Sign in to follow this  
GimbleRates

Changing Destination Enroute?

Hello everyone, after recently getting back into FS9 I decided to hop into my PMDG MD-11 and relearn the ropes.

As this was this was just a test flight for getting a feel on how the aircraft and autopilot handle I put procedures on the back burner for the duration of the flight.

I set my CDU to reflect my departure and destination airport (Both being KPAE for this flight). Passing 10 thousand feet the autopilot came off and I was promptly reminded why me and this aircraft fell in love in this first place.

After about a 15 minute flight, I was ready for a break turned to a heading which brought me back to KPAE. I noticed I was closer to KSEA, having scenery that I just installed in the area, I thought why not?

That's when the problem started, no matter how much I tried to manipulate the CDU I was unable to pull up the LAT-REV for KSEA STARS-SIDS page. The CDU failed to allow me to change my dept/arrival airport en-route. It also failed to let me change the destination, even when I cleared it to a point where the CDU showed a message of (No destination), the proceeding lat-rev pages would ONLY pull up sids-stars for KPAE.

I attempted:

- Clearing all the waypoints with the only one being KSEA

- Clearing the destination

- Attempted to change the arrival airport

Now I'm sure I'm missing something easy, help would be very very much appreciated though.

This was in the MD-11F, I have also received a sustained cabin pressure sys manual warning that I cant seem to clear.

Thank you very much. :)

In order to change your destination you should change the Alternate Airport. In real life this could be caused by weather or any number of other situations which can cause you to not be able to land where you first thought. You would then create an Alternate route for the AC to follow. The Alternate route would show up after the original destination on the flight plan page of the FMC. Also, I believe that the longest runway at KPAE is just under 9,000 feet which is the default minimum in the MD-11 settings. You may have to adjust that for it to show up.

Thank you very much for the reply. Only after I shutdown did I even think about toying with the alternates. :rolleyes: (No problem with the LAT-REV approach page for KPAE showing all the arrival procedures I needed.)

For future reference is activating the alternate pretty straight forward? Can I change an alternate once in flight?

I wont be in front of my FS computer for awhile so I thought I would ask.

Thank you again,

Steve

Its as easy as hitting the DIR button on the CDU and selecting the first leg to the alternate.

Although I feel very silly for not trying the Alternate in the first place.Thank you very much for your help and answering all my questions. Much appreciated.