Sign in to follow this  
MattM1121

KGEG ILS 21 questions

Greetings,

Someone from RealAir was writing about how people use gagets, GPS, etc... to do a lot of navigation. When I first started simming I had an Atari 800XL with 64k RAM and Sublogic Flight Simulator 2. With Charles Gulick I learned how to do navigation using dual DME and ADF. So for me the real challange of doing instrument procedures is using minimul equipment. The new GPS, moving maps, etc...are really nice and are cool to use. But sometimes I really like to put on my navigator cap and see how well I can really do. Using something like FS Flight Keeper is really good as a review and critique tool.

Anyway, I'm starting to flap my gums a little too much here.

(NOS Chart)

I'm looking at KGEG ILS 21 and I'm wondering how to get set up at the IAF. It's 13.1 NM from I-GEG and it's a holding pattern. (I'm ashamed to admit that I've never done a procedure with a holding pattern. I always passed on those) I'll be coming in from ZOOMER ONE so I'll be heading to the IAF on radial 025 from GEG. I don't understand how to get into a left holding pattern from the position I'll be coming from. What is the proper technique to get into a 1 min pattern like this?

How long am I supposed to be in the holding pattern before I decide to head to the FAF?

Also, I noticed that the approach plate has no FAF to MAP speed/time chart. Why is that?

In the profile view there is a box in the upper left that has the number 4200 on top, and arrow in the middle pointing up, and at the bottm GEG R-027. What does that represent?

I appreciate anyones help with this.

Thanks,

-Matt

I know this approach well. I used to teach at Geiger and I also flew a King Air out of Felt's Field and flew both the arrival and approach 30-40 times.

I'm looking at KGEG ILS 21 and I'm wondering how to get set up at the IAF. It's 13.1 NM from I-GEG and it's a holding pattern. (I'm ashamed to admit that I've never done a procedure with a holding pattern. I always passed on those) I'll be coming in from ZOOMER ONE so I'll be heading to the IAF on radial 025 from GEG. I don't understand how to get into a left holding pattern from the position I'll be coming from. What is the proper technique to get into a 1 min pattern like this?

The first hint is to read the notes on the bottom of the ZOOMR1 arrival. It says from the GANGS intersection expect radar vectors to final approach course. They will give you radar vectors to intercept the course for the approach. They usually vector you up around the north because there are less hills and they can get you lower. I've never had to hold at the fix and they have never cleared me direct LUCEV for a course reversal I've only heard airplanes flying it by request. If you do request to do the reversal then you enter it like a standard holding pattern. From the GANGS intersection on the ZOOMR1 you would fly direct to the fix. Once you hit the fix you would turn right to a heading of 060° (30° to the reciprocal on the protected side). Head outbound for 1 minute then turn back around to the left to intercept the approach course of 210. You don't have to go round and round unless they tell you to hold at LUCEV, just continue the approach in and land.

Also, I noticed that the approach plate has no FAF to MAP speed/time chart. Why is that?

It requires DME

In the profile view there is a box in the upper left that has the number 4200 on top, and arrow in the middle pointing up, and at the bottm GEG R-027. What does that represent?

That is the graphical representation of the missed approach. The textual version is up above and says that you want to fly out on the R027 from GEG and once you get to GEG you do a standard hold on the R028.

Hope this clears up some questions.

Thanks so much Chris. This really clears up some hand wringing issues that I was trying to grasp.