Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin H

Reinstall Visual C++?

Hi guys!

I`m wondering about one thing here im sitting, and that is if it`s possible to reinstall the Visual C++ Packages i have listed in my Add/Remove Programs list.

Here is those i have:

lolfgf.jpg

Is it safe to uninstall all of them, and then afterwards install the 2005, 2008 and 2010 Package?

Benjamin Hennes

Ryzen 7 7800X3D|2080Ti 11GB|32GB DDR5 RAM|1TB SSD|Windows 11 Home

I guess you can, not sure why you would want to though. Once you install them Windows update I think will start sending you updates for them.

scott s.

Guest firehawk44

The MSV's are installed when you install FSX/Acceleration unless the MSV is found on your system. They tell the software how to install the program on your system and how it should run. As NickN stated in his excellent guide on setting up FSX and tuning it, you need to download and install SP1 to the 2005 MSV as it didn't make it before Acceleration was released. The 2005 MSV is what FSX/Acceleration installs on your system (it's an old program). The later MSV's, 2008 and 2010 may have been included in another FSX addon such as the PMDG products. I think it's important to have the 2005 (for sure) with SP1, the 2008 and the 2010 packages installed. These packages are updated by Microsoft through the Windows Update program. However, SP1 to 2005 has to be downloaded and installed as Windows Update does not install that update (don't know why). FSX is a 32 bit program that can run in a 64 bit environment so you really only need the 32 bit versions (x86). I have another 2005 MSV installed not included in your list above - Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053. According to the Google - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vcgeneral/thread/6f4126b3-086a-40b0-97a3-c6fa9847462d - this is a security update. There's a security update for the 2008 MSV too - MSV C++2008 ATL Update kb973924 -x86 9.030729.5570. Both should have been installed through Windows Update. There's really no reason to uninstall the one's already installed.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi, and thanks for your replies, both of you. Much appreciated here from Norway. Now i have installed MSV 2005 and the SP1, because that was missing, but when i execute MSV 2008 Package i get two options. "Repair" or "Uninstall". I assume that will say that i have it installed, but which of them in the list is the one?

Please be patient with me. :rolleyes:

Btw... This is how my list looks now with the MSV 2005+SP1 installed.

sdfsfs.jpg

What is the next to do? Open for any suggestion.

Benjamin Hennes

Run Windows Update?

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Done it, Jim... No updates there...

I`m starting to ask, because my sim crashed a couple of days ago with this message in the event viewer that points to the C++ i guess.

Feil modulbane: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll

Rapport-ID: 636b83fa-1598-11e2-9d2a-c2a68b782023

Benjamin Hennes

When an FSX addon or FSX/Acceleration are installed, the appropriate version of MS Visuals 2005 or 2008 or 2010 is installed. It appears you have all of the proper ones installed and Windows update does see where you need any updates to them. You tried to install one of the 2008 versions I recommended and you got a notice as to whether you should uninstall or repair which means it is already installed. As I stated earlier, these programs are used by developers to properly install their product and make sure it runs properly. They continue to monitor your product to make sure it is working properly. If you uninstall a MSV that the product relied on, that product will no longer work properly. Over in another forum I was looking at one day, someone decided to uninstall his 2005 MSV and, after the uninstall was complete, he tried to run FSX to see if it made any difference. FSX would not start up. So, logically, it appears one of your addons did not install properly as you do have the proper MSV's installed. Thinking back when the errors began, what did you install prior to that? That is most likely the issue. If you cannot pinpoint the problem, then I recommend a FSX repair by reinserting your FSX disk and selecting repair. It should not affect most of your addons as it is just repairing FSX files and folders. I do not see in your profile where you have Acceleration installed but if you do, you'll have to do a repair there too. If you do not have Acceleration, then you will have to do a repair with SP1 and SP2 or you will have more issues. A lot of people too go into the Scenery Library and disable all of their addon scenery, then run FSX and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then you need to enable them 3 or 4 at a time until you find the scenery problem.

Best regards,

Jim

EDIT: Forgot to add that you are no longer allowed to have your PC specs in your signature as that now goes in your profile. I see you did put your specs in your profile but forgot to delete the specs in your signature. Thanks for your cooperation!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, Jim!

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. The plane which i had the fatal with was the Airbus X, and that is the addon that i installed latest, so i personally thinks that`s my problem. Thanks for helping.

I saw your reply after you wrote it yesterday, but i was at school, so i had no chance of replying you then.

Thanks for the notice. Will change my signature ASAP! :rolleyes:

Benjamin Hennes