Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Shockwave 3D Redux worth it?

Its amazingly hard to find before and after screenshots of this addon.

It claims to do a lot more than just the headlight landing lights but I can't find any screens or videos showing whats changed. All I see are brighter glowing headlights.

For $17 I'd like to choose wisely since I really don't fly that much at night.

Plus no mention of a frame rate hit if any.

I'd say, it's definitely worth 17 bucks. It adds a more "real" feel of how lights look by gving it a "voluminous glow". Btw there are some screenshots of the default aircraft with those 3D lights, so you can see what it actually does, for example here. I like it, but it needs a bit of tweaking for other than default aircraft.

And if you don't really fly at night, it might not give you that experience.

Regards

Flo

I like it, but it needs a bit of tweaking for other than default aircraft.

And if you don't really fly at night, it might not give you that experience.

It's the reason I didn't get it... the need to fiddle with cfg files for each aircraft makes my head spin. Good addon if you are ready to do that.

It's the reason I didn't get it... the need to fiddle with cfg files for each aircraft makes my head spin. Good addon if you are ready to do that.

Ugg...really? That is a pain indeed.

It installs itself for the default aircraft but the rest you need to do yourself individually. And you need to be careful, for instance you can't use the wingtip lights on aircraft that have flex wings because the Redux lights don't flex. So on my CS aircraft I just have the landing lights, but just that makes a huge difference.

Most addon aircraft, including the MTX and UT2 AI aircraft have been created by A2A enthusiasts, and are published on their forums. There's about twenty minutes of work to add them to the MTX installation, for e.g.

and... it fixes the DX10 lighting issues...

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

For popular airliner a/c like the iFly 737, the PMDG NGX and the QW 757, one can easily find the Redux (Shockwave) light settings for the a/c cfg file at their support forums. It takes less than a minute to install them. Although I wasn't much of a night flyer in the past, the Redux lights were one of the reasons I've become one (together with the fantastic VC lights of e.g. the NGX). As Fatback said, it makes a huge difference.

Regards,

René

Doing the install on your first after market model will take 45 minutes. After that you can do it in 10-15. It ain't a biggie, just precise. They look better so they're worth it from that standpoint alone.

Does anyone have a few before and after pics of a few planes?

Look on YOUTUBE -- plenty of videos of FSX planes using Shockwave Lights

Look on YOUTUBE -- plenty of videos of FSX planes using Shockwave Lights

I know that, I'm looking for before and after or side by side comparisons.

i dont use the 3d effect on all my aircraft as it replaces some stock textures and im happy with the results from that :)

-Paul-

If you kinda like to "tinker" then I think it is a good buy. But many of the aircraft already have .cfg files written out from other simmers so it can be just a copy/paste activity. I actually don't use the landing light options that much, more for NAV, strobes and beacons. I changed over my entire AI fleet to them and it just looks great and I am talking about during the day. But dusk and night are especially "immersive" (is that a word?)

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I like those 3d Shockwave lights, I have them installed on almost every aircraft I own and also on all the UT2 AI traffic which makes for some amazing views at the evening or at night.

You don't need to install them all immediately on all the aircraft you have. I did it gradually. First on those I fly the most than whenever I wanted to fly something else I found the config files on A2A forums and just c/p the lights section to aircraft.cfg. I takes like a minute.

There's about twenty minutes of work to add them to the MTX installation

How can you do that? I can't find any instructions on A2A forums just a ton of questions about that without any answers. That would be amazing if that would be possible since I use MTX and UT2 together.