Sign in to follow this  
737guy

Adding a second drive (SSD or mechanical) for FSX Add-On Question

Folks,

I foolishly bought a dedicated 120GB SSD drive thinking that would be sufficent for FSX. Boy was I wrong! Can I add a second drive that just holds additional add-ons and such? If so, will this induce any latency in running the sim? I have a 250GB Velociraptor drive I could use, but I'm open to buying a second SSD if that makes sense.

Please let me know your thoughts on if this is possible.

Thanks!

Will

Given that you have both a Velociraptor and an SSD already I can recommend the following setup. Use the SSD for OS+FSX original install+add-ons that don't take up too much space. Use the Velociraptor for the very large scenery installs. That way you can optimise your Load time with what you already have. Having the main FSX files on an SSD while keeping for example photo scenery on a velociraptor gives only a small impact on load times compared to having everything on an SSD and it is a lot faster than having only the OS on the SSD and all of FSX on the Velociraptor. Otherwise it's safe to just add another SSD and keep putting add-ons on it if you rather do that. You shouldn't notice any difference while flying with any of the above set-ups.