Sign in to follow this  
neon123678

FSX software biggest pile of rubbish

OP,

Your experience is not unlike many who have posted over the years, and there are many who have not experienced the issues you have.

As stated earlier, it could be a number of factors that are causing FSX to run poorly. The software was written attempting to utilize the

best hardware available at the time. As technology improves, more tweaks are required to make the software run smoother.

Sure there are bugs in the software, just like in many other programs and operating systems. Workarounds are devised to counteract those

bugs as best possible. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I have a new approach to FSX and that is called K.I.S.S. (you know what that means)

Right now I did a clean install of Windows 7 and FSX and only installed ORBX New Zealand, PMDG NGX and Carenado Skymaster and Baron. My AI Traffic is ORBX AI Freeware.

Highmem=1 is my only tweak.

Everything works great. As soon as you start piling on everything is when everything starts to go south on you, Plus all those wasted hours installing, configuring and tweaking.

K.I.S.S. is all I can say, it works

Matthew Kane

I take a contrary view to OP. From the earliest days, flight sim has combined aspcts of computer gaming (remember WWI flying ace?) with exploration of what was possible with graphics on the PC platform. I think it has stayed pretty much true to that over the years, sometimes emphasizing game aspects (such as CFS) and other times showing off what Windows OS and DirectX could do.

MS decided to embrace 3rd party content and relesaed sdk documentation and utilities to facilitate 3rd party developement. How many big companies do that? I suspect every "AFCAD" could be challenged by MS for copyright infringement. Have they ever done anyting like that? OK, so the software isn't bullet proof. Considering the cost and intended use I don't think it is such a bad bargain.

Now if MS were to open up the source and release it, that would be great, but considering the previous efforts to license ESP and the relationship to L-M, that probably is infeasible in any real sense.

scott s.

K.I.S.S. is all I can say, it works

Have to agree. I have been *very* cautious about new add-ons, sticking to those that either 1) don't add any DLLs and such and/or 2) something that can be easily and fairly completely uninstalled. I would also add that over half of what I have bought I am no longer using. At this point, I am only looking for great (smaller, single pilot) aircraft and great photoscenery.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I just wish they would release the code to smart simmers who want to make FSX better, especially since they seem to be out of the FS business. A hypotherical SP3 could take advantage of newer computers and get rid of those random CTDs, which also have ruined my NGX experience on occasion.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I just wish they would release the code to smart simmers who want to make FSX better, especially since they seem to be out of the FS business. A hypotherical SP3 could take advantage of newer computers and get rid of those random CTDs, which also have ruined my NGX experience on occasion.

They have done this already and it is called Prepar3D....

Matthew Kane

They have done this already and it is called Prepar3D....

And as a consequence if Microsoft released the code generally, Lockheed Martin would want it's money back.

It's not going to happen.

And as a consequence if Microsoft released the code generally, Lockheed Martin would want it's money back.

It's not going to happen.

That would have been my next sentence....Cheers Mate.

True, Microsoft or any other corporation for that matter just doesn't give things away. The board of directors would fire a lot of people for that sort of thing. Corporations are not a charity...

Cheers

Matthew Kane

That would have been my next sentence....Cheers Mate.

True, Microsoft or any other corporation for that matter just doesn't give things away. The board of directors would fire a lot of people for that sort of thing. Corporations are not a charity...

Cheers

Actually there is (sort of) a precedent. Microsoft bought out the 3D modeling software TrueSpace 7.6, then made it available for free download (no support though), and they did give Flight (ha-ha) away. Admittedly those examples aren't source code freebies. Then there's IE (if you like that sort of thing).

Companies will sometimes give stuff away, if only for purposes of corporate image-buffing.

I reminded of the saying about a certain type of tradesman who always blames his tools.

FSX works perfectly for me if treated with respect. Cheers.

Companies will sometimes give stuff away, if only for purposes of corporate image-buffing.

They give products away, sure... they don't give away the manufacturing equipment on their production lines (the source code).

There are some precedents. Volition released the source code to Freespace in 2002, and a thriving community that is active to this day grew up around cleaning up and enhancing that code.

There are other companies that have done it to greater or lesser degree as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Commercial_video_games_with_freely_available_source_code

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Is Microsoft still not supplying FSX?

This is true and Google is the best example of this sort of thing. On the other end of this their is a revenue generator. For Google that is AdSense. As long as people are using Googles free services then Google is generating millions through AdSense. Others are getting into this game as well but their is an economy engine behind it. Not a new concept because television and radio signals are free as well, but paid for by advertisers, same concept really, someone is paying for it even if the consumer is not.

With FSX it was built on 30 years of development so in no way was MS just going to give it away to we the community, even though we supported that development for all these years.

Matthew Kane

Here's a question for both sides of the argument.

how many of you would get on a real aircraft if you knew that the software in the cockpit was written by MS?

I'll start with a score of minus1 = Not in a million years!!!!