Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

A "How-To-go-DX10" doc

20 seconds is not too bad. I sometimes have waited up to five minutes and I post a lot. I don't have time to wait so I simply do what I stated in my previous post. Tom and others have explained the issue before and it's because too many people are posting or surfing on the site at one time.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Good morning Jim,

I went to bed and woke up with the shadow thing on my mind. I also was thinking more about how dark the screen looked after recording a video. Inspector has nothing to do with the shadows and how dark the screen is when recordings and shadow. So what can it be? When I woke up I still was thinking about it. I decided to open up NVIDEA control panel and check the video settings like the gama, contrast, brightness, etc. First I opened up FSX and sellected the Waco and pressed "ALT+RTN" and put FSX into a window. I then opened up the NVIDEA control panel and started to make the adjustments that I mentioned above and then looking at the FSX window. If it was what I wanted I then would press "ALT+RTN" and run FSX to check it out. With this process I got the shadows working the way they should work and while flying at nitght and on a clear or partly cloudy night I could see where I was flying. So in short I had my video monitor settings way out of wrack!! :mad: :mad:

Just to be on the safe side I reinstalled the new shader. I then loaded the default Cesnna 172 amd set the weather at clear. I then taxied the Cesnna in a circle and watched the shadows which worked perfect. :Whistle: I then loaded the Waco and did the same as I did with the Cesnna and the shadows worked quite differnt than the Cesnna. What I found was there was no line of shadow like the Cesnna. There was a light to dark shadow. That has to be because the Waco is a open cockpit to where the Cesnna is a cabin. So, now I am going to leave my NVIDEA control pael alone. I use Inspector totally for FSX settings and the NVIDEA control panel strictly for the monitor settings. MAN IT'S BEEN A LONG NIGHT!! :Yawn:

Les

Hi Les,

You have sleepless nights too huh? LOL. I agree. I wouldn't worry too much about the non-shadows in the Waco cockpit. PaulJ has the Waco and he couldn't see shadows either and asked why on their forum (I think I read he did this... or it was one of those bad dreams). The Waco looks great even without the shadows and I guess the cockpit is so dark it just has a hard time showing the shadows.

Best regard,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi,

DX10 and Multi Monitors. If it's relevant to anyone, I have a TH2GO running three 22" monitors without problems in DX10.

With the latest recommendations and a little tweaking of sliders I also think I've finally got rid of the last traces of blurries, while testing at Seattle, London, and Melbourne. No small success for me!! :dance:

Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Hi Les,

You have sleepless nights too huh? LOL. I agree. I wouldn't worry too much about the non-shadows in the Waco cockpit. PaulJ has the Waco and he couldn't see shadows either and asked why on their forum (I think I read he did this...Jim

:LMAO:

Yes - I sent an email to their "Contact" on their website a week or so, Jim - and they haven't had the manners to respond - so I guess they have now lost a customer.

@2JimH... 3 x 22" Samsung... Wow!! Mr. Cool, now, eh! B)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I also think I've finally got rid of the last traces of blurries

Good news Jim! Doubt DX10 will eliminate blurries but good to know anyway. I would think it would be more difficult to get rid of blurries with 3 monitors as that's a lot of tweaking. But your sliders and some FSX settings will kill most blurries. The fact you do not have display drivers turned up for DX10 is a plus too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi ya all,

Couldn't resist getting in on the multi monitor thing. Now I run two EVGA 580/3GIG each/SLI and four DVI hookups. At the time I wanted run multi monitors. I did not have DX10 running like I do now. Anyway I had hooked 3 LG 27" monitors to to the DVI connectors. Went to the video control panel and set it up for multi monitors; but at that time the SLI function was shutoff by default when I hooked the monitors up. They all come on and I was able to pull windows from the main monitor over to the two other monitors. Now for the main issue with me was that the center monitor run in HD and the other two monitors were not HD mode. They were at a different resolution. You say you have no issues with your monitors running in DX10. My question is when you drag a window onto your other monitors are they the same resolution as the main monitor in HD? One way I checked was to drag the mouse across from one one monitor to the next and watched for a cursor size change and I deffemtly seen a differnce in the size of the cursor from one monitor to the next.Can you explain what TH2GO is and how it works with multi monitors? Thanks for another sleepless nite!!! :Yawn: :Yawn:

Les

Here ya go, Les!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

My monitors are all Samsung 22", native resolution 1280x1024. I have one of the early Digital Tripleheads, and it runs them as one, resolution 3840x1024. Fsx is set to the same - and it works.

It must be obvious I'm not at all clever, just try hard. The three monitor view is superb, but my computer has always struggled to cope. Following the terrific advice on here, I can't believe FSX is running so smoothly now at quite high settings. The only outside program I run with FSX on this computer is ActiveSky, following an abortive attempt to network it. I do use FSX, and PlanG, on a second computer networked to my FSX one.

"To Jim. I don't understand, "The fact you do not have display drivers turned up for DX10 is a plus too. "

I'm on Nvidia 306.23, but I just install them, and set up Inspector.

Regards. Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

It must be obvious I'm not at all clever
:LMAO: Welcome to the club!!

I took an iq test a few years back, and the results were negative...

Seriously - nice monitors. 3840 x 1024 is nice isn't it? - though mine are only 19" - I'm pretty happy.

My monitors are all Samsung 22", native resolution 1280x1024. I have one of the early Digital Tripleheads, and it runs them as one, resolution 3840x1024. Fsx is set to the same - and it works.

It must be obvious I'm not at all clever, just try hard. The three monitor view is superb, but my computer has always struggled to cope. Following the terrific advice on here, I can't believe FSX is running so smoothly now at quite high settings. The only outside program I run with FSX on this computer is ActiveSky, following an abortive attempt to network it. I do use FSX, and PlanG, on a second computer networked to my FSX one.

"To Jim. I don't understand, "The fact you do not have display drivers turned up for DX10 is a plus too. "

I'm on Nvidia 306.23, but I just install them, and set up Inspector.

Regards. Jim

Hi JimH,

I have some questions on your settings and the TH2GO.

1. when you installed the software did it look for how many monitors you had hooked up?

2. I see your native resolution was 1280x1024... did the software then set another resolution of 3840x1024 and put it in FSX automatically.

3.have you ever used Fraps for recording and if so which monitor dose Fraps record from?

4. is your TH2GO a analog or digital setup?

5. have you ever had to contact the company which is based iin Canada?

6 if so what type of service ddi they have "poor or excellent" service?

To me service is 95% of the product, it can be the best product on the face of the earth and if it has poor sevice it becomes the worst product on the face oof the earth. I am a tech geek and I always want the lastest and the greatest. But through the years I have started to ask questions and a lot of them before I buy. So beeings you have one I thought you could help me out. Oh yah, yesterday I went on there website and I filled out a form to be notified of the newest digital TH2GO3 which has not been released yet. When I clicked on the summit I got a message "OOPS SOMETHING WENT WRONG". do they have someone here in the states that a person can talk to if they have an issue? Thank you for your response in advance.

Les

Hi Les,

Quote:

1. when you installed the software did it look for how many monitors you had hooked up?

2. I see your native resolution was 1280x1024... did the software then set another resolution of 3840x1024 and put it in FSX automatically.

3.have you ever used Fraps for recording and if so which monitor dose Fraps record from?

It's some years since I set up the Triplehead, so my memory might be somewhat less than perfect!

1. Yes

2. The software allows a choice of resolution. My monitors are native 1280x1024, so I chose three times that - 3840x1024. In FSX, I then chose the same resolution..

3. It's a long time since I tried Fraps, though I must have a copy on file. I'm sure it only recorded what was on the central monitor.

4. Mine is one of the early digital versions. I do remember I had to flash an update into the device after I had it connected.

5. I did get advice initially, when I had to download the update. I have no bad memories of that contact.

6. My contact has been so slight, and so historical, that I don't have a worthwhile up to date opinion.

I've copied pages from Matrox Powerdesk to Dropbox for your interest.

https://www.dropbox....kc5j/E2jzWfwQyo

The Triplehead has worked flawlessly for me, and it's now connected to it's third computer. I used to have a fourth monitor on the second output of my Nvidia card. It seems ridiculous, but I was so accustomed to placing windows on all four monitors, that when I recently built a second computer to run PlanG, and FlightSim Commmander on the top monitor, I missed the space on my Desktop!!

Afterthought: Before I bought the Triplehead I found a forum where I could check that my make and model of monitors would work together with it. At that time there were quite a few models which were not compatible. Typically, I only remember that the forum was dedicated to multi monitor set up.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Jim

Hi Les,

Quote:

It's some years since I set up the Triplehead, so my memory might be somewhat less than perfect!

1. Yes

2. The software allows a choice of resolution. My monitors are native 1280x1024, so I chose three times that - 3840x1024. In FSX, I then chose the same resolution..

3. It's a long time since I tried Fraps, though I must have a copy on file. I'm sure it only recorded what was on the central monitor.

4. Mine is one of the early digital versions. I do remember I had to flash an update into the device after I had it connected.

5. I did get advice initially, when I had to download the update. I have no bad memories of that contact.

6. My contact has been so slight, and so historical, that I don't have a worthwhile up to date opinion.

I've copied pages from Matrox Powerdesk to Dropbox for your interest.

https://www.dropbox....kc5j/E2jzWfwQyo

The Triplehead has worked flawlessly for me, and it's now connected to it's third computer. I used to have a fourth monitor on the second output of my Nvidia card. It seems ridiculous, but I was so accustomed to placing windows on all four monitors, that when I recently built a second computer to run PlanG, and FlightSim Commmander on the top monitor, I missed the space on my Desktop!!

Afterthought: Before I bought the Triplehead I found a forum where I could check that my make and model of monitors would work together with it. At that time there were quite a few models which were not compatible. Typically, I only remember that the forum was dedicated to multi monitor set up.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

It sounds like a straight forward setup. Thank you for your quick respnse to my questions and I realley appreciate it. You have done an excellent job in helping me out on this issue. The next thing is to wait for the TH2GO digital 3 to be released.

I do have another question which I had forgotten to ask and that is: how much does it draw from your video cards? I mean did you see a downgrade in video speed after you went to the TH2GO verses without TH2GO?

Les

Hi Les,

I can't really answer regards video speed. When I retired, I had a computer built especially for FS9, using multi-monitors. I chose the Samsungs as a compromise, because my other interest is Photoshop.

The shop let me down, for the set up never worked as promised. I decided to go for FSX, and heard about Michael Greenblatt. Michael helped me rebuild the computer to a new spec, and that's where the Triplehead came in. Those specs are history now, but since then, with my friend Michael's help, I've flown FSX smoothly, albeit with what other people might call low frame rates, on these same three monitors.

Now, as what I would like to call myself, (a fully paid up member of this "DX10 Club"), and with a computer not unlike yours, I'm really very happy.

I'm on 306.23 drivers, with Inspector settings as advised here. If my various settings would help, I'm happy to share them.

Regards, Jim

If it's any measure, Les - you've seen my pics - they're all locked at 29.9 - 30fps - and there's hundreds of them - all full-screen bmp's when taken. The 580 (not o/c'd) will hold that 3840 x 1024 @ 32bit color, and will go up to somewhere around the 6000 x something mark. It doesn't make any difference whether 19" (mine) or Jim's 22", as the native resolutions are the same. The TH2Go has it's own power supply, as does each monitor.

As jim's is - mine is an earlier version, so the firmware and gxm software has been updated a couple of times. It was a pain in the neck to set up until that happened, and - I think their support is much poorer than our FSX devs.

Video's? Haven't got anything to speak of yet, but my next attempts will be at the default single monitor 1280 x 1024 - or I may get a widescreen monitor, preferably 21" 1600 x 1200, maybe 24" 1920 x 1200, if I can find one.

It's all very interesting.. and takes sooo much time...

peej