Sign in to follow this  
Busterbvi

FSX CFG FILE REFRESH

Greetings.

I am sure this has been discussed many times before but I cant find a definitive answer.

My FSX CFG file is corrupt and I want to scrap it and refresh it with a new one. Not done this

before so could someone kindly walk me through, step by step how to do it ? I am using Win 7, 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Busterbvi.

Hi Busterbvi, sure, very easy for you. Simply rename your current cfg file to something like old cfg or original cfg, it doesn't matter what, it simply means that it will remain in your folder and not get deleted. Now simply start FSX and it will begin exactly as it did when you started FSX for the very first time. In other words, everything will be as default, so you will have to set all the FSX slider settings up again. Not to mention any cfg tweaks you may have made. You will effectively have a competely vanilla cfg file. Hope that helps....

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Just delete the file FSX.cfg file (or relocate it to keep it as a backup). The next time you start FSX, a new one will be created.

You'll be prompted all over again to accept the various DLL's etc, and you'll have to of course recreate your preferences, but you'll have a fresh FSX.cfg to work with.

Thanks for the replies chaps, a few questions just to be clear;

1/ There are 2 FSX CFG files. One is called "CFG File" and the other "CFG Text document" which one do I delete ?

2/ Do I delete the whole file or just the text inside ?

3/ Will all my add ons be safe ?

4/ When you say "run FSX" do you mean via the desktop shortcut or load the FSX instalation CD ?

Sorry for the dumb questions but, as I say, a bit new to this !

Thanks, Busterbvi.

You can copy or delte both of them but the one that matters is the one with .cfg at the end.

It is the complete file because fsx will create a new one once you start up the program.

Running fsx is just that. No need for an installation cd.

And finally, yes, your addons will be safe

Happy flying and good luck

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

but after reboot the computer and startup fsx you have to say YES to all the questions during firing up fsx.

Ok, so lets see if I got this right ?

1/ Back up both CFG files.

2/ Re name or delete both whole CFG files. (not just the text inside)

3/ Re boot PC

4/ Answer yes to all questions during FSX start up

5/ Re set all settings preferences

Job done ..... correct ?

3 and 4 are unnecessary. (what questions?!)

FSX requests permission to run the dll files associated with various addons (PMDG, FSDT, etc.). If you have a lot of addons you'll be clicking "yes" quite a few times whenever you start FSX with a virgin cfg. All of these permissions are added to the cfg so FSX will not ask about them each subsequent time you boot the game. When you delete your current cfg file, FSX has to go through the process of once again adding all of the approved dll files to your cfg.

Examples of cfg file permissions entries:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll.wazqntanetsftyimkqueioonwqcontruwnbincoe=1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_737NGX.DLL.bqhuccnqpvmaqqleabueocznrtheibnwwrtcukzr=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.nwatzlkqpxadqicohcwarzlcaqhtiboualncenih=1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe.hicrrthobelubkhewzqalzqthkewnuekhwpnrtha=1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\bglmanx.dll.aozthietzerrtobwrrcuoowewtnnnhttcrppbwnc=1

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

To be more precise: first FSX will ask if you want to run that addon's dll and if you say Yes, FSX will ask if you want that dll to be added to the cfg (as a trusted dll). So there are two steps for every dll. If you say No the dll won't be used and you won't get the option to add it to the cfg. However, FSX will keep on asking this until you say Yes or until you uninstall the addon.

FSX requests permission to run the dll files associated with various addons (PMDG, FSDT, etc.). If you have a lot of addons you'll be clicking "yes" quite a few times whenever you start FSX with a virgin cfg. All of these permissions are added to the cfg so FSX will not ask about them each subsequent time you boot the game. When you delete your current cfg file, FSX has to go through the process of once again adding all of the approved dll files to your cfg.

Examples of cfg file permissions entries:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll.wazqntanetsftyimkqueioonwqcontruwnbincoe=1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_737NGX.DLL.bqhuccnqpvmaqqleabueocznrtheibnwwrtcukzr=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.nwatzlkqpxadqicohcwarzlcaqhtiboualncenih=1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe.hicrrthobelubkhewzqalzqthkewnuekhwpnrtha=1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\bglmanx.dll.aozthietzerrtobwrrcuoowewtnnnhttcrppbwnc=1

That's the result of owning no add-ons at all; I never got these questions.

Thank you all for your assistance, so, the definitive answer then, is my check list above correct ? is a re boot required at some point ?

Thank you all for your assistance, so, the definitive answer then, is my check list above correct ? is a re boot required at some point ?

I don't think so. Every time I deleted my cfg to let FSX generate a new, I did not reboot.

1. Move FSX.cfg to a save place (as a backup, just in case) so it's really gone from the FSX directory

2. Restart FSX (it will create a new cfg right away)

3. Click Yes when FSX asks you if you want to use dll's from addons and also when FSX asks you if you want them to be added to the cfg as trusted dll's

4. Change all FSX settings to your liking

That's it. And if you don't use a lot of tweaks, you could simply delete the cfg. No reboot required.