Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Play with those ground friction coefs... It pays!

My C172, the default after all with a "tweaked" rolling friction coef for the main gear performs now beautifully under stron crosswinds, way above the operational limits of the real airplane :-)

Try it - CONFIGURE!!!.... It's all there, I start to believe ;-)

P.S.: Thanks GoranM :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thx Goran :-)

In the old FSX times I spent 90% tweaking, 8% editing airfiles, 2% either flying or looking for alternatives....

With X-Plane, there are no tweaks needed, simply configure using the configuration screens/menus and airfile editing is not only a lot more interesting through PlaneMaker but also a lot more didactic :-)

Net result: I "fly" the thing, instead of "fight"-ing it :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

So in a post about tweaking an aircraft to make it work better you say one of the advantages of XP is not needing to tweak?

*ducks and hides* :)

So in a post about tweaking an aircraft to make it work better you say one of the advantages of XP is not needing to tweak?

Touché!!!!

:rolleyes: It's the kind of tweaking that makes the difference :-) In FSX I had to open CFG and XML (andf other types...) files and use hints from others without sometimes really knowing what I was doing, or I could painfully open an airfile and try to modify tables/registers.... In X-plane not only do I have a clean interface to do it, but the "tweaking" I was referring to had more to do with adapting a default aircraft model to some settings that, IMHO, make it respond more realistically to control inputs/environment...

I believe that when we use quality add-ons, no editing should be required or even tried, under the risk of ruining the results...

Using plane-maker to edit an "airfile" in x-plane can't compare to any of the manual editing I have done in the past in MSFS, if I do not want the airfiles massaged by (great) programs like AirEd...

But, above all, I am really enjoying almost every aspect of X-Plane, and that makes me look/sound very positive, maybe :-)

BTW: take the time to try FlightGear 2.8!!!! It's certainly worth the try :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I'll try it out. I tried it out a year or two ago and it was too rough for my tastes but I'll look at it again.

And I just had to tease. The amount of control XP gives each aircraft is definitely an asset. One of these days I'll start learning it since well every plane I've tried needs some tweaking (but hey I like tweaking) :)

What did you change the rolling coeffient of friction to? I'm just thinking, isn't one consequence of this tweak going to be a shorter landing distance?

I'd have thought that the maximum (static?) coeffient would be a more sensible number to tweak for preventing those crosswind skids.

edit: Just tried it. I set coeffiencient from 0.035 to 0. Then I took off in a 26kt cross wind - right on the centreline. I like it!