Sign in to follow this  
Bobu

Initial impressions after taking the plunge...

Yesterday might have been August 28th for a lot of people, but at my house it will forever be known as "Prepar3d" day. Due to the prodding of certain members (not naming names...cough...Ben/Srdan...cough) I took the plunge and bought the academic version of Prepar3d. I started downloading around 2pm and I believe by 9pm i was ready to install.

Installation is straight forward. So was activation. Painless really. I have FSX installed on the same machine (until later today), BTW. Fired up Prepar3d and changed my settings. Looked around the forums and made some cfg tweaks. Got TrackIR 4 going with a 2 minute language.dll hack. Purchased the FSX to Prepar3d Migration Tool, and proceded to install 2 add-on aircraft, some photo scenery, and a couple other popular add-ons (I am not naming them).

Fired up P3d and saw some tearing. Added another cfg fix for that. Okay, time for a flight! First, that academic watermark is nothing to be concerned about. It is just some small text in the corner.

I takeoff with an add-on plane from KDEN (Photo scenery loaded) and immediately notice several things.

1. With my settings cranked up, fraps is saying 50-60. Butter smooth.

2. No jaggies or shimmering whatsoever. Image quality is perfect.

3. The photo scenery looks absolutely stunning.

4. I am not seeing anything popping up on the terrain like FSX.

The same add-ons and scenery just look and feel crisper. The colors are deeper, richer. The images sharper. I will make a video later today to show it, but considered I am running an ATI 5850 I could not be happier. I have had zero crashes, and Prepar3d just looks and feels like the next major upgrade to FSX. It is not a subtle upgrade.

Today I am going to try to sort out weather and traffic, and mesh, along with a few other aircraft add-ons, and assuming all goes well...uninstall FSX. I can't go back after seeing this.

Final note. The whole lack of loading screen sucks, but not that big a deal IMO. You can save your flight as a default like FSX, so in most cases it only takes a minute or two to reconfigure. Definitely not a show stopper.

Does Prepar3d allow the ENB series to run alongside it nicely?

No idea. You'd have to Google it.

Hi,

Welcome the the dark side. :ph34r: LOL. enjoy your new SMOOTH sim.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

And dark side it truly is, too!

Something you guys need to know if you have FSX installed as well. I installed some add-ons last night and when I checked today my AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder had been deleted. And no, I didn't do it.

Hi,

That is really strange, that should not happen. Don't know what addons you installed, but it sure wasn't P3D that removed your folders/files. I've never seen that happen and I've been running P3D since day one.

Something you guys need to know if you have FSX installed as well. I installed some add-ons last night and when I checked today my AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder had been deleted. And no, I didn't do it.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Can I ask what your FPS would have been in the same area with the same settings in FSX? And does P3D have full DX10 support now?

Did you use a third party migrator tool ? I don't own the Estonian program so I'm not sure about this but it could be that the directory has been hidden, moved or renamed.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Can I ask what your FPS would have been in the same area with the same settings in FSX? And does P3D have full DX10 support now?

At this point it is still very hard to compare apples to apples. I am in the process of trying to get all the add-ons I regularly use in P3d, so until I get it setup exactly as FSX I can't say.

Did you use a third party migrator tool ? I don't own the Estonian program so I'm not sure about this but it could be that the directory has been hidden, moved or renamed.

Let me check that. Using Estonian.

Can I ask what your FPS would have been in the same area with the same settings in FSX?

Depending on the scenery, equal, better or much better

And does P3D have full DX10 support now?

No DX10 support at all. Expect DX11 in Prepar3D V 2.0

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi,

I'm seeing about a 12FPS increase over FSX on average, in some coverage areas, P3D display even higher (15-20) FPS increase.

Yesterday might have been August 28th for a lot of people, but at my house it will forever be known as "Prepar3d" day.

That makes me think of Eisenhower in "The Longest Day" declaring the start of the invasion of Normandy - " I'm quite positive we must give the order. I don't like it, but there it is. Gentlemen, I don't see how we can possibly do anything... but go."

And yes, I'm ready to go too. Prepar3D, here I come! :smile:

/Torbjörn Kuntze

another one that has been p3dified :)

-Paul-

Any screenshots of the watermark, as I'm half thinking of the $49.95 price - (that's 8 beers in Ireland)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020