Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

USA Roads released!

Perchance do you have FSG landclass 1.07? I saw that 1.07a fixes a similar problem you describe in parts of Illinois...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Landclass textures DO have their own faux roads though:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80783.jpgAnd, in this shot outside of Caldwell-Essex county (KCDW) in northern NJ - there is quite a jumble of roads - but you don't really notice that in the sim. In fact, I went into the sim to take a couple of shots showing that there wasn't a jumble - my impression is that it looks great in the sim, dispite the fact that this shot looks to show the contrary. It might be hard to find your street if you live in an area like this, but it is still much improved over default. I'm sure a clever sour could release some edited lc textures without the roads...of course that would cause problems outside of the USA.Best,sgPS>Great job flight1 and scenery solutions!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest panda234

next question--will this be available for other countries? I'm from Canada and would love a Canadian version, and I'm sure many from Europe are thinking the same thing. If so, I'm wondering how the "crossover" from the USA to Canada would work as many of the roads are connected. Hmmm, this would be some cool....billg

Thanks for saving me a response to the former post re Landclass.Meantime, that looks jumbled to me. I'll hang on a bit and see the rest of the story. How well does it work with the Arrington Night textures or the fabulous ones formerly done by Chris Willis?Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Bill,The product is based on very accurate source data licensed by Scenery Solutions. The source data is the same you might see used in GPS applications. This data typically comes at a premium cost to us.We have had some discussions with vendors regarding other parts of the globe. However, they have not yet been receptive due to the low cost of the product (what they consider low anyway).We will keep trying. If they see the product do well for the USA, they may reduce their demands somewhat.I can tell you that Canada would be a very strong possibility.Cheers,Allen KriesmanScenery Solutions

WOW!Very impressed. Which my house showed up on that empty lot. In rural areas (KLWB home airport), it may be even more impressive as it is so easy to follow known paths.Found only one odd thing which may be intended. Just to compare, in the control panel I checked FS2004 defaults and went back to them. I don't know why anybody would ever want to do this on a permanent basis. When I again tried to check USA Roads, it told me that this would be implemented the next time FS2004 was started. It did not. It retained the FS2004 default roads. The only way I was able to again implement USA Roads was to go into the control mgr. uninstall USA Roads and start over. Even trying to just reinstall over the existing installation did not work. Choosing between major roads and all roads worked ok.Happy flying:RTH

Guest wathomas777

the answer to that question is how much the data costs?This data that they used is not free. In the US, the data they got from what ever company they used, was inexpensive enough to make this a reality.Just like scenery mesh, we haven't seen an explosion of mesh globally until this year where SRTM data has been readily obtainable for a good price.Flight One has mentioned that they would like to make a European version but the data now is too expensive.It's quite possible that by FS2006 we may see this type of coverage for Europe, Australia, and Japan and Canada. However, I doubt we get global coverage due to the lack of data existing.I spent 6 years in Hawaii, and I would love for them to have an Alaskan/Hawaiian Addon. (for a fraction of the price). I've downloaded it, but now need to wait until next Friday to make the purchase (that sucks!)As revolutionary as Mesh has been to flight sim, this is something that needs to be incorporated in future versions of Flight Sim. Heck Microsoft used to own Expedia, so they should have access to the data.

Guest Armstrang

I'm up here in Bremerton WA, but I do most of my sim flying out of Reno. I have my parking spaces on the Guard ramp, where I spent many years getting paid to do something I would have gladly paid them for, instead.Anyway, the RF-4's are long gone, and so am I. But I have been waiting for this road program to come out. I want to have a look at all the old places I used to go from 1968 to 1999. I want to check up on my old house at 4910 Spring Drive, and get a bird's eye view of the Guard base. It would br fun to fly some low-level routes and see the roads correctly. Maybe even look around for a place to return to when I get to move back to the USA.But - I have to figure out how to download with a modem, knowing I can only tie up the phone for a few hours at a time. I may have to just wait until next year or after when we move and get DSL. Anyway, this looks like a great program! I am having fun just reading about it.

Scott, thanks...that was exactly the problem. I downloaded the latest landclass from Justin's web site....I am delighted with what I have seen so far of u.s. roads, tho I am not sure I have been able to pick out my exact street, or neighborhood. so little time, so much to do...:-)thanks to all the developers at flight1 for this one...and, thanks to Justin Tyme for his continuing improvements to his work. Sherm

fwiw, wrigley field is sitting right on addison avenue in chicago, instead of the intersection of addison and clark where it should be.however, I don't think it's going to make much difference for the cubs..:-)Sherm

Guest adambar

What a great add-on along with Ultimate Traffic,FScene and FS Genesis mesh,thats about as real as it gets.

Can somebody post a picture flying over downtown Atlanta both in afternoon and at early evening or night? THis is where I live and about the only "real" way I can compare this.Thanks (a lot!)Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest sssummer

Thanks for the reply re FS Genesis.. Anybody try it with the Megasceneries?

I tried it with Megascenery LA. Megascenery either overrides USA Roads, or overlays it. In any case, you see no USA roads in the Megascenery area. See the attached screenshot showing the boundary between Megascenery and regular scenery. The roads match up well!Jon