Sign in to follow this  
PatrickM

A hard dicision between i7-2700K/-3770K

Hello Flightsimmers,

i'am owning a Q9550 OC @ 3.6Ghz /vCore 1.25 (aircooled with an Sythe Mugen 3 Rev. B) and an ATI HD4870.

And I like to upgrade to P3D, but my current hardware running P3D not so well...

After reading many threads and tests here and elsewhere, I still can't decide between an i7-2700K or an i7-3770K!

The 2700K seems to be the "cooler" one as the i7-3770K... So the OC results on the 3770K will be lower!

Wich is the "better" one?

Any help is appreciated!

Greetings from Germany :-)

If money isn't an issue I'd probably go 3770K with relatively fast RAM, and a good cooler, Z77 motherboard.

ram example

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=397&c1=1&c2=3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I would go for the latest and greatest. An IB @ 4.5GHZ + 2400MHZ RAM = SB @ 4.8GHZ.

There is no reason why you should buy a 2 year old CPU when new ones just came out the door from Intel...

Overclocking is unnecessary. I ran the PMDG 737 NGX over Bay Area, with clouds and US cities X San Francisco (great!) it ran just "fine."

i7 2600 3.4 ghz

The settings were maxed-out except water about 2/3.

I would go for the latest and greatest. An IB @ 4.5GHZ + 2400MHZ RAM = SB @ 4.8GHZ.

There is no reason why you should buy a 2 year old CPU when new ones just came out the door from Intel...

I don't disagree, but Ivy Bridge has a heat issue when overclocked. A mild overclock can make an Ivy Bridge CPU run 20°C higher, so for overclocking Sandy Bridge is way better.

Overclocking is unnecessary.

I'm sorry, but that is so contrary to everything we went through here in hardware forums. Tests speak for themselves. Overclock scales well and it is well worth, especially 4.8 area.

Agreed and agreed...

Overclocking makes a huge difference, especially with high monitor resolutions, lots of AA/AF and cranked settings

While the temps are higher with IB, Ben is correct, clock for clock IB beats SB.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I would actually go ahead and say 2700K is cutting the 3770K really close. It can OC higher, and thus cutting the edge off the 3770K, for which you need a really special cooling or delidding to make comparative.

Albeit, in the end, the differences are probably so little, that you probably won't care. Or do you? :lol:

clock for clock IB beats SB.

But not by much, doesn't it? Some 5% or so if I remember correctly?

I would actually go ahead and say 2700K is cutting the 3770K really close. It can OC higher, and thus cutting the edge off the 3770K, for which you need a really special cooling or delidding to make comparative.

Albeit, in the end, the differences are probably so little, that you probably won't care. Or do you? :lol:

But not by much, doesn't it? Some 5% or so if I remember correctly?

About that... then again most is our artificial FSMarks....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

About that... then again most is our artificial FSMarks....

Nah, that's what I've been reading on CPU comparisons on other sites.

While the temps are higher with IB, Ben is correct, clock for clock IB beats SB.

Yes, but not enough to eliminate the need for overclocking. An overclocked Sandy Bridge will beat a stock or mildly overclocked Ivy Bridge at any case, since you can only overclock Ivy Bridge so much before running into extreme heat issues.

The heat issues seem to come from a poor quality thermal interface material (affecting desktop CPUs since mobile ones don't use it). Attempting to replace it will alleviate the problem somewhat, but will void your warranty.

OP, if you want to overclock, then go for the 2700K. Go for the 3770K if you prefer to stay at stock.

I am not an expert but I just purchased an IB 3770K 8GB 2100 RAM GTX570 all running a mild OC and it is a monster. Swallops up whatever FSX stuff you throw at it maxed out. FS9 just goes into the 130+ FPS! No need for a big OC.

Word Not Allowed guide helps a great deal.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hello Shez,

what do you mean with an mild OC?

I have OC'ed my CPU, as you can read in my first post , so I have a bit OC experience...

I hope you understand what I mean... (I'am german)