Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Very accurate sideslip behavior in the AS-K21 now...

I have to report that probably because of the modifications to sidelsip introduced starting beta 6 last week, while testing the default As-K21 I was positively impressed with the overall modelling of sideslip that glider! I had previously reporter some inaccuracies, so, it's to know it is getting even better :-)

I often use that manouver in RL, and it behaves rather realistically now in x-plane10, including the sensation of running out of aileron towards the slip when full rudder deflection is used :-)

And....

- SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHNESS, out of windshield and inside cockpit. Crystal clear instruments on the various models, gauges that move like silk...

- NO TWEAKING required!!! Use the Rendering Options Screen and that's it. Whow! After a short return to FSX when FLIGHT's fate was announce (although I keep starting FLIGHT everyday - I love it!!!) X-Plane's tweak-free installs, and rather easy UI is a relief!

- WEATHER effects, once airborne, are great too. I have some problems with the apparently excessive wind effects while on ground, taxiing and taking off..., other than that, it's VERY GOOD. I also get a nice thermal and specially slope wind effect for free :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

JComm,

Given your gliding experience can you give any tips on good gliders for X-Plane 9.70 and setups to mimick thermal/ ridge lift.

TIM

TIM,

I skipped x-plane v9, although it was offered to me just before I quited flightsimming in 2007 :-(, but I believe I have links to an interesting project. I'll try to find it and report back :-)

I used Condorsoaring, and used Silent Wings and even Soaring Flight Simulator (SFS3.0) before, for a more complete gliding environment, but I will find out soon how far we can go using the default thermals and ridge/slope lift in x-plane10. The first tests look interesting, but I doubt the thermals have a life cycle, and are influenced by many other factor, staring with the wind... Anyway, the default thermal and slope lift modelling in default x-plane are already better than what you get with FSX (soaring in FSX is really not realistic, staring with the FDE, even when the best products are used - including Aerosoft DiscusX. CumulusX! is an interesting "plugin", but it uses Simconnect to interact with the FM in a way that rises some questions, at least to me...)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I have to report that probably because of the modifications to sidelsip introduced starting beta 6 last week, while testing the default As-K21 I was positively impressed with the overall modelling of sideslip that glider! I had previously reporter some inaccuracies, so, it's to know it is getting even better :-)

I often use that manouver in RL, and it behaves rather realistically now in x-plane10, including the sensation of running out of aileron towards the slip when full rudder deflection is used :-)

And....

- SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHNESS, out of windshield and inside cockpit. Crystal clear instruments on the various models, gauges that move like silk...

- NO TWEAKING required!!! Use the Rendering Options Screen and that's it. Whow! After a short return to FSX when FLIGHT's fate was announce (although I keep starting FLIGHT everyday - I love it!!!) X-Plane's tweak-free installs, and rather easy UI is a relief!

- WEATHER effects, once airborne, are great too. I have some problems with the apparently excessive wind effects while on ground, taxiing and taking off..., other than that, it's VERY GOOD. I also get a nice thermal and specially slope wind effect for free :-)

I'm beginning to wonder if you're on LR's payroll! :huh: At any rate. Are you referring, instead, to forward slips? That's something I haven't seen modeled accurately. I'd be interested in seeing a video!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm beginning to wonder if you're on LR's payroll!

Nope, but I would like to.... :-) Too far from there here in Portugal though :-(

Are you referring, instead, to forward slips?

Make it fwd slip if it suits you, while aerodynamically, as you certainly know, is there any difference :-)? The only difference being the way you enter it, and the track/heading maintained compared to the starting ones....

Main Simulation Rig:

If a plane models a side slip wouldn't it also model a forward slip, too? Isn't the only difference whether it's used to drop in altitude quickly (forward) or a means of flying in a crosswind (side)? I assume the physics is the same but I could be wrong, not being a physicist or a sim programmer.

If a plane models a side slip wouldn't it also model a forward slip, too? Isn't the only difference whether it's used to drop in altitude quickly (forward) or a means of flying in a crosswind (side)? I assume the physics is the same but I could be wrong, not being a physicist or a sim programmer.

Exactly! See my post above in reply to ZachLW....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ah, your post wasn't there when I started mine. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have to fly with weather off a lot since just the other day light cloud layer caused the Archer to flip upside down and crash into the ground. Seriously, the weather needs to know there are plenty of clouds that are safe to fly through and many shouldn't be any bumpier than the surrounding air even in a small GA plane. Glad to hear a glider works, though, I'll have to check it out.

And since we're in this "slip Topic" I would had that indeed I am yet to find a sim that properly models the wrong ASI readings during such maneuvers...

Main Simulation Rig:

How would you know, though? I'll need to check RealAir Scout and see how slipping changes the ASI -- I'd be surprised if that wasn't taken into account since it's the only plane I've seen where a spin will cause the ASI go to zero.

No.

Nope, but I would like to.... :-) Too far from there here in Portugal though :-(

Make it fwd slip if it suits you, while aerodynamically, as you certainly know, is there any difference :-)? The only difference being the way you enter it, and the track/heading maintained compared to the starting ones....

They're aerodynamically the same, but the end result and technique to accomplish each is very different (as you know). ie FSX planes can side slip to a degree when landing in a crosswind. Forward slips are absolutely out of the question, though. (save for Realair add-ons)

And since we're in this "slip Topic" I would had that indeed I am yet to find a sim that properly models the wrong ASI readings during such maneuvers...

ditto

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

No.

Hi Zach,

Forgive me if I'm being overly sensitive but I'd ask if you not reply with simple "Wrong" or "No" responses when I'm trying to have a nice dialog -- it comes off as abrasive and not too helpful. I'll assume you didn't mean it as such, though. Can you explain *why* this is the case in regards to forward vs side slipping being different? Is this something to do with the way FSX and XPX handle these situations or something more reality-based.

Forward slips are absolutely out of the question, though. (save for Realair add-ons)

So they're not impossible then ;) I haven't tried them in A2A's planes yet although while they do incredible engine simulations, I haven't been impressed with some of the stall behaviors.

I just tried some slipping in RA Scout but really I have no idea how you'd tell if your ASI is off. In reality, it will be slightly off depending on the side you're slipping but there's really no way to tell that I can see even in reality except by doing some timed runs over ground perhaps. Could testing your stall work? I'm not sure what effect being in a slip has on stalling a wing so I'm not sure that'd be a good test. Both you and Jcomm have more RL experience than I do on this so I'd love to hear if there's a way to check this. I love learning by experimenting and any excuse to practice slips I'll take :)

Can somebody explain to me Wrong ASI indication during the Forward Slip? Never heard of that before

Alexis Mefano

Hi Zach,

Forgive me if I'm being overly sensitive but I'd ask if you not reply with simple "Wrong" or "No" responses when I'm trying to have a nice dialog -- it comes off as abrasive and not too helpful. I'll assume you didn't mean it as such, though. Can you explain *why* this is the case in regards to forward vs side slipping being different? Is this something to do with the way FSX and XPX handle these situations or something more reality-based.

So they're not impossible then ;) I haven't tried them in A2A's planes yet although while they do incredible engine simulations, I haven't been impressed with some of the stall behaviors.

I just tried some slipping in RA Scout but really I have no idea how you'd tell if your ASI is off. In reality, it will be slightly off depending on the side you're slipping but there's really no way to tell that I can see even in reality except by doing some timed runs over ground perhaps. Could testing your stall work? I'm not sure what effect being in a slip has on stalling a wing so I'm not sure that'd be a good test. Both you and Jcomm have more RL experience than I do on this so I'd love to hear if there's a way to check this. I love learning by experimenting and any excuse to practice slips I'll take :)

I thought I did? After the "no" I went on to explain myself a little. I apologize for not being more in-depth, but I typically try to avoid long winded replies and soapboxes. I'm in no way trying to be abrasive!

I'm not sure how to explain the difference between forward and side slips *in sim*. That is to say, I can't explain technically why I can side slip in crosswinds but can't forward slip to lose altitude quickly in sim. EDIT: Blame it on table based flight dynamics, of course.

Can somebody explain to me Wrong ASI indication during the Forward Slip? Never heard of that before

If modeled correctly, indicated airspeed will drop somewhat dramatically when doing an aggresive forward slip. As less ram air enters the pitot tube thanks to various factors, you'll see a lower indicated airspeed. Think: Calibration error (the same happens at different angles of attack)

UPDATE: In the Realair Duke, I do see an average of about a 20Kt decrease in IAS when forward slipping. Nice. I'm curious if this is something "more easily" achieved in X-Plane aircraft.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Forward slips are absolutely out of the question, though. (save for Realair add-ons)

Ok, I confess I didn't recall, and didn't try when I bought & installed FSX Gold 2 weeks ago (after the "end" of FLIGHT...). I only have the SF260 from RealAir. I believe the A2A'a Cub should also be able to model it acceptably...(?). Anyway, the OT was started because, compared to my RL experience in the K21, the model (even being a default...) in x-plane10 performs rather acceptably, as a matter of fact, and although we can't compare, better than the Aerosoft DiscusX which I did test last week in FSX. It is particularly interesting to find that, at almost full rudder deflection, you "run out of aileron" to keep your "down wing" further down and, admiting a negligible wind component, correct your track.

If modeled correctly, indicated airspeed will drop somewhat dramatically when doing an aggresive forward slip. As less ram air enters the pitot tube thanks to various factors, you'll see a lower indicated airspeed. Think: Calibration error (the same happens at different angles of attack)

Exactly! In gliders, where we do use very aggressive forward slips, it can become scary :-)

When I started flying in 1980 my glider was a Blanik L-13, and I was tought to use forward stick during the forward slip if I didn't want to get a surprise... On modern plastic gliders we usually pull on the stick, in order not to gain speed during the descent, something that took me some time to understand (mechanically/mathematically) as not entitling me to get into a spin.....

See here, i.e., Alec: http://www.challengers101.com/Slips.html

Main Simulation Rig: