Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

A "How-To-go-DX10" doc

For those not wanting to read 500+ posts, or for those of us who are sometimes confused, and for those who just want a faster way to get to DX10 - here is a precis of setting up your FSX DX10, allowing a return to DX9 if you wish.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52676345/DX10_Fix/Notes/DX10%20Notes.doc

Cheers!

:smile:

• Upvote 4

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Paul. I'm sure it will help many eager DX10 adopters.

Guest firehawk44

Darn Paul! Don't you sleep? :LMAO:

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you, Paul. I've been following the DX10 thread, but I really didn't know where to start. Your guide should help a lot. Again, thanks.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I don't have MS Word so the format is pretty goofy with odd characters. Maybe make a pdf version too please?

You're right!

Gimme a coupla minutes, Bumpy....

https://dl.dropbox.c.../DX10 Notes.pdf

Thar ya go!!

I hope you can use it, and that it makes sense for everybody. Please suggest any - ANY - changes you might think of.

Thanks,

peej

Edit - Open Office will do most things MS Office will:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice Free!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I just notice that the water wave is kinda still in DX10. I recheck the water wave in DX9, I can notice it is pretty much 'alive'.

Depends what you had in DX9 WH: I was using REX -> "Sparkling", and it came out exactly as per the pic in the other thread: I removed REXEssentials, (uninstalled completely) and then tried the free FSWC - also FSXC Lite, both of which made no difference whatsoever, in spite of the single DX10 water. This time around I am using ActiveSky2012, and it behaves beautifully - darkening the Inland Blue and Brown a few clicks, and then using Waves ->"04 Frequency". This returns the waves to my original pics, and with the darker shade.

Hope this helps!

Hi Paul, I'm using REX Essential atm. What you saying is that you removed RE and went for AS2012 just to solve the DX10 waves problem? In that case I rather stick with the dead waves :)

No - I've had both REX and AS since each's day one, - using ASE for the engine and REX clouds. REX Essentials is a free upgrade, so why not?. I still don't like this interface - they're taking too long for a patch, and Overdive is still on the horizon... Also I've been with AS since Chris Willis was making clouds on his own, and that's going back nearly 100 years!!!

Waves and motion suck in the default FSX DX9, hence the addons. This is a new sim, and it needs playing with. None of us know all of the answers Yet!), and it means finding out what works (again) and what doesn't work (again) - just like the trip from FS9 to FSX, although not so bad. REX has DX10 optimization in it's config, so all of their water sets will work - it's a matter of finding the right one! Someone talked about the DX10 water being "too light" - well I thought so, too, so I began playing, exactly as with FS9 anbd again FSX when it first came out. I happened on the right one with REX - that was Sparkling, and AS second - that's all. ..And honestly - I still prefer REX clouds and sometime this next week will be going back to their clouds, but still using AS2012 as the controller.

Personally - I'm having some "issues" re-learning the effects of Scenery Complexity and AutoGen. I was able to run SC full, with AG back one notch in DX9, and so cranked AG up to max as well, with DX10. Well - I was having some strange-looking scenery in the PNW... something not quite right somehow, and it wasn't until I went to Darrington, then posed the Orbx "Bob" into the same positions as in their FTX Darrinton screenshots website that I discovered what was wrong. DX10 has way more objects than in the DX9 version. Many more trees, for e.g.. The pics in DX9 are about the same, but in DX10, with both SC & AG full right there's much greater AG and scenery around. So right now - [Terrain] AG is cranked back down to 3, and [scenery] Image_Complexity is backed down to 4. This is a bonus, as it now allows more cloud or a greater LOD, etc.. i.e. more bang for less bucks!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Paul

This is just what I need. It will be even better if Steve adds a few more pointers using the ATI card.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

There's a revised version just been posted, Carl, with some suggestions based upon todays work attempting to clear what I thought was a real 'bug' with the Orbx scenery. Turns out it was caused by the AddonConverter fiddling with Orbx's waterworks, plus a note an Scenery Complexity, Autogen and BufferPools.