I am finally in a position (After moving up to senior FO B) ) to build a real computer rig. Before anybody gets crazy because I am posting this in the PMDG forums I am asking here because the only purpose of this computer is to run the PMDG NGX and the upcoming 777. On my current computer I am running FSX with all sliders to the left and can sustain the NGX at default airports around 25FPS. I would like to be able to run middle sliders into complex add on airports with the NGX while keeping at least 30 fps.

I am going to keep from my current computer :

• Power Supply
  • Hard drives
  • Disk Drive
  • (Possibly Graphics card) Radeon HD 4890 (Should I upgrade?????)

What I need:

• Motherboard
  • Processor
  • RAM

Here is a link to my Newegg wish List

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17921131

I am somewhat new to all of the computer building and am open to suggestions and comments about what to buy!

Thanks

Evan Thrams

What power supply do you have? How many watts? Also, make sure it has at least 2 PCI-E connectors; 1 6pin and in some PSUs 1 6+2pin.

Are you planning to overclock? I didn't see a CPU cooler on your wish list. If not, there is no reason to get the 3570K. Just get the non-K version and save some bucks. If you ARE overclocking though, I've read that it's best to just get the 2500K or 2700K from the previous generation Intel line. Yes, the Ivy Bridge is like $10 more expensive for the "latest crap" but this is what Srdan Kostic (Word Not Allowed on forums):

Currently, there is no reason to buy an Ivy Bridge processor over the Sandy Bridge for the FSX. Performance boost is negligible. They are running way hotter due to the thermal paste between the heat spreader and the CPU, thus letting you only achieve lower overclocks with same cooling solutions.

The 570 is okay I guess, and so is the memory and the processor.

Edited by linux731

In response to Word Not Allowed's quoted remark, while the bit about heat is true, this is a solvable problem, rendering the remark irrelevant. Also, Ivy Bridge with some fast RAM will most definitely outperform Sandy Bridge, even at a lower clock speed. Word Not Allowed does a lot for this community but he makes this remark not out of personal experience or extensive testing. In fact, I believe he made it several months ago so it's based on rather outdated info as well. Further testing has occurred since that time, demonstrating that Ivy Bridge is in fact faster than Sandy Bridge once you overcome the heat problem.

As for Z68 vs Z77 , go for Z77 if you're buying new, that way you'll get the overclocking and high speed RAM benefits of the newer platform.

Okay, but do you still need the latest and greatest hardware to play a game from 2006? I don't think so. That's like buying an Alienware to play Quake 1. Yes, I do know that with addons it does get heavy, but even some crappy AMD can do the job fine.

I already have a corsair water cooler, but I am not planning on over clocking . I have no experience overclocking and I want the system to run FSX out of the box... I will change my thoughts to the non K model.

Also whats the difference between an i5 and i7 ??

... but I am not planning on over clocking . I have no experience overclocking and I want the system to run FSX out of the box...

Two problems there....

You really want to OC - it's simple with a K series processor.

You'll have to tweak a little bit to get FSX to look and perform properly.

No major difference between the 2500K/2600K/2700K or the newer IB 3570K and 3770K... at least in FSX world. I do agree that faster RAM will help the IB CPU (3570k/3770k). The newer IB cpu's will run hotter than their SB counterparts, but clock for clock IB is a little faster. You say you've got a corsair cooler so you should be alright obtaining a 4.5GHz+ clock with a 3570K (which is what I would get)

Here's what I would get:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116504 - i5 3570K

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131819 - Asus Z77-V Pro (a little pricey but allows use of faster ram)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231476 - GSkill 2133 ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595 - GTX 570 video card (FSX works best with nvidia imho... a gtx 670 would be a nice upgrade but they are pricey)

p.s. Careful about running the faster RAM with the 3570K - check the motherboard listing for compatible RAM... sometimes you need the i7 version (the 3770K)...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Firstly, I am no computer expert. But my reading confirms the Ivy Bridge is a better overclocker than the Sandy Bridge iteration. And, Ivy Bridge overclocks at much lower voltages. I am currently upgrading from AMD 956 Phenom to:

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=11752009

Usually new generation Intel chips hit the market at WAY HIGHER prices than the "reasonably priced" Ivy Bridge chips. Heck, they are virtually the same price as their Sandy Bridge counterparts.

Don't fear overclocking. With today's software, it's simply a matter of a few clicks (especially with the excellent ASUS AI Suite II and Turbo EVO) and you'll be humming along at 4.2, 4.3, or higher in no time.

If you can spare the extra cash, I would take a closer look at the i7. You don't see a lot of i5 Sandy Bridge rigs for FSX on the forums.

Hey ... I have a question ... If you upgrade your motherboard, cpu, and ram and used the OEM builders version of Windows 7, do you have to buy another version of Windows 7? ... just wondering Good Luck with your decision.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

You don't see a lot of i5 Sandy Bridge rigs for FSX on the forums.

Hi.

Also, why does that matter? A lot of people think "oh it's an i7 so it's obviously better than an i5 or i3". That's not always true. Who cares what other people have?

I was too lazy to quote the rest of your post Dennis because I'm on my iPhone, but to answer your question, yes, if you have OEM Windows (that's the one that comes in a little plastic thing instead of the nice box) then you technically have the to buy Windows again if you changed your motherboard, however, Microsoft is not Apple so if you call them you might get lucky and they will give you a new key.

Thanks Diego for the info.

BTW, the i7-3770 is on sale today at Newegg for only for $289.99 with promo code EMCYTZT2079.

Not the unlocked version.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

I have an Intel i5 3.3 ghz overclocked to 4.5 ghz, 8gb of RAM on a Win 7 64 bit system and the NGX is butter smooth coming into ORBX KJAC.

No bad experiences with the Sandy Bridge processors for me.

I certainly am not claiming that the i5 is not a great chip, only that the i7 does more. For FSX, it might not matter much, but you never know when NASA is going to call you for some sub-orbital deviation calculations. Then I would want the i7 for it's scientific, cache and graphics advantages.

Here are a couple of articles to get you started:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404674,00.asp

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/Processors/Intel/Core-i5-and-i7-Ivy-Bridge/

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

The most likely reason is that the post was off topic. The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in. The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature. The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere. Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I certainly am not claiming that the i5 is not a great chip, only that the i7 does more. For FSX, it might not matter much, but you never know when NASA is going to call you for some sub-orbital deviation calculations. Then I would want the i7 for it's scientific, cache and graphics advantages.

Here are a couple of articles to get you started:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2404674,00.asp

http://www.techpower...-i7-Ivy-Bridge/

Comparing the Intel Core i5 to the i7 is impossible. That's like trying to compare Wendy's and McDonald's without comparing the food they offer. They're just different "brands". The "food" is the model number, such as 2500k or the 2700k.