Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

Need help with FSX repaints

Hi everyone;

I'd like to create liveries for myself and the community. The few repainters we have seem to be inundated with requests. So why not step up and be a repainter myself!?

What I've done before posting:

AVSIM/Google search (some of the results are ancient with many dead links), AVSIM tutorial sections (not much there and a dead link) and YouTube tutorials. I found a good series on repaints by Turbine777, but they don't do the whole process. I've worked with layers to create stripes and gradients for color shifts. I've also looked at the tutorial recommened in the sticky and it is not complete at this time.

What I want to accomplish:

Repainting basic to medium complexity real world airliners into FSX starting with the NGX paintkit and progressing through other paintkits (Including the PMDG MD11, PMDG 747, upcoming PMDG 777, upcoming QW Bae146, etc..)

Tools:

Photoshop Master collection 5.5, nVidia plugins, and DXT bit map freeware

That out of the way, I thought a simple fictional livery would be great to start with. I'm trying to create a Ted Airlines fictional repaint for the PMDG 737 NGX (900 w/winglets). One of the issues I have is what to do with the tail logo. I can find vector graphics for the "rainbow" tail logo, but how would I turn that in the "Ted" logo? They are essentially the same logo, but I would have to recolor the logo, apply an orange to white gradient, and the enlarge the logo. Ok, but how!? Then how would I move it?

I'm up for learning and I'm OK with direct tips or links to a good tutorial. There've been some very good painters in the community and I'd like to contribute as well.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I would of recommended starting with the 737-800 w/o winglets by PMDG first. Its a lot easier then the 737-900WL and isn't nearly as confusing. Not sure what you mean by the rainbow and vector thing. I use this website http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/ for all of these vector logos. Makes repainting very easy. I have been repainting for about 3 years and have been working on the Skyspirit 767 a lot because there are not many liveries out yet.

norwind1.png

dhl1.png

ups767300.png

klm7671.png

None of those liveries are yet avaiable to the republic. Try to make repaints that aren't overmade. Stick out in the community and make repaints of a plane that no one has yet.

Ok thanks.

Rainbow is what some call the UAL Red and Blue scheme. Vector referred to the tail logos I'm trying to put on the tail.

In the site you referenced I can find the United "Tulip" but I want to put it on the tail and make it orange.

As for what to paint, I agree: I do want to do unique paints but also to help folks looking for requests.

Any step by step tuturials you'd recommened?

Are you sure you watched all of Dan`s (Turbine777`s) videos on his youtube channel. He has the most comprehensive and detailed tutorial videos out there. http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTurbine777/videos

I would say after watching them a few times over following along step by step you would be armed with re-paint skills that are far beyond what a lot of people can do. It`s not something that can be picked up quickly. It takes serious effort, hours and practice to become even half decent at re-painting.

I really hope you find what your looking for, Turbine777 had a great written tutorial in the PMDG forum aswell, can`t seem to find it just now for some reason.

Wish you all the best in this art form. I just wished I had the hours to put into it....maybe one day.

Regards Doogie

Doogie;

I think I'm going to try those videos again. He gets a lot of credit for trying something like that. And, yes I am sure I watched them... After all, I was there!!

I also found his long post and it had some info the videos did not.

I'm not scares of work so if I have to do it again it is what it is. Id rather not reinvent the wheel if i dont have to Just wanted a bit more help as Dan seems MIA.

Doogie;

I think I'm going to try those videos again. He gets a lot of credit for trying something like that. And, yes I am sure I watched them... After all, I was there!!

I also found his long post and it had some info the videos did not.

I'm not scares of work so if I have to do it again it is what it is. Id rather not reinvent the wheel if i dont have to Just wanted a bit more help as Dan seems MIA.

Yeah Dan has had a few problems with his PC and real life stuff at the last few months. Also his host screwed him over so he had to shut all his sites down. I`m sure he will be around once he`s ready, we all have to unplug sometimes. I know he used to sit up for days on end doing these videos so it is well worth following along again.

wish you all the best my friend ;)

I kinda figured he had some issues as I could not get to Dantrix.net or Partyat Dans. I wanted the Steak n Tators demo he mentions in the first two episodes.

If anything I think his vidoes should have had more attention... Kinda disappointing that such an in depth string of tutorials gets under 150 views (on average) and some other videos with notalent and unfunny gets millions of views...

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and I hope to come back with a success story and to help others who want to do paints, with proper techniques.

Best Wishes Doog!

TY sir!

I'm doing the tutorials over and this time taking better notes. I will experiment with your technique tonight!

I tried your advice FSCreator

1) I go to Google and type United Airline Vector Logo

2) I get the image (United_Airlines(90).png) and drag it into PS

3) PS shows it a a background I then make it a layer

4) I do as you say in your post

5) I get a block of solid color and can't see the logo

Thank you for trying to helps

@ Michael , please do not start advising ,unless ..................you know what I mean.

Repainting is far more than sticking stickers.

Repainting starts with painting any object with a program like Photoshop.

Normally spoken starting painters cannot afford Photoshop and as we all are very honest guys ,nobody uses photoshop illegal.

So we do not use Photoshop (to expensive for the most of us) we use Paint.net or old 25 dollar version of PaintShopPro ,OR Gimp (FREE and THE BEST)

Then we need DXTBmp by Martin Wright (FREE)

and the FREE demo of FSRepaint.

More we do not need .........ohh yess and a bit of talent and we need to read all kind of excellent tutorials available on the WWW

Taking over a topic by showing all your own paints and yelling ...........????

Please don`t.

Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints