Sign in to follow this  
superdraw

Using another aircraft flight model?

Lets say I have 2 general aviation aircraft but 1 has a flight model that I find difficult to enjoy flying.

Where is the fm info kept. Seems to me there use to be a way of copying the flight model of an aircraft into another.

But this is going back a long ways maybe FS2002 or 2004 not sure, can't remember?

Any help would be appreciated.......

Thanks in advance.

the flight model is the file <aircraft name>.air file in the aircraft folder. Replacing that with another one of the same name will, in principle, change the flight model. However, there may be problems with more complex add-ons.

These days, as much or more FM info is also kept in the aircraft.cfg file. So you will need to:

1. Back up the plane's aircraft.cfg file by renaming it to aircraft_old.cfg

2. Copy and paste the aircraft.cfg file and the AIR file from the plane that flies as you want.

For most aircraft, you also need to copy over these section from the original aircraft.cfg file into the one copied from the other plane (overwriting these sections):

1. All the fltsim sections

2. The Lights section

3. The Views section

4. The Contact Points section

Then edit the sim= line in each fltsim section to point to the copied air file (the original copied aircraft.cfg file will have the correct sim= line).

Hope this helps,

If you start experimenting with the " aircraft cfg " in areas such as [flight_tuning] , proceed with caution ,

and always backup and store the current " aircraft cfg " prior to making any changes.

Make only one change at a time , then test fly the aircraft.

Ideally you should instrument the aircraft sufficiently to take data readings for comparison purposes.

Initially , record the flying qualities or elements that you do not like or consider deficient , try very hard to

quantify the poor traits as you see them ,

Examples :

- roll rate too sluggish.

- airspeed unrealistic.

- take off run too long .

etc.

for before and after change comparison purposes it is extremely helpful to quantify test points with actual

numbers , remember that you are being a test pilot and have to proceed methodically.

It is important to devise flight segments that can easily be repeated , such as ;

- straight and level flight.

- constant rate turns

- descent and climb , etc

conduct your flights in the same area , and at same altitudes , select prominent geographical features as

flying markers to assist in repeated test flights .

Keep written notes , preferably in a table format , be patient and repeat your tests.

Subjective tests should be conducted FIRST , ie, it feels right or good or bad .

they are perceptive and should be noted quickly before you get a chance to accommodate and get used to flight traits.

Humans rapidly work around and compensate for bad flying traits , so note them early on .

Objective tests , these are your notes and tables , they represent tangible numbers that do not lie .

From that data and it's subsequent analysis you make your ultimate decisions on settings that result in flight

behaviour that you are after .

If you decide on this approach be patient , repeat tests , be ruthlessly scientific about your approach , notes and numbers.

It is a painstaking process , but it can be fun if tackled with the right attitude.

A by product is learning about your own flying as well as that of your aircraft.

Cheers

Karol

• Upvote 1

Thanks again, fellows, this is a big bite to chew on.

I'll try some of these techniques out after I have read this thread at least 10 times over. lol

I'll be back after I've turned a 747 into an aerobatic Pitts. If I survive? rotflol..........

Hmmm ...

A 747 to Pitts aerobatic .

Now that requires additional steps as follows :

1. remove the approx 1,000 kg uranium counterweight from the tail.

2. aerobatic authorities might suggest the aircraft weight should be reduced from 400 tons to under half a ton.

3, get slightly smaller fuel tanks, roughly from 240,000 litres to about 80 litres .

4 . suggest that the 300+ passengers now walk to their destination .

5. it remains that the 747 flight model might just need a little tuning .

All joking aside , I thoroughly appreciate what you want.

I have done this in the past , and yes it is a challenging area to tackle.

All the best with your endeavors.

Cheers

Karol

I'd like to piggy-back on this old discussion. I downloaded a couple Project Airbus A321s from the AVSIM library for FSX. They have different named .air files and the same model file. Both climb reasonably well to FL180 while maintaining speed hold at 290-295 range at vertical speed of 1800 fpm. Above FL180, the speed drops off dramatically to the point I have to reduce climb rate to 1000 fpm just to not stall. By FL250, airspeed is down to 200 IAS and I have to level off to avoid stalling. Even with speedhold on, N1 never increases above 87%. After that, airspeed gains only to about 260 IAS. Two questions: 1) Is this a configuration issue that can be modified in the aircraft.cfg file? If so, what should I modify? 2) Is this a function of the .air file or a function of the .mdl file? Thanks for any insights.

The .air and aircraft.cfg files affect the flight model. The visible model is just eye candy.

Unfortunately Dave, that about exhausts my knowledge base on the subject. :wink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Superdraw,

Good advice above this post so absorb what you can.

If you are interested in creating your own or learning a bit more about flight model creation, I have in my series of Gmax for Beginning Modelers a video tutorial on that.  You can see it on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egbuHW_VxQw