Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Shockwave 3D Redux worth it?

This makes adding A2A Redux lights to UT2 AI aircraft: http://www.bleedair.de/ultimate-traffic-2-fsx.html

I had heaps of problems finding before/after shots too. I simply ended up deciding that I liked what I saw in the YouTube videos of the general effect, and compared that to what I knew. It really does make a difference with dusk/dawn/night flights - just visually impressive.

Cheers, Danny

Danny Hicks

Keep in mind that with custom aircraft the SW lights do not work in combinaton with the OH switches.

Beside that the lichts are being calculated till 200 nm away.

So AI aircraft with SW lichts at Amsterdam have à performance hit when you are at Brussels.

It is not much ,but with lots of AI aicraft can cause (micro) stutters.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Keep in mind that with custom aircraft the SW lights do not work in combinaton with the OH switches.

Beside that the lichts are being calculated till 200 nm away.

So AI aircraft with SW lichts at Amsterdam have à performance hit when you are at Brussels.

It is not much ,but with lots of AI aicraft can cause (micro) stutters.

I'm not sure all that is correct. I have SW lights on all my payware aircrafts and lights work just fine. I don't see why they wouldn't since aircraft.cfg just looks for a different fx file, that's all.

I don't see ANY performance hit with SW lights and I use UT2 and MTX together :wink: But every system is different, I guess.

I'm not sure all that is correct. I have SW lights on all my payware aircrafts and lights work just fine. I don't see why they wouldn't since aircraft.cfg just looks for a different fx file, that's all.

I don't see ANY performance hit with SW lights and I use UT2 and MTX together :wink: But every system is different, I guess.

Burkhard Renk ( MyTraffic ) told me that.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Burkhard Renk ( MyTraffic ) told me that.

He's most definitely right for MTX traffic. But I don't use SW lights on MTX traffic since I don't know how to do that because MTX aircrafts don't have [lights] entry in aircraft.cfg's. Maybe that's why I don't see any impact ;)

But regarding lights not working... that's wrong because in all my payware stuff SW lights work properly and I have a lot of those (PMDG, RealAir, CS, Carenado,....).

This confuses me, too many acronyms all the time :( . The Shockwave addon does not work with over head switches?

The Shockwave addon does not work with over head switches?

That's probably what he meant, but for me they work just fine with all add-ons I got the Shockwave lights installed.

Cheers

Flo

How can you do that? I can't find any instructions on A2A forums just a ton of questions about that without any answers. That would be amazing if that would be possible since I use MTX and UT2 together.

Two, maybe three posts/pages of configs for MTX AI. You're right! I had a heck of a time finding them!

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8704&start=15

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Paul!

One last question.. last time I wanted to add lights to MTX I didn't find any [LIGHTS] entry in aircraft.cfg files of MTX airplanes. How did you install those lights? Or I just didn't look hard enough and I missed the lights entry?

MTX uses either an aircraft.cfg or a "sim.cfg", Tomaz, which FSX will recognise (apparently!) as the same thing. Most of these have a [Lights] section, but with only a one line entry. I don't think I came across one without lights. (but with my memory???............) Anyway - yes - add the section if it's missing. :wink:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It is a pretty nice product, but I do feel like the lights can be a bit over-done. They are great, but the volumetric effects are so exaggerated (in my opinion), that you feel like you are flying in a cloud.

No, not worth it.

I had problems setting up configs for different aircraft because of all the code editing in the .cfg file (ugh) and when I posted for help on their forums I kept getting the run around from one of their admins.

Completely put me off of the product and the company.

I just reinstalled FSX and this product is definitely NOT going back on my hard drive. Maybe if they made a new interface that is more user friendly.

The way it is now is a huge unwanted headache.

Yes ! A huge Yes. This changed my flying experience in FSX for good. I have installed it on all of a/c- Airbus X, PMDGs NGX- 747, MD-11, Wilco Airbus 340-600, F-18 Superbug, IRIS F-15, CS 767, and I-FLY 737-900.

-- I can attest it is a great product; far better than many other add-ons out there. Now, here is the tricky part: You've got to learn how to configure your CFG for it to make it work perfect...You've got to learn the skills how to increase or decrease the lights intensity. NOT AN EASY TASK However, once you learn it, your a/c will look awsome...true to life!

I say "no" unless you want to just use it on the default aircraft. I bought it and never really used it much since I don't fly default or at night much.

No, not worth it.

I had problems setting up configs for different aircraft because of all the code editing in the .cfg file (ugh) and when I posted for help on their forums I kept getting the run around from one of their admins.

Completely put me off of the product and the company.

I just reinstalled FSX and this product is definitely NOT going back on my hard drive. Maybe if they made a new interface that is more user friendly.

The way it is now is a huge unwanted headache.

Now, here is the tricky part: You've got to learn how to configure your CFG for it to make it work perfectly ...You've got to learn the skills how to increase or decrease the lights intensity. NOT AN EASY TASK However, once you learn it, your a/c will look awsome...true to life!