Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

Converting from FS9 to FSX

Well, some time ago I purchased a copy of FSX Gold, with my brand new laptop (Toshiba R835-P81, i5 2435, Intel HD3000). I'm getting good performance with FS9 and addon sceneries and aircraft, but I'm getting tired of the limited autogen range and the blurries at the distance. I understand FSX is better in this aspect. If I want to try FSX with this laptop (yes, I know, thou shalt not sim in a laptop), what should I take into account in order to not having to look back at FS9? I mean, settings, addon recommendations, etc.

PS: I hope the FS9 people don't see me, they'll charge me with high treason :P

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Honestly I would stay with fs9 on that pc. What type of flying do u do?

Matt Wilson

Mostly airliners, but sometimes I like to fly Cessnas around the pattern.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I hope the FS9 people don't see me

Found you, bad boy! SmackBottom.gif

Don't try it.

What in the world?

I'll give some better advice around here before I'm off to work. You're system is weak for FSX, but not impossible. Settings to stay away from with your specs include but are not limited to:

• High autogen settings (big one)
  • High anti-aliasing settings (take it easy on that weak GPU)
  • Any AI Traffic, excluding a lower setting for boat traffic
  • High water shader settings (stick with the low range)
  • Heavy 3D clouds. Set the density slider to about 50%.

If you get FSX running decently to your expectations --which I would wager you can if you stay reasonable-- I suggest using *******' tweaker. http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy! They're are some must haves out there for FSX, including the PMDG NGX, A2A accu-sim stuff (377 being my favorite), Active Sky 2012, and quite a few more.

Again, just be reasonable with your expectations. If my now retired Core 2 system could pull it off years ago, I'm sure you can.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'll give some better advice around here before I'm off to work. You're system is weak for FSX, but not impossible. Settings to stay away from with your specs include but are not limited to:

• High autogen settings (big one)
  • High anti-aliasing settings (take it easy on that weak GPU)
  • Any AI Traffic, excluding a lower setting for boat traffic
  • High water shader settings (stick with the low range)
  • Heavy 3D clouds. Set the density slider to about 50%.

If you get FSX running decently to your expectations --which I would wager you can if you stay reasonable-- I suggest using *******' tweaker. http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

I guess the problem does not lay in processor but video: the i5 in my laptop is better than your C2D, but surely your GPU was a lot better than the Intel HD3000 my laptop has. I followed your suggestions, but I still find the same autogen range limitation that I found in FS9. However, the AF does work for FSX when activated in game, the blurry terrain textures are not an issue.

Unfortunately, I could not test in full-screen mode; I saw nothing but a blank screen. In windowed mode I can see the sim, but I've always had better performance in full screen. Maybe all I need is a better GPU? My expectations are to have FSX look at least like FS9 with most sliders to the right, some good AI traffic levels and keep at least 20 FPS (which I notice are smoother than 20 FPS in FS9). Am I expecting too much?

Found you, bad boy! SmackBottom.gif

Oops, sorry.. heheheh... but don't fear, I'm not dumping FS9 :wink:

Best regards,

Hi Luis,

I'm a recent convert to FSX myself and while I did go through the expense of building a new computer for FSX from scratch (not top of the line but a decent build nonetheless) I was very apprehensive about the switch. I had spent tons of cash on FS9 and it had reached a point where I was satisfied with the eye candy / framerate /smoothness I was getting from it with, mainly, the PMDG 747.

After approximately three weeks of using FSX I have now come to appreciate the improvement in all areas over my old favourite FS9. I have to say, though that out of the box I was extremely disappointed with what I saw in FSX and this was probably the reason I stuck with FS9 for so long but after a bit of urging from a friend I decided the time had come to make the jump, especially after reading that PMDG's new releases (T7 and 747v2) would be FSX only. So, I took a deep breath and got UTX and GEX for my land eye candy (what a difference those products made to an otherwise bland and not up to scratch original FSX) and the addition of ActiveSky 2012 rounded it all out even more. And even though I am not much of a short hop person the NGX has got me totally enthralled.

If you can afford it I would suggest you get yourself a new computer that is FSX-capable and follow the installation advice given both in the Hardware fora here as well as Nick's lengthy post: http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

After all this IS our hobby so money spent on it is money well-spent (plus it keeps us on the straight and narrow much to our spouses' relief Big%20Grin.gif )

Cheers.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

If you can afford it I would suggest you get yourself a new computer that is FSX-capable and follow the installation advice given both in the Hardware fora here as well as Nick's lengthy post: http://www.simforums...topic29041.html

After all this IS our hobby so money spent on it is money well-spent (plus it keeps us on the straight and narrow much to our spouses' relief Big%20Grin.gif )

Cheers.

Looks like my laptop (well, my GPU) is not up to the task yet, unless I put it into High Performance mode. But then, I may risk frying my CPU (85-95ºC, when rated to 100ºC). In the meantime (while I save for a new computer), another question: I understand GEX is region specific. Are there other versions than North America and Europe? Or at least, are there other equivalents for the rest of the world (or at least, Latin America)?

Best regards,