Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

Kerbal Space Program

Keep posting updates, Ray. While I don't expect to be playing Kerbal myself any time soon, I'm really enjoying your reports on it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Ok, I'll keep some updates coming, from time to time.

If it looks "too accessible" I can start "showing my work" with delta-v calculations, phase-angle and ejection-angle determination for transfer trajectories, manipulating orbital characteristics with radial and normal-axis burns, compensating for a planet's rotational-rate to make precision landings, the slow and lengthy orbital ballet of rendezvous and docking...

Or maybe a full mission as seen from the cockpit instruments and windows, instead of the exterior glamor shots. :)

In many ways, spaceflight is really the ultimate bush-flying. Especially in KSP, where you don't have a Mission Control back home backing you up on everything. You're pretty much just out there on your own with limited instrumentation and your own knowledge of physics.

Speaking of bush flying, here's my prospector/lander. It operates mainly on smaller airless moons and is equipped to locate resource deposits that can be collected and refined (using on-board equipment) into fuel and oxidizer.

gTVTP7i.jpg

56MU3YM.jpg

fW3VRnz.jpg

lGq3CW0.jpg

By refueling itself, it can remain "in the field" indefinitely... so long as it doesn't stray too far from the resources it needs to produce fuel in situ. Its one-hop range is actually fairly limited, as the prospecting, mining and refining equipment requires a lot of mass that would otherwise be devoted to fuel tankage.

And the cockpit view.

AgAedZo.jpg

g7uRgEC.jpg

My crew looks very confident in my flying skills, don't they?

3m1sHzU.jpg

fif9bxo.jpg

NyW7osr.jpg

But KSP really is accessible, and that is pretty amazing, that they could create such an accurate rendition of orbital mechanics and realistic spaceflight, yet still keep it accessible to those who are trying to learn about them rather than already understanding them.

In a few weeks, the free demo version will be updated to the current version of the software (the current demo is about a year old and very outdated). I don't think it's going to include all the other planets and their moons, and may leave out some things like docking, but it's going to be well worth looking at if you haven't tried KSP yet.

• Upvote 1

I brought the full version. :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Might be out of the thread's context, but.. Devon, is that you? Asymmetrical ships!

• Upvote 1

That's why the Kilrathi lost the war!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I always look forward to your updates Ray. Hope you keep them coming.

Steve

Might be out of the thread's context, but.. Devon, is that you? Asymmetrical ships!

LOL, I think anything KSP is on-topic for this thread. :)

Yeah, I join in on praising your journal, Ray. I didn't actually know that Avsim had a section for the space stuff and now I see that you've reported here for months. Some pretty ambitious projects to be honest.

I got introduced by an obvious fan and, if time allows, I will surely look closer as I'm still on the demo. But I was shown some basic things on the full version. Much more parts to start with! On my search for Kerbal and space stuff, I also ran into Orbiter which looks more boring but also raised interest. Funny sentence. Well, for both, time issue again. :( And I still want to try DCS World by the way!

My girlfriend pointed out a vital Kerbal flaw. No females! :mad: Is that true? You know, maybe there's some planet where you have to rescue a princess. What? My fantasy? Why? :huh: Seriously, where are the female astronauts kerbanauts?

Ok, it's easy to find funny Kerbal vids. Here's one where the simple pitch change actually made us laugh a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydfqfk3w5CI

That's why the Kilrathi lost the war!

:lol:

Yeah, I join in on praising your journal, Ray. I didn't actually know that Avsim had a section for the space stuff and now I see that you've reported here for months. Some pretty ambitious projects to be honest.

Well, it's mostly a dead Orbiter forum, other than this thread... which got moved here when it grew into more than a simple "thank you" post to whoever it was that started talking about KSP on the Flight forum. :)

I got introduced by an obvious fan and, if time allows, I will surely look closer as I'm still on the demo. But I was shown some basic things on the full version. Much more parts to start with!

Yeah a lot of new parts and new concepts. Many of those will be coming to the free demo, though. They've announced they will soon be updating the demo to the current code, but will be leaving out some aspects. I'm assuming there won't be any of the other planets and they may leave out some stuff like docking craft together, as well. We should be seeing the new demo pretty soon.

My girlfriend pointed out a vital Kerbal flaw. No females! :mad: Is that true? You know, maybe there's some planet where you have to rescue a princess. What? My fantasy? Why? :huh: Seriously, where are the female astronauts kerbanauts?

I think they just haven't gotten around to it yet, but will at some point. It would be more or less just a cosmetic thing (a new character model and name list) and they are focusing on functionality rather than cosmetics right now. Even with its very playable state and the fact that it's being sold commercially, the developers refer to it as technically alpha software because fundamental features are still being added.

Eventually, there will actually be other stars to go explore... And I thought the year-long flight out to a gas giant was a long mission.

Oh, and that Apollo launch was great. I hadn't seen that one. :)

You name it. The second 'latest' thread being from mid 2011. :O

Great reading about the plans for the new demo and even the extended universe. And I saw that there are already a ton of mods available and some active forums. Looking at the download numbers, it looks like a solid fan base for such an early game (just referring to the low version number).

Well, if there's time, I'll join the Kerbal universe and the one from Orbiter I think. In the meantime, keep up your mission plans. :smile:

I think they just haven't gotten around to it yet, but will at some point.

Smurfette? This would add another force to the universe of course, among gravity and things. ^_^

I've found a new business opportunity... See Duna from the air!

P546WsC.jpg

Choose from the solar system's finest tours, offered at fares that give you maximum vacation value, by Kerbin's most honored tour company: Zenith Tours! Explore the breathtaking beauty of The Red Planet from above!

IJ9R5o3.jpg

Tour with total confidence. There's simply no argument: Zenith is the solar system’s safest aerial tour company. No fatalities have been documented so far this week! (this claim pending further reports from the ICU)

X0pbvRm.jpg

The finest pilots in the sky. Zenith prides itself on hand-picking only the finest and most experienced pilots—the absolute cream of the profession—and every one of them is a certified tour guide. (or, at least, certifiable)

VM0gNCy.jpg

We don’t just operate the best equipment, we help develop it. From the ultra-quiet and spacious Alectrona Airship to the powerful Gorgon Launch Vehicle that lifts it into orbit, Zenith is always at the forefront of leading-edge innovations for your safety, comfort, and enjoyment. (death and/or dismembering occurs on only one in three flights)

fjYBf2P.jpg

Call now and reserve your seat!

wRXp1BY.jpg

I don't know how long this kind of design will remain viable, though... Squad has mentioned reentry heating as being in development and "coming soon."

• Upvote 1

Wow, what a tour, Ray. Any you've brought some cool ideas on the vehicles too! :smile:

I really like the writing style. On a more general note, I actually like it a lot that the Kerbal folks use that humour and not the super 'I'm so real' attitude sometimes being connected to us sim folks. The ones still grabbing plastic yokes and a mouse to 'fly'. :biggrin: Wait, that's me! :O

I don't know how long this kind of design will remain viable, though... Squad has mentioned reentry heating as being in development and "coming soon."

Reminds me about watching a video where they had some fairings (addon I guess) and explained that those, currently, mainly change the looks due to the way the game handles the aerodynamic drag. Are you aiming at that one with your statement?

Well, if heat and stuff gets added, one could sell it for some extra Kerbal bucks. Excitement value.

On a more general note, I actually like it a lot that the Kerbal folks use that humour and not the super 'I'm so real' attitude sometimes being connected to us sim folks. The ones still grabbing plastic yokes and a mouse to 'fly'. :biggrin: Wait, that's me! :O

The funny thing is, there are a quite a few real "rocket scientists" playing KSP. The folks at JPL mentioned it during an interview after they set the Curiosity lander down on Mars as being pretty popular "around the office."

The realism is there under the hood (with some compromises for game-play), but it's dressed up to be fun instead of work.

Reminds me about watching a video where they had some fairings (addon I guess) and explained that those, currently, mainly change the looks due to the way the game handles the aerodynamic drag. Are you aiming at that one with your statement?

Well, if heat and stuff gets added, one could sell it for some extra Kerbal bucks. Excitement value.

The drag model is a placeholder and it's got some serious flaws. It's going to be replaced with a much more realistic aerodynamics system sometime in the next few months. It's definitely going to improve spaceplane and shuttle-style operations.

Reentry heat may come with the new aerodynamics, or it may come sooner. I'm not sure about that. But when it does, the aggressive aerobraking and steep descents a lot of people are doing now are going to become fatal. And craft designs will have to change, to be more compact and equipped to protect more fragile or vulnerable parts.

But for now, the new demo was just released!

I'm checking it out now. It seems be limited to one-man hardware equivalent to the Mercury Program, but with a sprinkling of more advanced parts that might be enough to get you to the Mun. The other planets are missing, so it's just the home planet of Kerbin and its Mun, along with the sun. No docking, no larger rocket parts or multi-seat command pods, as expected. And you're limited to three simultaneous missions in-flight at once. But for anyone who's still hesitating about trying KSP, it's a free 236mb download.

Thanks for the HU. Nice move from the devs. I wonder if the mods work, at least partially. Well, I may try or just get the full version. Seems like it's a winner.

Found a video from a, what it seems like, super 'nerd'. But wow, that's some cool project. Lets get nerdy! ^_^ Skip to 02:15 if you like.

Not to forget, I've bookmarked your mission reports, Ray.

Thanks for the HU. Nice move from the devs. I wonder if the mods work, at least partially. Well, I may try or just get the full version. Seems like it's a winner.

Found a video from a, what it seems like, super 'nerd'. But wow, that's some cool project. Lets get nerdy! ^_^ Skip to 02:15 if you like.

Not to forget, I've bookmarked your mission reports, Ray.

Involuntary nerd wedgie will be applied in 4......3......2 :-)

Devons rig