Sign in to follow this  
mortenha69

How to re engage climb mode

Hi md-11 simmers!

I do have a lot of questions about the logic used when climbing. But it is still too complicated to put it into one coherent question!

I'm reading, testing and then reading some more, then testing again. But I'm still puzzled at the aircraft behaviour when meddling with this. Frustrating, yet interesting! But I'm at a loss now, and humbly ask for help:

I think my first question is a straight question:

I'm at level flight FL012, and the FCP ALT is dialed to 12000. EAD shows CRZ LIM, suggesting to me that I'm in Cruise Mode. Then I want to initiate a climb to FL240 using FMC PROF. I used the following procedure (I think...):

1. I enter "240" on the "crz levels" line (LSK5?) on the INIT page.

2. I dial in 24000 on FCP.

3. And I push PROF on the FCP.

The aircraft starts to climb, but it stays in CRZ mode! I want the bird to enter climb mode again!

What I'm I doing wrong?

Perhaps Important to mention:

The FL012 was a ATC restriction, I had initially set the "crz levels" line to 240. But ATC only cleared me for FL012. So I dialed 12000 on the FCP. When I had leveled off at FL012. The "crz levels" line had been deleted, I'm unsure how or why this has happened. But it might relate to the question above.

Thanx in advance!

Morten

-----------------------------------------------

Morten Haughom

Greetings from the sticks!

N70° 22' 23 - E031° 06' 02

Vardø, Norway

As you got the flight level restriction of FL120, did you just dial in 12000 and let the aircraft climb in proof mode or did you pull/push the altitude selector?

If you are in CRZ mode you can easily get it back. Open the PERF page and then LIMITS> and there select whatever you want.

Hope that helps,

John

Hi John!

No, I'm not certain if I was climbing in PROF mode or if I pulled the ALT knob. I will recreate the scenario, and find out...

Of Course! The AUTO THRUST LIMITS page under PERF! I knew I had seen it somewhere! Thanx John!

But the procedure...

Lets say the initial condition was as described in the first post: The INIT page have no CRZ LEVELS set and FCP ALT is dialed at 12000:

3. Then pushing "CLB" LSK on AUTO THRUST LIMITS page under PERF?

Is this the "correct" approach?

Thanx Morten

Morten Haughom

Vardø, Norway

Hi Morten,

That's a pretty good question, as I am not sure what to do when you don't have a CRZ altitude entered before. Maybe you can try it that way:

1. Enter 240 on the crz levels line in the INIT page.

2. Dial in 240000 on the FCP and pull the altitude selector.

If I remember right, this should bring you in climb mode, and you don't have to change it in the PERF page.

3. Then pushing "CLB" LSK on AUTO THRUST LIMITS page under PERF?

I am not quit shure, but I think you want to press PROF between step 2 and step 3.

Hope that helps,

John

To begin with, you only use the CRZ level as a cruise level and not a ATC restriction. That would already solve the problem. If ATC restricts you to FL 120 the you just turn the altitude knob to 12000. If you are in the prof mode you don't have to press anything else. The plane will stop there. When ATC clears you higher you just dial the altitude up and the plane will automatically climb there. The knob is pulled if you want to enter the "lvl change" mode. That means that it disregards all restrictions and just tries to get there as fast as possible. Press prof and it will return to the standard mode. Since this is a very high tech aircraft you would most likely not get out of the prof mode.

Anyway, if you really want to do this way, have you tried the other way? Enter 240 and then dial up. That should make the plane enter climb mode. If you follow jonathan's tip it will go into the "lvl change" mode and disregard everything else. So I say again, just dial it up but don't pull anything as long as you are in the prof mode.

HTH,

Manfred

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Can you even engage PROF without an FMC CRZ ALT?

Paul

No

Manfred G.

John and Manfred

Thanx for advice & insight! I have not been able duplicate the initial posted problem. And I have successfully commanded the aircraft into climb mode as described by both of you.

But the vertical profile of an entire flight is still very murky. I experience no problems if I leave it alone! i.e. I set up the profile during preflight prep with every phase of flight defined (SID, CRZ LEVEL, STAR etc). Then at >400AGL I hit the AUTOFLIGHT. I understand the synoptics and anticipate the changes in flight mode through the phases of flight.

It is when I deviate from plan, the confusion starts: Most times, when I engage other modes of flight than the one planned, I'm unable to "go back" to the intended profile/plan. But I'm enjoying it! As every flight holds a promise of something new to discover!

So no grief!

But the pages FMS.40.42 to 40.46 (page 114-118 in PMDG MD-11 FMS.PDF) with the title Cruise Flight Level Change are still not making any sense to me. Or rather, it makes sense, but I'm unable to produce the expected results during flight.

I will get back to that later, I don't have enough experience yet to formulate a decent question. Don't want to bother you with noob stuff that makes you think that this guy isn't interested in learning, he just wants the recipe!

Well, I'm off to ENZV (Stavanger/Sola) from ENNA (Lakselv/Banak), should be a nice leg. And again, thanx for input :)

Morten

Morten Haughom

Vardø, Norway

Just tell us when you get a decent question. Always happy to help a fellow Scandinavian :)

Manfred G.