MdMax

FlightGear v2.8.0 is available !

Question

Hi all !

FlightGear 2.8.0 has been released and is available here:

http://www.flightgea...2-8-0-released/

Some of the major changes include:

AI Traffic

• Improved aircraft models and textures.

Flight dynamics

• FlightGear has been synced with the JSBSim project.

Environment

• Region-specific terrain textures are used for Europe and Hawaii. Now towns in Europe look different from towns in the USA.
  • Cities and towns now look more populated due to random 3D buildings, complete with lighting at night.
  • Scenery looks more realistic due to improved placement of random objects, buildings and trees.
  • Airport signs are now rendered in 3D, with support for double-sided signs. Full apt.dat 850 syntax is supported.
  • You can now select between summer and winter scenery in-sim.

Instruments & HUDs

• A new flexible, 2D rendering system designed for complex instruments such as CDUs, MFDs, EICAS, HUDs and other glass cockpit interfaces. Canvas allows aircraft designers to easily build complex instruments without needing specialized C++ code.

Interface

• Support for translation of the main menu into languages other than English.
  • A Nasal API is available allowing access to Navigation and route-manager data.

Highlighted new and improved aircraft

Project infrastructure

• Various improvements to our scenery database make it easier than ever to add, delete or update objects to the FlightGear world.
  • The new aircraft download page allows you to easily find quality aircraft, by filtering on status indications.

Visual effects

• Improved simulation of atmospheric light scattering with terrain haze.
  • An experimental renderer, named after the famous painter Rembrandt, is included for testing purposes. The Rembrandt rendered supports multiple light sources (landing lights, instrument lights), real-time shadows and ambient occlusion across aircraft and scenery for a much more realistic visual experience.

Other

• Additional joysticks and rudder pedals are supported out-of-the-box:
    • InterLink Elite
    • Micorosft Xbox 360 Controller
    • Qware USB
    • Saitek Cyborg X (F.L.Y. 5)
    • Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke
    • Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel
    • Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudder Pedals
    • Speedlink Defender

[*]A French partial translation of The FlightGear Manual is now available.

715078c337.jpg

Happy flying ! B)

In a triumph of hope over experience, I downloaded and installed FlightGear on Win7 in C:\FlightGear.

On clicking the desktop icon I got the attached window. Note that the Next button is greyed out and I could find no way the change that. Clicking the Defaults button followed by Reset gave the message "fgrun.exe has stopped working" with Windows searching for a solution.

Needless to say I've uninstalled it, yet again!

Are new versions of Windows now accepting pathnames with slashes "/" and other pathnames with backslashes "\" ?

Is your FlightGear folder C:\FlightGear\ or C:/FlightGear/ ?

Are new versions of Windows now accepting pathnames with slashes "/" and other pathnames with backslashes "\" ?

Is your FlightGear folder C:\FlightGear\ or C:/FlightGear/ ?

It is in C:\GlightGear - I checked before posting,

FlightGear doesn't even seem to know where it's just intalled itself.

From your link:

" If FGRun was installed with a binary package, either under Windows or Linux, these paths are normally initialized by the installation procedure."

As I said FlightGear doesn't know where its installer put it. It is broken!

Yes, it can be made to work.

But if it wasn't broken it wouldn't be necessary to have to look for Wikis to find out how to make it work.

Yes, it can be made to work.

But if it wasn't broken it wouldn't be necessary to have to look for Wikis to find out how to make it work.

It is not broken if it's working for me and lots of others. The problem lies with you.

I'm seeing C:/FlightGear listed for scenery in that screenshot; should this be C:\FlightGear?

Ask FlightGear - that's what FlightGear shows. It also shows C:\FlightGear too in the lower box!

None of the links support that conclusion.. Indeed, the first says "While I have yet to try this latest release...."

They are not reviews but rehashes of FlightGear's announcement with no suggestion that the authors actually used FlightGear.

Perhaps AVSIM could commission a proper review?

And those links isn't about proving it to you, they are press releases.

Will you please stop trolling these forums. You are so obvious, I bet you would love the make a review yourself.