Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

A Huge FPS Increase

.....buying a new car wasn't this complicated!

gwillmot

.....buying a new car wasn't this complicated!

gwillmot

buying a new car is easy, take old car in for scheduled oil change. Proceed to take new model out for test drive to kill time. Proceed to tell them not to bother with the old one you are taking new one home. Simple....

This is some complicated bleeeeeeep for simpletons like myself!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Been following this post with great interest, I can confidently say there will be some choice words coming from my basement this weekend.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

I guess the program will also work for FSX, or can we expect other troubles then ?

Best try taking it to the FSX Forum I'd say...

Peter vd Veen invented Alphasearcher in an earlier discussion almost 2 years ago:

http://www.alpha-ind...102#msg92102Did

Interesting that they were discussing EHAM, as that is what I tried first.

There's a real case to have a combined tool!

I used DXT_fixer to add alphas to everything, then Alphasearcher2 to find stuff without MIPS, and convimx to add them. I am wondering whether 16 bit dithering is required?

(The ground photoreals are best not mipped as they then flash at a distance).

Be great if these functions could be "all in one".

Which is not to sound ungrateful, many thanks for these tools!

(The ground photoreals are best not mipped as they then flash at a distance).

:( So that's why. But most of the newer scenery have mips and no flashing problem.

Edit: Checked with aerosoft eham, it has mips by default and bad flashing problems.(this thing is a mess...) Airports that I've add mips to don't flash though.

New verion again :lol:

I included support for dxt5 files as well so it should now be good for FSX.

Of course I had to change the name for the program, so now it's called DxtFixerX.

But it works for both FS9 and FSX.

If you only use FS9, then DXT3Fixer v1.1 is just fine. (available from the filelibrary now)

BTW, the filedescription (as well as the readme file I think) says it fixes textures without MIPMAPS, which ofcourse is wrong.

My bad, must have been tired when I wrote that :blink:

This new version you can get from here: http://www.2shared.c.../DxtFixerX.html

I am backing up now FSX 110mb install, then will run the fixer.

Also like to mipmap everything and see how it goes.

http://convimx.findmysoft.com/

Is this the program I should use ?

How does it work ? convert dxt3 to dxt3 with mipmaps? how many ?

As a slight aside to this topic, surely all you guys with modern PCs and there quad core super meglo tech processors (unlike my six year old PC) powerful GCards ,lashings or RAM etc etc should surely not have to be engaging in this sort of tweaking ,particularly for FS9 ?

For senior citizen PCs (mine ) yes !give it a try.

PS I have so far (not really sure what I am doing so I have backed up the relevant folders first)

run the program through the SCENERY folder (Log indicated a lot of stuff changed) AIRCRAFT folder (no changes) TEXTURE Folder (nothing found or changed.)

What other FS9 folders should I run through the program (DXT3Fixer v1.1)

Cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Peter, this utility is fantastic many thanks.

Is there any way it could be made to handle DDS DXT3 and DDS DXT5, commonly found in FSX as well? It is my understanding that need alpha's too.

If anyone wants to add just mip maps there is another handy program called Mipmap manager:

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=Mipmaps

From Don Grovestine, who has an array of handy utilities.

This problem causes major stutter and massively increased load time for textures, including vc. So, everyone can easiliy benefit from this no matter the system.

This problem causes major stutter and massively increased load time for textures, including vc. So, everyone can easiliy benefit from this no matter the system.

OH Well

I won't be changing my trusty old PC then.

Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

To answer HoratioWondersocks' question... You shouldn't have ANY dxt3 files without alphas, so let it run through all the FS9 folders. Just select your FS9 root folder and away it goes.

The only time you need to select another root folder is if you have sceneries installed in non-default locations like on other harddrives, or if you just want to check a specific folder.

And Atco, I don't know much about dds files yet. I know they also use dxt1, dxt3 and dxt5 compression, but if they cause stutter issues without alphas I don't know.

I've looked at the file header and it looks like that crucial byte is there, only at a different offset, but I'm not sure yet. Hard to tell also when imagetool doesn't open dds :(