Sign in to follow this  
johndrago

LOC Not Capturing Properly

Hi Guys,

I've flown the NGX since it's release, and have had no issue with ILS approaches. In the last two weeks, I've had three issues where the LOC and GS don't capture. Everything appears normal, and I get the indicators on the ND for lateral and vertical guidance, but the plane does not capture. I don't think it's a problem with the NGX, as other airports have worked, but I'm not sure.

The runways in question are both default airports:

KSMF 16L, 16R

KBUF 23

Has anyone had this issue at these airports or others? AFCAD issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Was your baro still set to STD?, a while ago while fooling around I forgot to set the baro pressure from STD to a actual baro setting (eg 1013) and it wouldn't capture the G/S (Not sure about LOC, was too long ago), the indicators were there but the autopilot wouldn't capture even though it was armed.

I'm guessing this is related to faulty navigraph data. I once had the same issue when I tried to intercept a LOC at ESSA (I believe it was RWY26). The navdata from navigraph was incomplete and this caused the NGX to ignore the intercept. I'm not 100% sure if I got the LOC/GS indications tho, it happened about a year ago

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Was your baro still set to STD?, a while ago while fooling around I forgot to set the baro pressure from STD to a actual baro setting (eg 1013) and it wouldn't capture the G/S (Not sure about LOC, was too long ago), the indicators were there but the autopilot wouldn't capture even though it was armed.

Yes, I did set the baro properly. Thanks anyway.

- John

What is the FMA saying?

It showed the ILS frequency, at the top left, I was in heading mode, and level change mode, and LOC was armed (white). When I crossed the beam at the correct altitude, the plane just kept flying through. I then took manual control, and flew it down. Everything looked as normal as it does on regular ILS approaches.

Thanks,

John

Best would be for you to make a screenshot when you are just before passing the beams.

I'm guessing this is related to faulty navigraph data. I once had the same issue when I tried to intercept a LOC at ESSA (I believe it was RWY26). The navdata from navigraph was incomplete and this caused the NGX to ignore the intercept. I'm not 100% sure if I got the LOC/GS indications tho, it happened about a year ago

That's what I was thiking as well, but I've never had this many issues back to back. Of course, it could be a total coincidence that the airports and runways I'm choosing are the ones with issues.

If anyone has a chance, and is using the default KSMF and KBUF, let me know if you experience the same issue. I'm using the latest AIRAC cycle as well.

Thanks!

It showed the ILS frequency, at the top left, I was in heading mode, and level change mode, and LOC was armed (white). When I crossed the beam at the correct altitude, the plane just kept flying through. I then took manual control, and flew it down. Everything looked as normal as it does on regular ILS approaches.

Well, the jet doesn't care about the altitude, so wipe that off of the possibilities.

The freq was up in the top left, but not the ident? No IBUF or whatever? RW, that would make me wonder if there was a "signal."

Sounds more computer database-y than technique-y.

Matt Cee

Well, the jet doesn't care about the altitude, so wipe that off of the possibilities.

The freq was up in the top left, but not the ident? No IBUF or whatever? RW, that would make me wonder if there was a "signal."

Sounds more computer database-y than technique-y.

Sorry, yes, ibuf was there as well.

John