Sign in to follow this  
neumanix

DxtFixerX

I've made this little tool that searches for dxt3 and dxt5 textures that have bad alpha channel data, and fixes them.

It was originally made for FS9 and only searched for dxt3, but it was very simple to also do dxt5 files, so here is the newest version.

It can be used for both FSX and FS9.

How it works:

You select a root folder from where the search should begin. This can be your FSX/FS9 root folder, but doesn't have to be.

It then goes through the folder structure (all subdirectories) from there on and searches for faulty files.

If you check the box that says "Just report bad files", it will only report which files are bad and need fixing, but doesn't actually do any fixing yet.

The list of faulty files is generated in a text file called "log.txt", in the same folder where DxtFixerX.exe is.

The program automatically exits after the search is done. Read the log.txt file and run the program again to fix any problems (leave the checkbox UNCHECKED this time).

Run the program yet again to verify that all files were fixed. The log.txt should now report that everything is OK, no files were altered.

This new version isn't available from the filelibrary yet, but for now you can get it from here: http://www.2shared.c.../DxtFixerX.html

Hi

Just a quick note for those who might get the following error as I did:

0172ea66506f.png

DxtFixerX does not support Unicode (UTF) path names, therefore if you get the error make sure all folders within FSX have English name.In my case this was specifically related to Project Tupolev's documents which had the name like "ÐËÝ ÈÍÑ21".

Thanks

Iransim Administrator

Microsoft Flight Simulator Add-on Developer Since 1998

Robert Goddard said: It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

Peter, nice work on the tool. Used it to fix a bunch of AI and scenery .bmp's that were missing alpha's.

Is there a way to make the tool scan .dds files for missing alphas or would it even matter if files packed in .dds format are missing alphas?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Here is a version that SHOULD support unicode:

http://www.2shared.c...rx_unicode.html

Could you test it and see if it works?

Thanks neumanix,

Yes it works now.

Iransim Administrator

Microsoft Flight Simulator Add-on Developer Since 1998

Robert Goddard said: It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

I ran the Unicode version and my results where,

--------------------------------------------

DxtFixerX for FS9 and FSX - by neumanix 2012

THE FOLLOWING FILES ARE BAD:

No files were altered. Everything seems to be OK!

-Paul-

I'll pin this temporarily, see how things go. You say one can't mess up this sim - I hope it is like that. Let's see what it brings.

I ran the Unicode version and my results where,

DxtFixerX for FS9 and FSX - by neumanix 2012

THE FOLLOWING FILES ARE BAD:

No files were altered. Everything seems to be OK!

I got the same message.

I assume the tool is working fine??

(PS. Thanx for making it available!)

Er... very nice and all but I am missing some basic information: WHY I should use this tool? What if a file does have bad alpha channel data...? Why do those files need to be fixed? I must have missed something somewhere but I never heard about this 'problem' (?). :wink: So before I use it, could someone tell me what's the use of this tool?

J van E, It can cause huge pauses(stutters) when loading such textures. This was especially noticeable for me with the maddog 2010, everytime it took 4-5 seconds to load the VC and I thought it was the devs fault. After fixing such files with this tool now the load times are nonexistent. Aerosoft sceneries and some really old payware stuff is full of these textures. It helped with Amsterdam too for me.

Thanks for the clarification, Kaan! Maybe it could be added to the OP? :wink:

EDIT

Used the tool (the new unicode one) and all was fine. So I can't tell you if this tool actually works... :wink:

Something doesn't seem to work correct in the unicode version. It doesn't find anything in my FSX folder, while with the normal version finds a bunch of corrupt files

Thanks for the clarification, Kaan! Maybe it could be added to the OP? :wink:

EDIT

Used the tool (the new unicode one) and all was fine. So I can't tell you if this tool actually works... :wink:

Same here, no corrupt textures found while I have never altered any dxt files.. I do own a lot of Aerosoft scenery so I guess that there should be some, but these aren't picked up by the tool.

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

Same here....the Unicode finds nothing but the original (non-unicode) does find a bunch of bad files