Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gnomegemini

New to MD11; some Questions regarding real world operations

Hi there,

yesterday I got my aerosoft MD-11 box and before flying today in the evening I've some questions regarding the MD-11.

1. Engines: The MD-11 was available with GE and PW engines. On md-11.org there are some range charts. And the one with PW has a less range. From what I know from the 744, the PW Engines are more powerful. So are the PW Engines really less economical but give more power? How comes, that the PW has a more bass sound and the GE has a more "whine"?

2. You can switch between tape and dial engine display. KLM uses the tape one. But which one is "better"? Can the pilot in real change this?

3. What does "Wind Display Cross" mean? I mean, isn't there always a cross which shows the wind direction?

4. Are all MD-11 GPS/GNS equipped now?

5. Is autobrake high deceleration rate used or the normal one? KLM uses the high deceleration rate, but do they use autobrakes on every landing?

6. If the "Heavy Fuel Distribution" is used, you have a higher MTOW. So does every airline have this option?

7. Got all the old FMS's updated to 920 or are some at 912?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to fly today! :-)

With best regards,

Stefan Sondermann

Kind regards,

Stefan Sondermann

2) I prefer the dial version. It was made to have an easier time to switch from the 747 dials since they look quite similar. Pilots can't change them.

3) Fly in wind and you should find it out. It changes from an arrow to a thing that shows head/tailwind and crosswind separately

4) I don't think so. As far as I know some fedex still don't have GPS/GNS

7) my guess is that most FMS are 920 since they basically have the same functions. The difference is that the 912 is much slower.

HTH,

Manfred

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Gentlemen

Allow me to answer question 1, 5 and 6:

1) Range depends on which engine type has the best Cruise "Specific Fuel Consumption (S.F.C.)"

5) Use of autobrakes is beneficial, considering passenger comfort, brakewear and pilot workload, (one application and decelleration rate).

6) I doubt if all operators would need this option.

Best regards

Palle

Tapes v Dials.

Tapes help you line up the engine parameters to the same value without a digital readout. Dials give you better rate of change information. Tape displays take up less space than dials in a non-glass cockpit, so can make room for an additional engine parameter to be displayed. A round dial 747 classic shows four primary engine indications, tape indicators allow space for five. I find dials easier to read but its a matter of preference and airline policy.

The DC-10 had either as a customer option, so both styles were available on the MD-11. KLM used tapes on their 747s and DC-10s so not surprisingly they chose tapes on their MD-11s.

Dials are not even an option on the 747-400, possibly because of display space issues.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi there,

yesterday I got my aerosoft MD-11 box and before flying today in the evening I've some questions regarding the MD-11.

1. Engines: The MD-11 was available with GE and PW engines. On md-11.org there are some range charts. And the one with PW has a less range. From what I know from the 744, the PW Engines are more powerful. So are the PW Engines really less economical but give more power? How comes, that the PW has a more bass sound and the GE has a more "whine"?

MD11 was a failure on the perfs and fuel burn side (range lower than sold to companies) on the 744 sorry to tell but the PW ones are not the more powerful .... nothing to deal with power and burning ... as a rule of thumb on the 744 GE 0, RR +3% and PW +5% on the fuel burn .... check the perfs on the 777 engines no difference on the fuel burn side from the less to the more powerful ...

2. You can switch between tape and dial engine display. KLM uses the tape one. But which one is "better"? Can the pilot in real change this?

good question depending on your training the tape was made for KSSU group (Klm, Uta, Swissair and SAS) first for 747 then DC10 easier for the spare parts. i was told by maintenance that the tape parts were a little on the fragile side ...

3. What does "Wind Display Cross" mean? I mean, isn't there always a cross which shows the wind direction?

4. Are all MD-11 GPS/GNS equipped now?

5. Is autobrake high deceleration rate used or the normal one? KLM uses the high deceleration rate, but do they use autobrakes on every landing?

are they using that specs every time they land ? will have to check in some FCOMs ...

6. If the "Heavy Fuel Distribution" is used, you have a higher MTOW. So does every airline have this option?

7. Got all the old FMS's updated to 920 or are some at 912?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to fly today! :-)

With best regards,

Stefan Sondermann

all the best.

Phil

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

18%
    $4,525.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now