Sign in to follow this  
boeing247

FSX Bush Planes

After a week in Alaska, I've gotten into bush plane flying, and so I'm looking for a good bush plane for FSX. I was in a 206 Stationair a few days ago, and there were plenty of Skywagons at the same airstrip, but Carenado's models of those aren't up to par with their later stuff. The 182 Bush package looked great until I saw that the instrument panel is pretty much flat, and I'm looking for a highly-detailed panel. Does anybody know of any good bush planes, freeware or payware, for FSX?

Thanks,

boeing247

By the way, I've seen talk of a good freeware Maule on FlightSim.com. Does anybody know anything about that?

Edit: and I'm looking for something a bit smaller than the Grand Caravan, which I might go with if I can't find anything else.

my favorites are the real air scout package and the a2a accusim cub

the scout has a pretty modern cockpit that you can even modify to an extent in an extra config tool. also the package actually gives you not only the tundra wheeled scout version, but also different variants (wheels, ambhibian) and 2 other models (trainer, acrobatic). it's a few years old, but to me it still looks good and the VC is nicely modelled (no flat instruments). also flies extremly good, sideslipping, stalling, rolls. perfect for bush flying

the accusim a2a cub has a weak engine (slooooooow flying), lovely VC cockpit (even better textures with the many add-on liveries available freely) also comes with tundra wheels, normal wheels and floats versions and is extremly immersive while flying , the accusim package breathes life into that little taildragger and makes it a superb realistic plane to handle. no modern instruments but still good enough for some idaho backcountry bushflying on those tiny grass strips tho :)

Tofupete pretty much nailed it.

The scout package is great, realair planes age well and they are well equipped you can do ADF work, VOR, or visual. Tundra tyre version as well. Plus you get the aerobatic Citabria and Decathlon as a bonus.

The A2A cub is also well known for being one of the best.

Another older plane I love for bush flying is the Dornier Do-27 (see my gallery). Digital Aviation made it before the Katana, it can do short field, it can carry skydivers, and it's very unique. The engine must be managed carefully, and you also need to do some routine maintenance, but once you get used to it then it's great.

Also don't forget the DC-3 can be a bush plane. There is a DC-3 bush tour in Australia with fairly short fields. The reason I mention this - is the freeware Basler BT-67 - even shorter fields from Turboprops. It's payware quality, actually better than some payware for sure. I know it's probably a bit big for you.. but it's free

Another older plane I love for bush flying is the Dornier Do-27 (see my gallery).

thanks for the HU - i missed this one completely, just read the feature list on the web-store page and it sounds pretty amazing with all the things simulated, i wonder how much all of that affects performance. since its some years old now, it might not put that much strain on my low end pc.

Hey Bram, how about the Britten Norman Islander from Flight1, its a beauty and nicely detailed: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=bn2islander

Have you considered the DH6 Twin Otter, also a great machine? : http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,5930847690,10709

My latest bush bashing fave is the Carenado 185, I think the panel detail is fine, but you seem to have pretty high standards :-)

Dean Stringer

Does the islander have anti icing features? Might not be suited to Alaska.

The Twin otter definitely though! I got it when I purchased aerosoft Antarctica. The panel is a bit dated but it's a great plane.

I saw Aerosoft is remaking it with current standards of graphics although no known release date yet.

On the Do-27 and performance, it was made for 2004 originally but has an FSX version so it could be a port. I can't tell but it works fine, though my system is pretty beefy

Lionheart's Quest Kodiak is nice bushplane too. Package includes versions with wheels and floats.

The Cub from A2A is indeed fenomenal, albeit quite slow. But if you want something similar but faster and more powerful, try the Flight Replicas Super Cub, which comes in a huge variety of options and is a great fun to take to the bushes.

All the planes I use for bush flying have been mentioned. Carenado's C185 is actually a very good model, especially with Bernt's updated FDE. I probably use it the most. FR's Super Cubs have ground handling that is a bit too twitchy for off airport booney bashing, which is a primary use for them in RL.

But if you mean just airport to airport in Alaska, then any plane will work.

I don't think the DO-27 will live up to your standards. It's dated like the Twotter. The new Twotter looks promising though. I don't recall whether the Islander has de-icing, but it is a fun plane, with some nice effects. A bit slow. For a heavy hauler, also quite slow, I've often used a PBY hauling cargo for VAs in Alaska. She's a money maker, and a phenomenal model.

I've been watching all the "Fly Wild Alaska" series here! Fantastic documentary. So good is it I've started populating my Alaska scenery with new airports and am back to flying the old PMDG Beech 1900C and my RealAIr Scout with Tundra tyres. Bliss :)

Lionheart's Quest Kodiak is nice bushplane too. Package includes versions with wheels and floats.

This was the first one that came to my mind. Lots of options available, not to mention some great repaints from "BananaBob".

Alexander Alonso

listed in order of preference and use:

1. RealAir Scout,
  2. FSD Turbo-Porter,
  3. Basler BT-67,
  4. FSX Maule,
  5. FSX C208 w/ Bernt Stolle FDE,

Obie

Lately, it's been the Quest Kodiak and just picked up the Pilatus Porter on sale. Great VC's, good FPS. Having a blast.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I don't have any A2A products, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Try their Cub.

Carenado has a c185 "bush" pack that has different configurations of the aircraft - amphibian, float, tundra wheels, and ski.

I used to fly the Twotter quite a lot but like others have said, it's somewhat dated (though I hear Aerosoft is working on a new one).

But yeah, you can never go wrong with anything from RealAir or A2A.