Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

A Huge FPS Increase

I've spent a little time going through "problem airport sceneries" using the tools mentioned in this thread.

• First: alphasearcher to identify whether alpha is present
  • Second: alphasearcher to identify whether mips are used
  • Third: DXTfixer to add alpha
  • Fourth: convimx to add mips

Gentlemen, could some one shed me some light as to how to use the Alphasearcher plz? A nice little tutorial would be appreciate.

So far I started the Alphasearcher, selected individual texture- start search....and then I see a bar at the bottom scanning. But I can't find the log. Secondly, when running Convimx, the buttons really confuse me, how do I add mips?

Regards,

Anthony

OK nevermind about the alphasearcher tutorial, after playing around with it, I just selected the FSX drive, bullet in Missing and process sub folders too, I got a result. I got around 12 missing alphachannels in 2 UK2000 airport scenery. But when I run DXTfixersX(Just report bad files uncheck)provided by Neumanix on those textures, the log says "no files were altered. Everything seems to be OK." Am I doing something wrong?

OK nevermind about the alphasearcher tutorial, after playing around with it, I just selected the FSX drive, bullet in Missing and process sub folders too, I got a result. I got around 12 missing alphachannels in 2 UK2000 airport scenery. But when I run DXTfixersX(Just report bad files uncheck)provided by Neumanix on those textures, the log says "no files were altered. Everything seems to be OK." Am I doing something wrong?

Uncheck "Just Simulate" and then start. If you check it, it would report the bad files only with altering them.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Only 12 alpha-less textures? I would try manually with DXTBmp and check again with Alpha Searcher.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I saw reference to Mipmap manager which directed me to Martin Wright's dll files

mwgfx.dll and mwdll.dll which are obtained from http://mnwright.btinternet.co.uk

However, that site is a bt yahoo site that requires an account which is not free.

So how does one otherwise obtain these files?

Thanks,

Jim

I saw reference to Mipmap manager which directed me to Martin Wright's dll files

mwgfx.dll and mwdll.dll which are obtained from http://mnwright.btinternet.co.uk

However, that site is a bt yahoo site that requires an account which is not free.

So how does one otherwise obtain these files?

Thanks,

Jim

That is the old site, try- http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/index.htm

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Try to download from there !

http://dxtbmp.findmysoft.com

That is for DXTBMP, not the dll files. Specifically, mwdll.dll I

cannot find anywhere. mwgfx.dll I have found from Joe's link.

Maybe that dll is no longer needed.

--Jim

...Specifically, mwdll.dll I

cannot find anywhere. mwgfx.dll I have found from Joe's link.

Maybe that dll is no longer needed.

--Jim

All required .dll for any of Martin's programs are available on his site.

I do not see mwdll.dll listed and suspect it is either old and no longer needed or a typo where ever you saw it.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

When I run mipmap manager on any texture file I get the following error report

on each file it touches.

The following errors were encountered:

AI_Il86fuse.bmp - Processing error (Create extended BMP)

I have no idea what this means or why I'm getting it or if its

important. Does it mean nothing was done or what?

Many thanks,

Jim

The following errors were encountered:

AI_Il86fuse.bmp - Processing error (Create extended BMP)

I have no idea what this means or why I'm getting it or if its

important. Does it mean nothing was done or what?

Apparently it doesn't matter, Jim. I also used Mipmap Manager, and I'm getting the same error message. However, judging from the filesize of each BMP and the effect in user aircraft, this actually means the job was correctly done.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Apparently it doesn't matter, Jim. I also used Mipmap Manager, and I'm getting the same error message. However, judging from the filesize of each BMP and the effect in user aircraft, this actually means the job was correctly done.

I think you are right Luis. When I run alphasearcher it doesn't show those files as being

unmipped.

thanks,

Jim

Hi guys,

Just to clarify one thing, do I need to add a mipmaps to all the texture that are missing them.

I ran the DXT fixer first but when I run the Alpha searcher, I get lots of files missing MIPS. do I just add them by using convimX tool?

Thanks

Walouigi, if you're sure all your DXT3 textures have alpha channels, you'll only need to add mips. If this is the case, I'd prefer using Mipmap Manager. By doing so, I can keep the format of the BMP, i.e., if the texture is a DXT1, it will still be a DXT1... but now with mips. IMHO, ConvImX is more for batch adding alpha channels and mips at the same time.

On the other hand, since my laptop's GPU is an Intel with an uselesss AF, I prefer not to mip user aircraft textures, but YMMV.

Best regards,

Thanks Luis for your reply, ok I will use the Mipmap manager instead.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards