Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

ASE Help - PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong

I have been using ASE now for a few months with about a 50/50 success rate. What I mean by 50/50 is that half the time when I get to my destination I am greeted with AI landing head on to me. The strange part that I dont get at all is that Radar Contact is assigning me the proper runway based on wind and such and I can hear other AI also being directed to the same runway as me but half the time the destination airport has traffic going in both directions.

This is my start up sequence that I use:

1- Launch ASE and let it fully load. I enter my flight plan in ASE.

2- Start FSX - Setup aircraft - and after a few min. I refresh AI thru ASE.

3- Launch Radar Contact - after a min. or so I get the weather from RC

from this point on its standard business.

I am using DWC mode, 25% rate of change, download WX every 20 min. I have tried all the different force destination/wind lock options and still get 50/50 results. I use as mentioned before Radar Contact for my ATC, and Ultimate Traffic 2 for my traffic, and am using the latest version of FSUIPC (unregistered). I have searched and searched this problem and the only thing I can find with any consistancy is that I am not the only one seeing this.

So, what an I doing wrong or what ASE setting should I be using with the add on combo I am using (RC4 and UT2) and what are you all doing and seeing?

Thanks for the help in advance

Jim Wenham

For starters, unless you need DWC set on for some good reason (and I understand there are many) turn it off. I never had success with it on, always good with it off. It seems to cause a set of problems all its own.

Yes, it's on (wink)

For starters, unless you need DWC set on for some good reason (and I understand there are many) turn it off. I never had success with it on, always good with it off. It seems to cause a set of problems all its own.

Yes, it's on (wink)

Thanks for the info Woodhick. The only reason I use DWC is to get rid of the stutters when ASE is injecting the weather. With DWC on its smooth as butter. What kinds of problems were you having with DWC on ??

Jim Wenham

Thanks for the info Woodhick. The only reason I use DWC is to get rid of the stutters when ASE is injecting the weather. With DWC on its smooth as butter. What kinds of problems were you having with DWC on ??

I was getting high altitude winds (think 50 kts + at times) at ground level when the target airport was reporting a normal ground level wind speed and direction and would often find myself landing against the flow of the AI traffic.

I really don't get the "stutters" very badly at all now but they can happen for a very short time after a wx update. Note here that I'm kind of an odd ball flyer. I fly low and slow airplanes--A2A Cub, Cessna 182TC (not all that low and slow by comparison) and the Britten-Norman BN2. Some of my settings are outside the norm due to my lack of speed and altitude but they work well for me. I used the same settings when I was flying my lovely Beech Duke turbine and they worked well then too.

I've got the range at which AS2012 will freeze the wx at the arrival airport set at something like 30 miles and the altitude for the same at like very near ground level. Truthfully, I cannot think that ASE (used it a long time with success) would respond any differently to settings than AS2012 would do.