Sign in to follow this  
PatrickM

A hard dicision between i7-2700K/-3770K

I'll just wait for the next gen CPUs :rolleyes:

Certainly! It's not like Sandy Bridge users need to go out and upgrade to Ivy Bridge!

Sandy Bridge users ought to keep in mind though that most of the people posting on these forums asking for advice on what to upgrade to probably are not already running Sandy Bridge, so Ivy Bridge should be considered then, IMHO.

For the record, I'm quite looking forward to upgrading to Haswell myself, only another 8 months now! In the mean time, 5GHz Ivy ought to hold me over.

Sandy Bridge users ought to keep in mind though that most of the people posting on these forums asking for advice on what to upgrade to probably are not already running Sandy Bridge, so Ivy Bridge should be considered then, IMHO.

Agreed. It makes little sense to go from SB to IB.... but from gen1 i7 to IB.... yes!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I was going to post the same question - i7-2700k vs 3770k. Both are around $300 (Canadian). There's lots to read about this topic on this site, so thanks everyone for your testing and benching.

As someone not already on SB, my conclusion is that IB is the better choice for FSX. Reasons:

- Faster RAM (like 2133mhz) supported natively on the Z77. Someone posted some numbers around here showing increasing the RAM frequency yield smoother flight and more FPS than tighter timings.

- More IPC on IB makes up for the fewer 0.1ghz at the top end of overclocking that SB gets

- I think once you're in i7 territory, you're going to use the best CPU cooler you can find, so you can get the most out of the chip for the longest time. So getting SB because it produces less heat doesn't make sense to me.

Here in Canada, there's not much difference between the two platforms, SB and IB. Maybe $20-30 once the CPU and mobo have been purchased.

I'm still happy with my Clarkdale i3 setup, but I'm only flying GA/SEP aircraft. No fancy add ons or heavy metal for me. But no way does it run at 4.3+ghz with stability on stress tests anymore, I just about get away with FSX. I guess overclocking and degradation take their toll on a chip! But it was impressive while it lasted for a $150 CPU.

Edited to say - I have been off this forum for a while but I am surprised that Intel's latest and greatest still doesn't allow max settings play on FSX. Incredible!

Will we finally get there with Haswell or are we still a couple of generations away from all sliders to the right?!?

5600x, 6800xt, Samsung Odyssey HMD+

I have OCed the IB to 4.5 with a $30 air cooler.. 1.165v Max temp <80

IF you have the Sandy Bridge ...stay with it..no need to go IB

Anything less, go for the IB and not the SB.

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hello Shez' date='

what do you mean with an mild OC?

I have OC'ed my CPU, as you can read in my first post , so I have a bit OC experience...

I hope you understand what I mean... (I'am german)[/quote']

Hi Patrick, my OC is around 3.9ghz only controlled by the motherboard..

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I have been off this forum for a while but I am surprised that Intel's latest and greatest still doesn't allow max settings play on FSX. Incredible!

Although some may experience something like that, I have been at maximum FSX settings ever since I build balanced 2600K and 2700K systems. Max settings with the right modifications (performance and stability enhancements) at 4.6 to 5.0 Ghz (2600K), or 4.8 to 5.2 Ghz (2700K) produce a butter smooth high fps experience with the most complex scenery and aircraft, without any reduction in quality.

Kind regards,

After all this comments (Wow, thank you!), have I decided to go with Intels Ivy Bridge. It will be hard to OC this CPU but with a de-lidding tutorial from TechguyMaxC it should be more or less possible (remember: I'am cooling my CPU with air) :-)

Hello Simmers :smile:

First of all, this forum hardware forum is great , and i follow the discussion's about sandy vs ivy bridge with big interest. This is because , for the first time i'm

building me a dedicated pc , for fsx with addons only. My current pc ,has been sort of a "all purpose" machine and is really old. But it's good for non demanding tasks. Specs:

( Processor: Intel® Core™ Dup CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz OC to 3.6GHz + MBO Asus P5K + GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Top(896 MB) + Ram 4.00 GB + HD Samsung 700GB + OS Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit).

Recently i bought new components for my new build , still missing : Graphic-card +processor and a second ssd for fsx + os.

New components:

Case :Corsair Carbide 500R

Psu :CORSAIR AX 850W PROFESSIONAL SERIES MODULAR PSU

Mbo :Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Intel Z77 4xDDR3 Socket 1155 ATX

Kjøling :CORSAIR H100 HYDRO CPU COOLER S-775/1155/1366/2011/AM3

Ram :G.skill Trident X 2x4GB DDR3 2400MHz

Ssd1 O.S :Samsung 830 Series Desktop 128GB SSD R:520/W:320 2.5" SATA-3

I'm really in doubt, should i go for the Core i7 3770K eller Intel® Core i7-2700K Processor . Google is Your friend, they say and i agree. But after weeks reading this forum and many posts in other forums i'm still confused. Some say : "go for Sandy, and other insist on Ivy" Some posts indicate a massive gain in de-lidding, and other; little to nothing. I'm not new to oc, and my first "computer" was a sharp machine with builtin "printer"( a roll of paper like the ones on a cashregister :biggrin: ) that i bought about 28 years ago. This is the only prebuilt machine i ever owned.

My question: Can anyone point me in the right direction to a de-lidding tutoriol of the ivy bridge, i'v seen many. But non of them was really any helpful. Some with

a few pictures and some vidoes of people that are using all from razor-blades to pocket knifes and a hammer . And there is also this question about lapping or not, google it, and You find all from 0 to 20C gain with lapping. And i guess lapping the IHS demands that You allready have de-lidded ? Having really trouble deciding , i really hope to get advice. And i know it's not risk-free, i have done my share of hardware molesting over the years :biggrin: . But i will like to rise my odds ,by getting so much knowledge and advice i can before i will decide on a ivy bridge or not.

Sorry for my bad English, is not my native language.

I wish You all a superb weekend :smile:

Best Regards

"Now it can not be worse", said the pessimist. " Oh Yes it can" ,said the optimist.

Although some may experience something like that, I have been at maximum FSX settings ever since I build balanced 2600K and 2700K systems. Max settings with the right modifications (performance and stability enhancements) at 4.6 to 5.0 Ghz (2600K), or 4.8 to 5.2 Ghz (2700K) produce a butter smooth high fps experience with the most complex scenery and aircraft, without any reduction in quality.

Kind regards,

Quite a statement Sir!

You mind telling us if this means ALL sliders to the right?

Kind regards,

I would only like to add that you still can easily push the performance down if you install the "correct" sceneries or aircraft though.

There are still couple of crazies out there believing that 5.2 2700K can achieve smooth 30fps with NGX and ORBX :P

Hello Simmers :smile:

First of all, this forum hardware forum is great , and i follow the discussion's about sandy vs ivy bridge with big interest. This is because , for the first time i'm

building me a dedicated pc , for fsx with addons only. My current pc ,has been sort of a "all purpose" machine and is really old. But it's good for non demanding tasks. Specs:

( Processor: Intel® Core™ Dup CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz OC to 3.6GHz + MBO Asus P5K + GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Top(896 MB) + Ram 4.00 GB + HD Samsung 700GB + OS Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit).

Recently i bought new components for my new build , still missing : Graphic-card +processor and a second ssd for fsx + os.

New components:

Case :Corsair Carbide 500R

Psu :CORSAIR AX 850W PROFESSIONAL SERIES MODULAR PSU

Mbo :Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Intel Z77 4xDDR3 Socket 1155 ATX

Kjøling :CORSAIR H100 HYDRO CPU COOLER S-775/1155/1366/2011/AM3

Ram :G.skill Trident X 2x4GB DDR3 2400MHz

Ssd1 O.S :Samsung 830 Series Desktop 128GB SSD R:520/W:320 2.5" SATA-3

I'm really in doubt, should i go for the Core i7 3770K eller Intel® Core i7-2700K Processor . Google is Your friend, they say and i agree. But after weeks reading this forum and many posts in other forums i'm still confused. Some say : "go for Sandy, and other insist on Ivy" Some posts indicate a massive gain in de-lidding, and other; little to nothing. I'm not new to oc, and my first "computer" was a sharp machine with builtin "printer"( a roll of paper like the ones on a cashregister :biggrin: ) that i bought about 28 years ago. This is the only prebuilt machine i ever owned.

My question: Can anyone point me in the right direction to a de-lidding tutoriol of the ivy bridge, i'v seen many. But non of them was really any helpful. Some with

a few pictures and some vidoes of people that are using all from razor-blades to pocket knifes and a hammer . And there is also this question about lapping or not, google it, and You find all from 0 to 20C gain with lapping. And i guess lapping the IHS demands that You allready have de-lidded ? Having really trouble deciding , i really hope to get advice. And i know it's not risk-free, i have done my share of hardware molesting over the years :biggrin: . But i will like to rise my odds ,by getting so much knowledge and advice i can before i will decide on a ivy bridge or not.

Sorry for my bad English, is not my native language.

I wish You all a superb weekend :smile:

Best Regards

Hello, i'm very sorry. It was not my intention to hijack this thread, but i dont know how to fix it. It should have been started as a new thread, but i was looking at this topic and "got lost" My deepest apology to the thread-starter

:sorry:

Can ayone advice me hov to move my post..........?????

"Now it can not be worse", said the pessimist. " Oh Yes it can" ,said the optimist.

5.2 2700K can achieve smooth 30fps with NGX and ORBX :P

What?! I always get 120FPS at max settings with my system! :Just Kidding: :LMAO: :LMAO:

I would only like to add that you still can easily push the performance down if you install the "correct" sceneries or aircraft though.

There are still couple of crazies out there believing that 5.2 2700K can achieve smooth 30fps with NGX and ORBX :P

I admit I do not have the NGX nor ORBX but to me this is the extreme not FSX normal with addon sceneries and addon aircraft and AI from UT2.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I'm really in doubt, should i go for the Core i7 3770K eller Intel® Core i7-2700K Processor .

I think the FSMark 11 Testing spreadsheet speaks volumes...

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a de-lidding tutoriol of the ivy bridge

Checkout what the Bimmercop had to say here: http://forum.avsim.n...ng/page__st__25 Also the TechguyMaxC posted a step-by-step here: http://forum.avsim.n...g-the-i7-3770k/

Do not worry about your English... it is perfectly understandable... if someone is not sure what you mean... they will ask for clarification..

I think the FSMark 11 Testing spreadsheet speaks volumes...

Checkout what the Bimmercop had to say here: http://forum.avsim.n...ng/page__st__25 Also the TechguyMaxC posted a step-by-step here: http://forum.avsim.n...g-the-i7-3770k/

Do not worry about your English... it is perfectly understandable... if someone is not sure what you mean... they will ask for clarification..

Thank You , really appreciate Your answer's :)