Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

B-55 GNS430 & GNS530 confusion - but work OK in Cessna 310R

I am really confused about the relationship between the GNS530 and GNS430 in the B-55.

-Sometimes changes I make in one GPS change the same setting in the other GPS sometimes they don’t.

-Sometimes the 530 and 430 are each set direct to a different target in the Views/Instrument/GPS window. The 530 in the VC window agrees with the 530 in the other window while the VC 430 target is set to a 3rd value.

I purchased the B-55 on August 19 so I think it is the most current release.

I have the MilViz Cessna 310R with the same GNS530/GNS430/KAP-140/GTX330 instrument panel and have none of the problems shown below. Those instruments work just as the manuals describe. I have no problem using the Cessna navigation instruments to conduct some pretty complicated flights and flight plans. It is only the B-55 that confuses me!

When I am in any VC window I have the GNS530 set direct to KSAN and the 430 is set for direct to KSEE. All the data displayed looks correct.

When I do a shift+F2 or Views/Instrument/GPS I see the GNS530 is set direct to KSAN and the 430 is also set for direct to KSAN and the data window in the 430 is set to KSMF.

When I change the GNS530Direct to target in one window it does get changed in the other window.

When I change the GNS430 direct to target in the GPS window it changes there and in the VC window.

I cannot make any changes to the GNS430 direct to target in any VC window. None of the hot spots around the lower right knob are active. Those same hot spots work fine in the GPS window but a change there usually does not reflect into the VC GNS430 display.

Additonally, the 530 GPS window will not show the map display while the the GNS530 shown at the same time in any VC window does show the map as well as any of the data windows.

When I tune NAV1 (GNS530?) or NAV2 (GNS430) in either the VC or GPS window the frequency is reflected in the other window.

What do I do about:

GNS430 GPS window and VC displays show different targets?

I can’t change the GNS 430 target in the VC display due to inactive hot spots?

Changing the GPS window GNS 430 target does not update the VC GNS430 target?

GPS window GNS530 display will never show map display?

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

we will look at this issue...

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

First of all, the GNS530 and GNS430 units are precisely the same for the C310 and the B/E55.

Secondly, it is a limitation of FS's gps module itself that prevents the 2d and VC instances of the GPS units from being completely "synchronized." BTW, this has been true since FS2004 first introduced the fs9gps.dll...

Some commands will affect both the 2d instance and the VC instance simultaneously, but most will not.

The 'hot spots' in the VC for the GNS430 are fully active, but hard and/or impossible to use unless you hide the yoke first.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I do have the yokes hidden!

I have no problem finding the hot spots in the MilViz Cessna 310R

Here are some specific examples of problems – some are not so important some are annoying.

GNS530

.V click – ID appears at radio frequency in VC window but not GPS window

No matter where I look and how careful I am – the cursor never changes to +/- or hand to allow frequency tuning in the GPS window – works fine in VC and I have no problem in 310R

Holding CLR down in either window does not return to default NAV in other window. Have to use CLR in both to keep windows in synch - same in 310R

Direct to WPT (D->) In VC window Left/Right click on upper knob works but not lower so no way to use keyboard to enter WPT - works fine in GPS window. This is annoying since I do direct keyboard input of many waypoints and I don't keep the GPS window open most of the time.

In VC window CANNOT move thru pages in a group - BIG PROBLEM due to following!

In GPS window – moving thru page groups does not update VC window -same in 310R

In GPS window – moving thru pages in a group does not change VC window -work OK in 310R

Scrolling thru a list in either VC or GPS window does not update other window -same in 310R

- this is a very annoying problem - I can not use the VC with any except the first page in a group and changes in the GPS window do not reflect into the VC window

GNS430

Same problem with CLR as in 530

In GPS window – moving thru page groups does not update VC window

In VC cannot move thru pages in a group

In GPS move thru pages in a group does not change VC

Iin VC there is no way to EVER see anything except first page in a group

Same problem with Direct to WPT as in 530

There are many other problems but this is enough for now

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

If you wish to return the product, please PM me and I will arrange it.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

MilViz

I am not complaining! I really enjoy the B-55 and 310R and intent to learn how to fly them.

I am asking for help - I thought I understood GPS and the GNS530/430 pretty well but am having trouble making your version work as I expect.

Maybe I have unreasonable expectations - for example:

GNS530 - sitting at KSEE I have a Direct To WPT for KLAX

NAV page 1 show the map I would expect pointing to KLAX

NAV2 shows the appropriate KLAX map and data fields

NAV3 showsThe radio frequencies for KSAN - ???

WPT1, WPT2, WPT3 shows the data for KSEE (my DIRECT TO WPT is still KLAX)

WPT4 shows the data for INT MA269

WPT5 shows the data for NDB MY

WPT6 shows the data for NKX

all that data above is for the APT KSEE not my WPT of KLAX

Why does the WPT show my current location information rather than the information about my waypoint?

Is that the way a real GNS530 works?

Maybe I'm confused because I work on lots of marine GPS instruments and am expecting the aviation GPS to work the same way!

I think if you want a "fully featured" GPS system... I would suggest that you get the RXP versions. Those offer far more than ours do...

Sure - that would be an option - spend yet more money!

The real life GNS 530 Pilots Guide in reference to the WPT pages says "Upon active navigation changes, the active destination airport is used as the default airport on the WPT pages." so I assumed that is what your GNS 530 would do.

No big deal if it doesn't - I'll just always remember to manually enter the navaid or airport I am concerned with into the WPT page

Now about the inability to see more than the first page of a group on the VC 530 when I can easily move thru all the pages on the GPS window? That is the only really problem that I can see.

In the real life GNS530 - the 3rd page in the NAV group is the TERRAIN page but your 3rd page is the DEPARTURE frequencies - does your GNS530 not have a TERRAIN page modeled?

My friend, what part of "this is an FS limitation" was unclear? This behavior you're describing is no different than the FS default GPS...

...it is simply not possible to synchronize a 2d GPS and a 3d GPS. For that matter, we can't even synchronize two instances of the GPS between a 2d panel and a 2d popup window! Try it with the default C172 in FSX and you'll see what I mean.

As for the clickspots in both VC and 2d popup panels, in all the years since I programmed these units, this is the very first time anyone has reported any problem(s).

I don't know why you're having a problem with keyboard entry either. I use the keyboard all the time myself for directly typing in an ICAO or airport name. You are enabling the cursor, then rotating the large knob once to enable the flashing input, right?

In the real life GNS530 - the 3rd page in the NAV group is the TERRAIN page but your 3rd page is the DEPARTURE frequencies - does your GNS530 not have a TERRAIN page modeled?

No, since the sim doesn't support that feature.

By the way, have you opened and read the included manual(s) for these versions of the GNS530 and GNS430? If not, please do so. You'll find among other things an illustration showing were the 2d clickspots for the knobs are located.

Fr. Bill    

n4gix

I was not / am not trying to complain about the B-55 and C310R - I am just trying to get some answers and your response was less than helpful.

That was a strange and condescending response! For example:

I said: "In GPS window – moving thru pages in a group does not change VC window -work OK in 310R" yet you insist it does not work.

You tell me the SIM does not support the terrain feature yet my stock Baron 58 does show terrain in the GPS - are we talking about the same thing?

I said the lower click spots don't work in the B-55 but I have no problem with them in the C310R. I have carefully explored the entire surface area on and around the knobs. I run two copies of FSX - one with the C310R GPS display and one with the B-55 GPS display - I can click the C310 spots but when I go to the same spot in the B55 - nothing happens - no hand and no +/-

I use the keyboard for direct GPS waypoint entry in dozens of other planes with no problem - including the B-55 in the GPS window. It is just in the VC that the direct keyboard does not work - user error? How?

You did not address the issue of WPT window 3 showing departure frequencies for KSAN when all the other windows show data for KLAX which is the WPT

You did not address the issue that the the GNS530 Direct To WPT is set to KLAX yet the default airport data is set to KSEE which is the closest airport - the real life GNS530 manual indicates the default airport should be set to the WPT airport. Do I misunderstand the real life manual?

I have memorized the MilViz offered manuals for the GNS430 and 530 and have also carefully studied the real world manuals.

I wrote and supported operating system software for over 30 years. I observed that the standard response of many technicians to unknown/unanticipated and unique problems was 1) blame the user 2) tell the user they didn't read the manual 3) tell the user no one else has the problem.

I guess nothing has changed in SIM software support.

I'll keep experimenting and learn some workarounds - the typical users response to tech support.

Well, I honestly do not have any answers that will satisfy you then. Everything you've cited as an example has been tested and retested by both myself and many others, and to date I've been unable to replicate your reported issue(s).

Of course my initial thought is going to be "PEBKAC." With well over six thousand of my GNS530/430 gauges having been sold through -so far- six different third-party companies, and you being the only one to present any issue at all, much less a veritable symphony of 'em...

...which proximate cause would be the more likely? :wacko:

I will also mention that the technique used on the C310R for the 3d version is not quite the same as that used by the B/E55 model. Were it my decision, I'd go back and use those same techniques on the C310R, since they are really much better.

When you speak of "terrain," to what precisely are you referring? Because both units do have the standard terrain maps displayed by default (in fact, you can only declutter them, but not eliminate them entirely).

If however your are by chance meaning the "colored terrain overlay" then that too is supported, albeit hidden from view. Clicking in the upper left corner of the 2d popup versions will turn that feature on/off. The reason for not including that in the manual is simply because it's not possible in the VC version, since the "gauge bezel" is not used for texture there.

Now, all that aside I have discovered that there is some inconsistent mouse click and mouse wheel behavior between the 3d knobs and the 2d 'mouse zones' and I will be looking into finding/fixing those.

If you wish to email me directly at n4gix@comcast.net I'll gladly send you a copy of the fixed gauges to test before releasing as a service update. :Peace:

Fr. Bill    

I think you should contact me by PM and we will arrange an immediate refund.

I will repeat - I love the Milviz B-55. I am just trying to understand some of the odd behavior.

I have been a serious user of real life GPS since the early 1990s and I like to try to experiment and learn how things work. I have 5 GPSs on my boat wired to two different autopilots and two different computers that I built special for the boat. The GPS and computers do all the navigation and 98% of the steering- even with the big Spinnaker up. I have sailed the entire Canadian, Vancouver Island, US and Mexican Pacific coasts in that boat many times and my GPS/autopilot is the single most important set of electronics on the boat. I sail the boat by myself, with no one else on board, and really depend on the GPS for weeks at a time.

SO - I'm trying to learn how the GNS430 and 530 work.

I am not trying to complain - I'm just asking for suggestions on how to work around some of the anomalies I've seen in the B-55 GPS.

I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!

PS - I was also a computer programmer and specialized, during my eary career, in writing code to connect all kinds of electronic devices to computers.

There are no suggestions. What can I say. It is what it is.