Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Performance hit, Big one

Hi guys,

Really looking for your help and advice.

I have just today upgraded to a gtx670 which hasn't totally got rid of the problem I was having [gtx480].

I am getting lower than expected fps when on the ground at certain sceneries. Bermuda - Latin VFR is the latest, where I look down the runway and get major performance hits.

It may be something to do with the tree's or something related to that.

What can I do to try and rectify the situation? Create a new FSX config? Get my exe and dll files checked? Go to a previous driver?

What can I be looking out for,

Kindest regards,

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

You could start with a new fsx.cfg file and or try getting the latest high performance drivers from nVidia. That worked for me.

You could start with a new fsx.cfg file and or try getting the latest high performance drivers from nVidia. That worked for me.

Latest BETA or official?

Alex Ridge

Alex, how much of an impact are you seeing? I'm asking because I recall some fps problems being dependant on the scenery and some errors in there. Namely stuff which e.g. has problems with FSX SP2 or Acceleration installed.

Imaginesim airports needed a user tweak, some Taxi 2 Gate stuff needed an update to fix that and so on. For example, as soon as the runway lights came up, fps went to single digits. Nothing wrong with the card, but with the scenery.

Could this be the case or are you seeing bad fps all over the place?

Alex, how much of an impact are you seeing? I'm asking because I recall some fps problems being dependant on the scenery and some errors in there. Namely stuff which e.g. has problems with FSX SP2 or Acceleration installed.

Imaginesim airports needed a user tweak, some Taxi 2 Gate stuff needed an update to fix that and so on. For example, as soon as the runway lights came up, fps went to single digits. Nothing wrong with the card, but with the scenery.

Could this be the case or are you seeing bad fps all over the place?

It is only certain places.

Alex Ridge

You have a nice rig running. Did you try if the impact is less with a test run without antialiasing, especially the one for transparency?

You have a nice rig running. Did you try if the impact is less with a test run without antialiasing, especially the one for transparency?

I haven't played with transparency, purely because the Word Not Allowed and ryan tweaks all have something like that on.. Removing the tree bgl, completely erradicated the issue. should I turn transparency off? Will I see a notable quality decrease?

Alex

Alex Ridge

That transparency AA is a user preference. It may introduce some stutters at times and it may hit your card harder in clouds, but I have it on, just to have nicer gauge lines and things.

I couldn't give a general recommendation. Try it, if you like the gauge optics without it, it should run faster at times. Especially analogue stuff looks way nicer with the transparency AA on though.

But you seem to have hit the actual culprit. If that one bgl causes bad fps, perhaps the dev can fix it. Latin VFR had some fixes for previous airports too, also aiming at better fps.

I have had this running with the other developer, on latinvfr

I seem to the only one who has noticed this so far.

2) Is the fps counter in fsx reliable? I use fraps?

Alex Ridge

Good question on the reliable character trait. I only turned it on when I felt that something was wrong. It doesn't help on 'seeing' stutters, but if there was a tree or something leading to huge fps impact, it would surely tell the truth.

Well, the good thing is, that everybody can run it as it's always there and just needs a key press. So people also can relate to it.

Maybe you can post your findings over at the Latin VFR forums. If more folks see the fps hit with the tree bgl, there may be a fix coming. The devs are good at support from my experience.

I don't have Bermuda. But I saw the fixes for Miami.

Good question on the reliable character trait. I only turned it on when I felt that something was wrong. It doesn't help on 'seeing' stutters, but if there was a tree or something leading to huge fps impact, it would surely tell the truth.

Well, the good thing is, that everybody can run it as it's always there and just needs a key press. So people also can relate to it.

Maybe you can post your findings over at the Latin VFR forums. If more folks see the fps hit with the tree bgl, there may be a fix coming. The devs are good at support from my experience.

I don't have Bermuda. But I saw the fixes for Miami.

I have a running thread there..

Thanks for your help sir.. Any other takers?

Alex

Alex Ridge