Sign in to follow this  

My one plane hangar

I sometimes wonder (more and more) why so many people buy so many airplane addons. I am a one plane man. And I only want the best. When the Katana 4x was released I bought it and it was the only GA I flew until I found out about the BayTower RV-7, which I flew for a few months without looking at other planes. After being away from FSX for some time (sigh...) I heard about the RealAir Legacy: imho the best GA out there and right now it is the only plane I fly. I am a one plane man. And I have a one plane hanger. I think one of the reasons for doing it like this is realism: in real life I would also only own one plane (I think). (Obviously I wouldn't buy a new plane every 6 months, but well... :wink: )

Now I know some of you buy almost any addon plane there is. I've been there. I've had my share of Carenado planes and a few from Lionhearts, Ants or Dreamfleet in the FS9 days, well, you know them all. But somehow I always came back to the best plane in the hangar and now I can't imagine buying a lot of planes anymore. I just read that someone who owns the Legacy bought another plane and I think 'WHY!' :wink: To me the Legacy is PERFECT in every possible way so I don't even LOOK at other planes. Why should I?

So I wonder 1. if there are any more people who have and like a one plane hangar like I do and 2. why do some people buy so many planes, sometimes more then they will ever be able to actually enjoy, and specially if they already own the best! Just curious. :wink:

I Jeroen :-)

I understand you PERFECTLY!!!! Better just a couple, or one, but good, fully featured, than an hangar full of stuff you'll most certainly end-up not even using.

I would follow exactly the same track, and learn the operations of that aircraft, complex and detailed as it was actually modeled by RealAir, just as if in RL I ever had the chance to buy such an airplane...

Good scenery and meteo add-ons can help though...., and you certainly did a very good choice buying the GNS 530 from RealityXP. G-Plan is also a very nice satellite application :-)

Plan your flights, and fly them as close to real as you would do if you had the chance to get a real Legacy and fly it from your local aerodrome, maybe only during weekends. Use real world weather if possible!

If you're in the big iron land then it would be even more realistic to stay with just one type... RL airline pilots don't happen to fly, an airbus, an ng, then a 777, tomorrow a 744... At most, when on the buses, they can alternate between the 319/20/21, and I guess in the ng series as well...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I know the problem.

Each time I buy a new aircraft, I am thinking of deleting an old one. But I don't. And I rarely fly them, only usually newest ones. When NGX came out, I only flew that - then I tried forcing myself to fly something else - but that pretty much failed. I almost never fly GA so I can't comment on those and I own almost none of those.

I could just delete my LDS 767 since I hate how it looks...

I could delete PMDG 747 for its dated graphics too...

But I know, when 747 and 777 come out, I will probably fly NGX less again. Or maybe not - I just like when addons are "on par". Like, the quality of one aircraft doesn't overcome the old one. This is what NGX did. I hope that 747 and 777 are just little steps, and FSL airbus is on par with NGX. In that case I'll be done for quite a while.

Do you only wear one pair of underwear?

Some people like things fresh from time to time. :)

I like HQ planes.... so I usually only get the best ones. Of course "best" is subjective lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Different aircraft for different moods...

I do eventually uninstall stuff I never fly, but for the most part my moods are very different from session to session, and one of the beauties of "simulated" flight is that I can afford to own a hangar full of good aircraft depending on my mood, sometimes a twin (B55, TDuke), sometimes a fast or slow single(RALegacy or Katana4x), sometimes an aerobatic plane(RV7), sometimes high wing(C337), sometimes a warbird(A2A P40) etc.

Thankfully I have good examples of each installed.

Jeroen my friend, you seem to be a one sim, one airplane, one scenery area simmer, which is cool too, but many of us love variety (for example today I have already flown the B55 in FSX and the BK117 in XP-10 and enjoyed both).

--John near KPAE

Do you only wear one pair of underwear?

All the time. My "lucky" pair. B)

I have 3 of my favorite GA, and several airliners installed.

CS 737

NGX

Maddog 2010

ERJ V2

One analog old airliner. One glass. One hybrid. One regional. All three being types I enjoy.

One GA single for IFR work (RealityXP stuff in the IFR birds). One GA twin for night IFR/long distance. One for piddling around my bush scenery.

You see? I'm methodical about what I have installed. Though what I have installed in no way reflects the sheer, ludicrous size of my aircraft storage HDD.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm a multi plane sim flyer. I mean, it's the sim and therefore allows for exactly that. You can fly something else, somewhere you like (or even don't like) and change things with the click of a mouse button. Perhaps the rw flyers also like it for this easy and versatile nature.

Well, by this, you'll find me in the GA planes, the tubeliners, the old and the new ones. I have periods of a 'mostly' single plane usage, but I can't stand looking at the same thing for longer. So I run my old 737 for some five to ten flights, then enjoy some freeware, then head for my old Dornier 27 and later return to the MD-11. This would be a typical mix at my end.

I often read the manuals of the one plane while flying the other one. And I like the challenge that comes with new planes of all kinds, their flight regimes and profile and the details of the different systems. The sudden changes keep me flexible. Well, I hope they do. ^_^

I can understand the single plane focus though. Sticking with a cool plane for longer? Makes sense, same as the opposite does.

I'm still fairly new to FSX so I'm still a bit in awe of the options that are available. I've also been disappointed with some of the add-on's I've purchased so am a bit weary of buying much. When I first started, someone on AVSIM said I should figure out what and how I like to fly before buying anything. Good advice but hard to figure that out without buying and flying different planes.

I know I love flying turboprops so I have the RealAir Turbine Duke, the Carenado C90, and my favorite, Mario Noriega's freeware Piaggio P180. What's interesting is that the C90 is a sexy plane to look at but I spend more time flying the P180 and the Turbine Duke. I also like small jets so I've been flying (and slowly coming to grips with) the Eaglesoft CX 2.0. Now I'm getting interested in big iron so I'm thinking of purchasing the NGX or waiting for the PDMG 777. It's always fun to fly and learn something new.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends on my mood and what I feel like flying. FSX gives you options which is great but not so great for your wallet :rolleyes: . It's hard to not have options......

I know the problem.

Each time I buy a new aircraft, I am thinking of deleting an old one. But I don't. And I rarely fly them, only usually newest ones. When NGX came out, I only flew that - then I tried forcing myself to fly something else - but that pretty much failed. I almost never fly GA so I can't comment on those and I own almost none of those.

I could just delete my LDS 767 since I hate how it looks...

I could delete PMDG 747 for its dated graphics too...

But I know, when 747 and 777 come out, I will probably fly NGX less again. Or maybe not - I just like when addons are "on par". Like, the quality of one aircraft doesn't overcome the old one. This is what NGX did. I hope that 747 and 777 are just little steps, and FSL airbus is on par with NGX. In that case I'll be done for quite a while.

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Consistently #1in the "Most Rewarding" category - the LeonardoSH Maddog 2010:

Most used:- any C150/52, 172, 182

Preferred twins, all equal:- The BN-2 Islander, the Milviz Cessna 310R & Beech B-55

Best Low 'n' Slow - the SibWings Birddog:

All others, including the fabulous A2A AccuSimm'd warbirds and the RA Spit and SA250, sit in the #4 hangar ... tires developing flat spots.. rust forming on the cylinder walls.. brake pads beginning to seize...

batteries flat.. "For Sale" signs beginning to fade...

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm not really a one-plane kind of simmer, but I often find myself going back to old favorites after getting tired of the latest trend-plane. My current favorites are RA Scout (Low, slow GA), Maddog MD82 (short and medium paxhaul), Concorde X (Long distance, medium amount of time :lol: )

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I'm a GA flyer through and through. I fly the C182 most days...always working on something IMC or just taking short hops for fun when I'm tired. At the same time, I've always got one good airplane in the wings (sorry for the pun) that I'm studying.

Learning a new airplane (and new systems) is painful for me and, on top of that, I hate the amount of time all the installing/tweaking takes when I could be up flying. And I dislike airplanes with massive checklists which makes it easy to rule a lot of them out...LOL.

So I'm way down on the technology chain.

I did pick up the C310 this weekend. I'd long been looking for a new airplane...a traditional long-range twin, GA, that I could take out over the water and at $15 and a Bernt Stolle FDE...well, how could I resist? (The $15 was a low blow--that's 6 minutes in the real airplane. :pardon: ) Now comes the hard part though...figuring out how to fly it well. :Sigh:

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It's hard for me to take the decisive step of deleting a little-used older purchase. I even agonize over pulling the plug on my least-favorite liveries! No wonder my house, too, is overfilled with clutter...just like my hangar.

John

Well I think everyone is missing the underlying cause and why people are buying loads of aircraft. Its called retail therapy . Aircraft are for men, what shoes are to women .

ZORAN