Sign in to follow this  
Bobu

Aircraft recommendation needed

Hey guys, I am currently in the process of flying GA flights within the USA. At some point I want to expand out to the larger airports further away. I only have a couple of hours to fly at any given time, so being able to save everything so I can continue the flight later is critical. I think I read somewhere that some planes have limitations on that?

In any case, here are the planes I have.

Carenado Mooney

Carenado C340

RealAir Duke (both models)

RealAir Legacy

Citation Mustang

PMDG MD-11

So far I haven't spent any real time in the MD-11. What in your opinion would be a good progression? I was thinking of doing the following...

Focus on navigation and the other details in the Mooney, before graduating to the Duke. Then learn those additional systems before graduating to the Citation Mustang. When I feel real comfortable I will tackle the MD-11.

Does this sound like a good progression? I am trying not to get overloaded by going straight to something like the MD-11. What do you guys recommend? I'd like to use the planes I have, but if there is a gaping hole, I am open to another purchase.

Thanks guys.

Rob

Get ready for the PMDG 737 NGX flood gates to open up here. Seriously though I would get either the PMDG 737 NGX or (and I can hear the sighs now), the IFLY 737. I own both. I had the IFLY first then bought the PMDG because I thought I was missing something. The PMDG has better graphics perhaps. However that's not to say the IFLy doesn't have amazing graphics...it does...it's the second best. The biggest difference between the 2, IMO, is price. With the IFLY you get a lot more (737-600,700,800,900) for less money. IFLY comes with all of them. With PMDG you get just the 737-800,900 and pay another 25.00 for the 600,700.

Get the 737! If you want the considered best get the PMDG, if on a budget, get the IFLY. After all, $85.00 is a lot for an addon aircraft!

Since there aren't many good bizjets (the ES Citation C750 is good), I'd recommend flying the PMDG NGX as a general aviation BBJ - at least that's what I do. It can take some pretty small runways too :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Carenado Mooney

Carenado C340

RealAir Legacy

Citation Mustang

PMDG MD-11

So far I haven't spent any real time in the MD-11. What in your opinion would be a good progression? I was thinking of doing the following...

Focus on navigation and the other details in the Mooney, before graduating to the Duke. Then learn those additional systems before graduating to the Citation Mustang. When I feel real comfortable I will tackle the MD-11.

That sounds very good and well planned. I wished I had progressed in that structured way. :blush:

Now the funny thing about picking the later glass avionic planes is that you stop using the old nav techs and methods as the FMC does a lot. At least on the MD-11, which even auto tunes your stations and things. So, once established on that level, you mainly check if everything is doing what it should. Unless you enable failures, it mostly does. ^_^

So your mixture of planes may act as the basis to go to the new ones (G1000 Mustang and FMC MD-11) and back to the older ones, back and forth. A nice variety, so to speak.

Well, the basics are the same on all of them and flying a radial or checking the descent with the distance to your target of course remains a current and proper way of flying, it's just that the glass stuff then adds other logics to learn, on top of the basics. So, yeah, I guess starting with the smaller single engine and twin planes in VFR and IFR makes sense, but the job on e.g. the MD-11 may come in very different either way.

You could add some classic gauge airliners in between that list of yours. The A300 or the 707 or 737 come to my mind. By this, you would still use the old nav methods (which is fun), but also get used to the bigger plane and the systems in it.

That's just because the fine MD-11 represents a highly automated glass plane.

Hey guys, I am currently in the process of flying GA flights within the USA. At some point I want to expand out to the larger airports further away. I only have a couple of hours to fly at any given time, so being able to save everything so I can continue the flight later is critical. I think I read somewhere that some planes have limitations on that?

Carenado Mooney

Carenado C340

RealAir Legacy

Citation Mustang

PMDG MD-11

Does this sound like a good progression? I am trying not to get overloaded by going straight to something like the MD-11. What do you guys recommend? I'd like to use the planes I have, but if there is a gaping hole, I am open to another purchase.

Thanks guys.

Rob

You already have a nice selection of aircraft. I recommend you visit www.Flyaoamedia.com and explore some serious training in your MD-11. Chris Palmer has the best training available for sim pilots.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Get ready for the PMDG 737 NGX flood gates to open up here. Seriously though I would get either the PMDG 737 NGX or (and I can hear the sighs now), the IFLY 737.

I will definitely check out the iFly version. I have read a lot about the 737 NGX, but sort of feel like I should really learn the MD-11 first, since I already own it. I am wondering if both the MD-11 and 737 NGX overlap in terms of real-world usage. Are they both more or less domestic usage a/c?

Since there aren't many good bizjets (the ES Citation C750 is good), I'd recommend flying the PMDG NGX as a general aviation BBJ - at least that's what I do. It can take some pretty small runways too :)

Interesting. So there really aren't too many planes in the bizjet class? That would have been one hole I'd like to fill, in addition to transatlantic flights. Thinking that the PMDG 747 v2 would be coming along before I got to that level!

That sounds very good and well planned. I wished I had progressed in that structured way. :blush:

It was accidental. I assure you!

You already have a nice selection of aircraft. I recommend you visit www.Flyaoamedia.com and explore some serious training in your MD-11. Chris Palmer has the best training available for sim pilots.

Ray

I just looked over the site, and I LIKE it! Excellent idea. Thanks Ray.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

raymar, on 20 August 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

Ray

I just looked over the site, and I LIKE it! Excellent idea. Thanks Ray.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Thanks. You may wish to read this review that uses the PMDG MD-11F. http://avsim.com/pag...Combo/MD11.html (Make sure you click on the small images for some breathtaking views.)

BTW, I own both the iFly737NGX and the PMDG 737NGX and would recommend the PMDG 737NGX to anyone, however, the MD-11 that you already own is not being used and can and will keep you throughly entertained for some time with good training. You can adapt any existing airliner tutorial for the MD-11 with minimal effort and maximum enjoyment.

Not to start a war with the B737 crowd, but the MD-11 was one of those aircraft that 'was way ahead of its time'. It was far superior in many ways, especially the glass cockpit and two man crew, to the first two or three batches of 737s. Only when the 737s got up to about the -700 was anything new and interesting introduced when compared to the MD-11. It was mostly bad timing that hurt the MD-11, not the design or implementation.

No, on comparing the flight and use of the 737 and MD-11 for domestic flights. The MD-11 is only used for freight by FedEx and for charter work by a few other big names, whereas the 737 is used for mostly packing as many passenger seats as the law will allow into the small spaces all over the world, including the USA. But, the smaller ones do make great looking and flying business jets. I really do like flying the PMDG 737-600 and -700 as BBJs or the Navy C40 paint.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thanks Ray! I will definitely plan on learning the ins and outs of the MD-11 before moving on to the 737 and possibly 747 v2 from PMDG. Hands full at the moment. BTW, I have watched 5 episodes of Aviator 90, and they are good (and free)! Thanks again for the tip.

If you want a mini biz jet, and like the G1000, then the Flight1 Cessna Mustang is the best out there.

Keep in mind that it's hardly faster than the Turbine Duke, although it does have a higher cruise altitude.

The VC and cabin are a work of art, and some very nice repaints available. Very easy to fly but it's good if you want to learn the G1000 functionality (other planes don't have as many g1000 features modeled).

Or you could fly the NGX-600 as a BBJ as others have said, but to me the NGX is an airliner

The plane that is most realistic and enjoyable that I keep going back to is the PMDG J41. After you get used to it initially it is easy to fly and makes me feel like a real pilot.

I bought the PMDG MD 11 two months ago but haven't gotten into it too much until today. What made me start today? Yesterday I saw an MD-11 tanker landing at Travis AFB....it is a huge aircraft! and beautiful.

I may have to disagree with another post though. My understanding is that the MD-11 suffered do to it's poor performance and/or fuel economy of course that would not have mattered if they had no other choice (737).

Get the PMDG J41! at jr.com $39.99 no tax/shipping

If you want a mini biz jet, and like the G1000, then the Flight1 Cessna Mustang is the best out there.

He's already got that one... according to his original post... I still disagree with PMDG that there's no market for a quality bizjet but hey!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The Flight1 Mustang looks sooo dated graphically tho! It just looks fake to me at least. I can't bring myself to get that or the ES Citation X. But, I really do want a bizjet!

I like your progression plan. Especially if you are new to VOR to VOR navigation along jetway (or Victor airways).

In glass cockpits you are monitoring the automation (as someone mentioned) so if you don't know the basics you won't know what you are looking at aside from a magenta line.

One last thing: the MD11 is kinda quirky as it has some unique systems. Not quite a Boeing and not a Airbus but some similarities to both. If you do get the PMDG 737 (or iFly) and learn that FMC, you'll then know most FMC functions of the 747, 757 & 767. Not sure about the 777 and 787 but I'd put a small wager that they are very close.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Dated? Hmm you're the first person I've heard mention that... I think it looks great!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |