LED of course

Why 'of course'?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

LED display and LED-backlit LCD display are two very different things, people confuse these two every day. I suppose you mean the second one mentioned. Well, in theory, LED-backlit display should offer better backlight uniformity, contrast, colors and lower consumption. But with wide use of edge-led backlighting it's not that amazing as companies proclaims and it's still about panel and electronics quality (only that consumption and maybe thinner display are advantages, particularly for notebooks, where those two are importnant). LED-backlighting is not something that's gonna save the world. It's better to look at particular models, compare them and read reviews than just sort all monitors to two groups by its backlighting and say one is better than another.

LED is very small and vivid, crystal clear. LCD is bigger that's what i have

LED display is a newer technology. The displays has better view from the angle, much lower power consumption and weight. As for the displayed picture quality - it is a matter of personal opinion. I have big screen TV (LCD) and three LED PC monitors in the same room and prefer the LCD quality.

LED is not a different kind of monitor compared to LCD. There's LCD with fluorescent lamps for illumination and there's LED-backlit LCD which uses LED lights for illumination.

Unless you mean OLED which is really a new technology, but that's far from being mainstream yet.

LED is not a different kind of monitor compared to LCD. There's LCD with fluorescent lamps for illumination and there's LED-backlit LCD which uses LED lights for illumination.

Unless you mean OLED which is really a new technology, but that's far from being mainstream yet.

So you are saying, LED TVs are basically LCD with LED for back-light instead of CCFLs? And then there are LED back-light and edge-lit LED but both are still LCDs?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

So you are saying, LED TVs are basically LCD with LED for back-light instead of CCFLs? And then there are LED back-light and edge-lit LED but both are still LCDs?

Exactly. All those types of displays you mentioned are LCD displays with LED backlighting.

Check this out: http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisions/qt/ledlcdtvfacts.htm

Exactly. All those types of displays you mentioned are LCD displays with LED backlighting.

Check this out: http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisions/qt/ledlcdtvfacts.htm

Thanks for the links, that was a very good read. Call me stupid, but I was thinking that LED TV's pixels were actually LEDs, each pixel! LOL

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Thanks for the links, that was a very good read. Call me stupid, but I was thinking that LED TV's pixels were actually LEDs, each pixel! LOL

That's the impression display manufacturers want to give, so no, I won't call you stupid. l wasn't aware of this too until I had to research for a monitor for my new PC two years ago.

LED displays do exist, but their most common form is to display alpha-numeric characters.

Yea, I guess I also learned something today. Hey, since you have already done some research, maybe you can help me out.

I'm shopping around for a 46" LED-LCD for my FSX PC. I will buy one now and most likely get me 2 more down the road for an nVidia surround setup.

My biggest thing is that it has got to have a very thin bezel and no bells and whistles such as built-in streaming apps, Internet connectivity, etc etc.

Also, is it worth to shoot for a 120hz HDTV for FSX and the occasional first-person shooter?

What 46" you recommend that might fit the bill?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

I haven't looked much into displays lately, so I'll have to do some research. There are special displays with very thin bezels for surround setups. I'll look them up and give you more info.

About 120Hz displays, I've heard that you can see the difference and everything is very smooth, but it's pointless if you cannot maintain above 60 FPS because then there's no difference at all. However, if you get above 60 FPS, then they can be worth it. If not, then a 60Hz display can do it.

I haven't looked much into displays lately, so I'll have to do some research. There are special displays with very thin bezels for surround setups. I'll look them up and give you more info.

About 120Hz displays, I've heard that you can see the difference and everything is very smooth, but it's pointless if you cannot maintain above 60 FPS because then there's no difference at all. However, if you get above 60 FPS, then they can be worth it. If not, then a 60Hz display can do it.

LG has a Cinema line that are simply beautiful and have almost no bezel at all, but I believe they are all 3D sets and as such, you pay more for them.

Right now, I'm looking at a Sammy UN46EH5000 or LG 47LS4600.

As for 120, I think I will go with 120 because FSX is not the only thing I will play on the FSX computer. Why waste so much power on just one title when you could also enjoy other games.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

LED display is a newer technology. The displays has better view from the angle

As ChaoticBeauty said, LED is not a different kind of monitor compared to LCD, it is only different type of BLU (backlight unit). Both type of BLU, LED and CCFL are used to backlighting LCD-TFT matrix. Angles of view depends from a type of used LCD-TFT matrix. Most popular TN matrix has worst angles, these more expensive as PVA, MVA, IPS have better angles.

More here: "LED Backlighting and Panel Technologies" - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/led_backlighting.htm

and a lot of useful articles here: "Technology Articles" - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles.htm