Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Should I do it?!

Hi,

After an entire day of configuring and testing P3D, I have to say that I am very happy with the results.

Overall, the sim feels very smooth, has much better performance and offers other features that beat it's older brother, FSX.

Now to the question. - Would it be feasible for me to uninstall FSX and make a full transition to P3D at this point? - If so, what 'porting' tool do I need to use so all of my addons will install correctly?

I don't think I am going to be able to go back to FSX lol

lol welcome to the Prepar3D family Ben! Even though I'm quite comfy around Prepar3D the only thing keeping me from fully deleting FSX is Orbx scenery and how currently the migrator links to FSX scenery but inserts P3D native DLLs.. The newer sceneries install right into Prepar3D but there is still a huge chunk that doesn't and relies on their migrator tool. Supposely though they are making a full blown `mover' that will physically move all the scenery from FSX to Prepar3D and insert the P3D native runtimes so you can once and for all remove FSX.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Congrats on making the switch!

Like what was already said, it can be tough to go completely FSX-less, especially if you have certain FSX addons like Orbx scenery or some programs that rely on knowing that there is an FSX.exe in it's target directory.

If you have Orbx, use the migrator linker to link any scenery that doesn't have a dedicated P3D installer.

If you have any Aerosoft scenery, there is a post on the Aerosoft forums on getting any that don't have a P3D installer installed correctly.

One method to use for installing aircraft is to make a "ghost" directory with an FSX.exe, use a tool such as the FSWidgets Registry Utility to point to it, then install your aircraft to it. Then copy all files to the appropriate FSX directory.

SimMarket has a migrator tool that helps install into P3D, but I haven't tried it, although it has quite a few good user reviews.

Farther in the P3D forums here, there is a freeware tool for migrating, but I haven't tried it either.

Best of luck, and there are plenty of us that have "lived and learned" and can probably help. :wink:

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Hey Ben

As I said before, welcome to the dark side. :ph34r: I basically setup FSX on a different drive with all empty (I keep an empty set to replace after installs) folders / sub-folders, I then install my addons into FSX and then copy/past all folders / sub-folders into P3D, that way I don't miss anything. I then delete the FSX folders and replace them with the empty ones. After that I modify (if needed) any configuration (Example: scenery.cfg, DLL.XML and/or EXE.EML) files that may need editing.

I install them one at a time and then confirm there are no problems with P3D and then move on to the next. So far, I've found two addons that I can't use. It may be a pain my way, but I know exactly what's going in, and that it works.

P3D is my sim of choice, I will never go back to FSX, unless for some reason P3D was no longer available.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I think you'll find the FSX2P3D Migration tool from FlightSim Estonia is worth the small price. It does a nice job installing addons which are native FSX. I've used it to install several ORBX titles ( FYI...People_Flow doesnt work, not an issue for me) PMDG NGX, UTX, GEX,and FSGenesis. The only thing that I really miss is the VRS Bug. I havent had FSX on my system for several months now but I have to admit I'm considering throwing it back on just to fly the Bug.

One thing has prevented me from going 100% P3D. My RXP GNS gps. I like the WAAS appr flying in Alaska.

So the best way to become fully Prepar3d is to use the migrator tool..? I am a bit overwhelmed with the recommendations haha

I'd do it in a heartbeat but my 512 connection would take ages to download it.

So the best way to become fully Prepar3d is to use the migrator tool

I would think it would be a must have to be fully Prepard. Hehe made a funny :)

Alright... I just got the FSX to P3D migrator and I am uninstalling FSX! I am fully Prepar3d for the most immersive simulator ever built!! :Big Grin: :Big Grin: :Nerd:

Ben - Keep us posted on your experience. I have been contemplating doing the same, but just haven't convinced myself that I should.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Ben - Keep us posted on your experience. I have been contemplating doing the same, but just haven't convinced myself that I should.

I've moved over completely. Almost all of the addons I use regularly are installing perfectly with the assistance of P3D migrator! This is so awesome!!

Is it still a good option to have win 7 and P3d on two separate drives as it is for FSX or you can use one single drive ?

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

I took the plunge this week. Using the FSX2P3D migration tool, I have installed the PMDG NGX and FSUIPC. The Orbx migration tool works as advertised, so I have retained my FSX installation so that P3D can get the Orbx scenery.

Rex Essential with a P3D key works perfectly.

The only tricky stuff I've found is the need to use the migration tool when installing navdata. I'm still trying to work out FSbuild - particularly in relation to the export function. Changing the default fsx location to P3D doesn't change the default "My documents\Flight Simulator X Files" directory to the P3D one. In any event, it's easy to find the exported files in the default FSX locations and to cut and paste into the P3D ones.

I managed to get the EZDOK camera working yesterday, courtesy of a fix that you can find here. Scroll down to the 2nd post in the thread by Marnifftar, which has a link to a modified exe and also a link to a bit of cut-and-paste coding that has to be done. It's a bit fiddly, but it works. Note that I didn't find it necessary to rename Prepar3d.exe to fsx.exe. The AoA-recommended camera settings work perfectly.

As for P3D, it works just fine. My only gripe is that I can't get the throttle on my joystick to work, so it's F1-F4 atm.

All in all, a pretty painless exercise.

I've got Win7 on an SSD, with P3D running on a separate RAID5 array.

cheers,

jeff

Jeff Hunter