great results and get the ball rolling. Because we're still fleshing out standards though and chasing bugs, we haven't quite had the time to deliver all that to 3rd party in a packaged way to allow them to not worry about a moving target...BUT we will get to that point relatively soon I believe and the snowball will start to gain some size....I believe we're seeing it move already. One day in the future Larry, I'm going to revisit that RV-6 model. I want to explore just how far x-plane can perform when done well as I have plans to design my own aircraft with it. We had a recent issue with the Baron engine...and ended up getting prop data and tweaking the prop incidence and lo and behold, the performance inproved dramatically...but of course how many developers track down prop data sending emails to Hartzall when they can just let x-plane use a generic one? It makes me wonder just how good it can be when every engineering detail is put into the model. I'd love to see about simulating that "prop braking" effect you refer too. XP is a great simulator of "aero forces" and if it happens in reality, it seems reasonable we can reproduce it in x-plane. One day ;)

Tom Kyler

Laminar / IXEG

www.ixeg.net

It makes me wonder just how good it can be when every engineering detail is put into the model. I'd love to see about simulating that "prop braking" effect you refer too. XP is a great simulator of "aero forces" and if it happens in reality, it seems reasonable we can reproduce it in x-plane. One day ;)

Me too!

Since Jcomm started this thread, I know that he enjoy's "Flight" as well as the modeled RV6A in Flight. I've tried Flight, but never picked up any addons such as the RV. However, I've often heard of the modeled RV as being "slippery" on landings, and that the pilot has to prepare & get rid of some airspeed along the way. Now.............this really does apply to fixed pitch RV6's, but the one modeled is a constant speed prop. The constant speed prop RV is excellent for loosing a lot of airspeed, quickly, while headed downhill on final approach. Even steeply downhill! For the real RV6A, I could hit the base turn at 120 kias, comedown at 1200 fpm, while making a short distance base to final turn, and still see a quick drop to 80 kias, then 70 kias over the numbers and touch the runway about 60. You can't even start to do that with a fixed pitch prop. BTW--- I'd just leave the prop setting at the 2350 cruise setting. It doesn't go full forward until short final, when the plane has slowed down. It doesn't make any difference in the "braking" ability. If you screw up & push it (the blue knob) in too soon, you'll slam against your seatbelts towards the panel, and it does over-rev the engine. Not good! If you don't push it back forward, then you'll notice a real lack of power, on a go-around, or touch & go.

L.Adamson

It doesn't make any difference in the "braking" ability. If you screw up & push it (the blue knob) in too soon, you'll slam against your seatbelts towards the panel, and it does over-rev the engine. Not good! If you don't push it back forward, then you'll notice a real lack of power, on a go-around, or touch & go.

Larry, and this is the kind of info I try to extract from your your posts, always rich in good information from a RL perspective. Not being "engine rated" (I did have some hands-on flight experience in a Sportcruiser ULM, but that doesn't count) all I can do is either ask, observe or infer (mostly empirically) which is not always enough :-)

When you posted this info at the FLIGHT forum it was rather important for me.

I believe the braking effect in x-plane is noticeable in CS prop aircraft, thus accounting for a much more pronounced nose/speed drop on some models. I tested this thinking of your remarks.

When it comes to gliders it is naturally a lot easier for me to compare ;-)

Thx for the additional info!

Great to share the interest in x-plane with you too, and Geofa :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I believe the braking effect in x-plane is noticeable in CS prop aircraft, thus accounting for a much more pronounced nose/speed drop on some models. I tested this thinking of your remarks.

Kind of, sometimes, and not as much as I'd like. One more thing, I've noticed that many X-Planes will travel much farther down a runway & off into the grass, with minimal, or no braking, than most real life counterparts will.

I never did have to spend all those days of "tweaking".

http://www.simforums...220.html#198220

Hmmm all of that just to get a stttttuuuutttteeerrrr free FSX.

It took me a few minutes to setup up XP9.7 when I bought it and haven't mess with the settings since. No stutters, never!!

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones. I wasn't

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

http://www.simforums...220.html#198220

Hmmm all of that just to get a stttttuuuutttteeerrrr free FSX.

It took me a few minutes to setup up XP9.7 when I bought it and haven't mess with the settings since. No stutters, never!!

Just so we're not too crazy, XPX will go down to sub 1 FPS with me on occasion just by looking around in TIR.

Also, after I got FSX's config file tweaked I have very stable 30fps too unless I'm in a big airport or in a PMDG-like airplane but that'll happen in XPX, too. Luckily most of the areas in XPX world are emtpy forests *g*

Just so we're not too crazy, XPX will go down to sub 1 FPS with me on occasion just by looking around in TIR.

Also, after I got FSX's config file tweaked I have very stable 30fps too unless I'm in a big airport or in a PMDG-like airplane but that'll happen in XPX, too. Luckily most of the areas in XPX world are emtpy forests *g*

Good for you, but I was talking about XP 9.7, XPX is still a WIP. My point was that in my case at least, I spent many hours trying to get rid of the stutters and those blurries with no luck and I wasn't ready to spend another $600 on a new computer just to get rid of them, so I bought XP 9.7. Granted it did not have the eye candy FSX has but at least I didn't experience any stutters or blurries, also I like the instrument smoothness something I didn't see in FSX.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Good for you, but I was talking about XP 9.7, XPX is still a WIP. My point was that in my case at least, I spent many hours trying to get rid of the stutters and those blurries with no luck and I wasn't ready to spend another $600 on a new computer just to get rid of them, so I bought XP 9.7. Granted it did not have the eye candy FSX has but at least I didn't experience any stutters or blurries, also I like the instrument smoothness something I didn't see in FSX.

As I've often said.......................it doesn't hurt to maintain several sims, or at least keep up with progress within them. You'll never know what you might miss. Just as RealAir, developed the authentic sim "slip", years ago..............they also found a great way to animate smooth instruments. For sure, until then, X-Plane certainly had the smooth instrument edge, by a long shot.

RealAir, developed the authentic sim "slip", years ago..............they also found a great way to animate smooth instruments

Agreed, but by that time I had already experienced XP9 silky smoothnes.