Sign in to follow this  
bluepilot76

Config Warning

Hi,

I am trying out J41 for the first time. I keep getting config warnings as I advance power for take off. I can not think what the problem is. I didnt get it a couple of times so thought I had it sussed but last night sat on the runway for 10 minutes and could not find the problem

I am following the check list.

And I tried all of the following

Flaps 9

Spoilers armed

Take off bugs set

Trim TO portion of green band

Power setting Flight

gust locks off.

Start up locks off

Parking brake off

It must be something really obvious can anyone help me please?

Are there any caution lights? If you proceed with the takeoff, are there any adverse flight characteristics?

Hi Sheepfu,

There are no caution lights except the amber config light that comes on if I advance the throttles. If I go ahead and take off it all seems fine and the config warning stops as the wheels leave the ground.

I just had a thought, maybe I need to Shift-2 and check the GPU is not attached or something!

Are you pushing the TOCTS before entering the runway? That will tell you if all is Ok for take-off - see the PMDG J41 Pilot Intro on page 56.

Have you set the "anti-skid" brakes to "On" - see the PMDG J41 Pilot Intro on page 61.

The Amber Light, what one are you referring to?

Hi - Yes I am pushing the TOCTS and it is confirming a problem, the amber light is CONFIG. Yes to anti-skids.

However I have flown 5 sectors tonight with no problems. I think maybe it is because i started from the free flight menu rather than loading a previous flight.

Either that or the warning panel was on mute.

I would still like to know specifically which items need to be in order to not get a config warning. I suppose its in the 500+ page manual somewhere!

Good that you get a flight without any problems. That way you know that it's unlikely to be an install issue. As has been advised previously on this forum, you need to have the original default situation aircraft in the FSX start menu to get this complex aircraft to behave itself. I personally prefer to start my J41 flights with the "Tutorial Flight" by double-clicking on it, and from there, I select a new airport and or paint scheme. Then I save that for future flights, and start my J41 flights in FSX by double-clicking on the saved flight.

Have you been successful with the "Tutorial Flight" by following the "PMDG_J41_PILOT_TUTORIAL"? That will teach you most of what you need to know to have a successful flight. Even then, the J41 has some "tricks" up her sleeve!

There is lots of excellent info to be found in this forum, if you go looking.

Happy flights ...

Hi bluepilot76,

Not flown the J41 since the NGX came out, but I think you should not arm the spoilers for take-off - this could be your problem.

John Fairman

Hey John, the PMDG tutorial on page 63 has a taxi check list and item #2 on the list is "ARM the spoilers". I think that these are needed incase of an aborted takeoff.

@Bluepilot76 -- one other thing that might make the TOCWS go off could be your FLOWS setting (the dials just above the Condition Levers) they need to be set to 3 or less for takeoff -- See page 69 of the AOM.

Thanks Pete,

Think I'll have to get her out of the hanger again - can't rely on my ageing memory!!

John Fairman

Ah maybe it was the flows, I thought I had to set them to 5. I am enjoynig flying the J41, but it certainly does have some quirks! I have had a couple of near deaths due to not managing the autopilot properly and also merrily flew 20 miles off course when I thought LNAV was doing its thing, but it wasnt!

I havent flown the tutorial but I have read through the complete tutorial twice and checked a few further things in the manual. But I could not find the specific requirements for take off config.

I will be careful to start from a modified tutorial flight from now on. Thats what I did yesterday and never had a config warning except where I deserved one!

Thanks for your help everyone!