Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

A "How-To-go-DX10" doc

If it's any measure, Les - you've seen my pics - they're all locked at 29.9 - 30fps - and there's hundreds of them - all full-screen bmp's when taken. The 580 (not o/c'd) will hold that 3840 x 1024 @ 32bit color, and will go up to somewhere around the 6000 x something mark. It doesn't make any difference whether 19" (mine) or Jim's 22", as the native resolutions are the same. The TH2Go has it's own power supply, as does each monitor.

As jim's is - mine is an earlier version, so the firmware and gxm software has been updated a couple of times. It was a pain in the neck to set up until that happened, and - I think their support is much poorer than our FSX devs.

Video's? Haven't got anything to speak of yet, but my next attempts will be at the default single monitor 1280 x 1024 - or I may get a widescreen monitor, preferably 21" 1600 x 1200, maybe 24" 1920 x 1200, if I can find one.

It's all very interesting.. and takes sooo much time...

peej

Jim,

The one thing that bothers me is I run two 580/3GB each cards in SLI. In the past when I tried to run more than one monitor the Nvidea control panel would shut off the SLI mode. This is when I had three monitors at differnt resolutins or not at the same as the native mode. This is what I run now and with one monitor. Monitor LG 27" LCD - FSX locked @ 30fps - 1920x1080x32. With one monitor I get great results, but with two or more will I get the same or will I be cut back in resolution? It is a lot of money to exsperiment with and then not get the return. i have a exceptionaly system and beeing retired I am very fortunate to have it. DX10 thanks to Avsim is running like gangbusters! Like many I allways am lookng for more. I tell the wife what I need is a full blown Boeing 747 simulator!! :LMAO:

Maybe we should go on (Avsim) Teamspeak and have a discussion on this? It would be interesting.

Now tonight I booted my system and went on the enternet and had a notice from Nvidea that there was a new update 306.97, so I downloaded it and will see what happens.

Les

Hi Les,

I know what you mean about being retired. This hobby keeps trying to suck in more money.

My technical knowledge is very limited (that's the polite way of puting it!). I've never had twin graphics cards. It's Sod's Law that you find yourself having bought two cards for multi-monitors, and now you are being told it's a good idea to spend around the same money as a good card, to buy a Matrox Triplehead.

All I can give is a very personal opinion. I have an EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 DS HD. It's hooked up to the Matrox, and I'm seeing FSX, populated as I've never seen it before.

I have all the Orbx Areas, and almost all the fields. I just love Orbx scenery. I live in Scotland, about 10miles from Glasgow Airport, and have all the Horizon VFR Uk scenery, together with ES Treescapes.

I use two different FSX.cfgs. They are exactly the same except for Trees and Buildings.

For flying Orbx:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1376 //New DX10 and for Orbx

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=907 //New DX10 and for Orbx

For flying everwhere else. I.e. mostly UK and Europe:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500 //For Earth Simulations

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000 //For Earth Simulations

I'm delighted with what I see in FSX, and at the three areas I know are most demanding, Seattle, Melbourne, and London, I get 19-20fps, and everwhere out of those immediate areas, 29-30. Michael Greenblatt taught me to ignore fps, and judge if flying was smooth and perfectly controllable. My experience is smooth at all times just now. For the first time I'm not seeing periods of blurries, everthing sharp as I look around with Track IR. I tried flying the Real Air Lancair Legacy at 2x and 4x speed, and around 300ft above ground. Still sharp.

I still think it must go pear shaped soon. It's too good to last. I hope I'm wrong!!!im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

I can't think of anything else to say which might help, but I can't think I'm getting anything you couldn't get with your hardware.

Sorry if this has been a long ramble. I'm off to have a look at the new drivers.

Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Hi Les,

I know what you mean about being retired. This hobby keeps trying to suck in more money.

My technical knowledge is very limited (that's the polite way of puting it!). I've never had twin graphics cards. It's Sod's Law that you find yourself having bought two cards for multi-monitors, and now you are being told it's a good idea to spend around the same money as a good card, to buy a Matrox Triplehead.

All I can give is a very personal opinion. I have an EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 DS HD. It's hooked up to the Matrox, and I'm seeing FSX, populated as I've never seen it before.

I have all the Orbx Areas, and almost all the fields. I just love Orbx scenery. I live in Scotland, about 10miles from Glasgow Airport, and have all the Horizon VFR Uk scenery, together with ES Treescapes.

I use two different FSX.cfgs. They are exactly the same except for Trees and Buildings.

For flying Orbx:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1376 //New DX10 and for Orbx

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=907 //New DX10 and for Orbx

For flying everwhere else. I.e. mostly UK and Europe:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500 //For Earth Simulations

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000 //For Earth Simulations

I'm delighted with what I see in FSX, and at the three areas I know are most demanding, Seattle, Melbourne, and London, I get 19-20fps, and everwhere out of those immediate areas, 29-30. Michael Greenblatt taught me to ignore fps, and judge if flying was smooth and perfectly controllable. My experience is smooth at all times just now. For the first time I'm not seeing periods of blurries, everthing sharp as I look around with Track IR. I tried flying the Real Air Lancair Legacy at 2x and 4x speed, and around 300ft above ground. Still sharp.

I still think it must go pear shaped soon. It's too good to last. I hope I'm wrong!!!im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

I can't think of anything else to say which might help, but I can't think I'm getting anything you couldn't get with your hardware.

Sorry if this has been a long ramble. I'm off to have a look at the new drivers.

Regards, Jim

Good morning from Iowa USA

Jim you have been a great help on this issue and I am sure I will take the plunge and go for the TH2GO. I talked to CDW yesterday and with a tech about this setup. He told me to call back today and he would setup a comferance call with Matrox and all the questioned I had asked I could get their input. Not bad for service. I will let everyone know what I find out. It will be interesting to talk to them. I am thinging strongly about the newest version of the Digital TH2GO which isn't out as of now. Thanks again and we will stay in touch. :im Not Worthy:

Les :hi:

Good Luck, Les.

Just noticed - 300ft above ground. No chance - Three Thousand feet - Sorry!

Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

CDW conference call :mad:

I called CDW and talked to the person that was to connect me to the person at Matrox. I waited on the phone and he come back a few times to checIk if I was still on the phone? After a few times like that I heard a busy signal and I was disconnected. :mad: ! then called back and I kept getting I am away from my desk and please leave a message and I'll get right back to you. I give up and we went out to lunch. When we got back I thought I would have a message on the phone? NOTHING!! :mad:

SO THE MORAL TO THE STORY IS: IF I DIDN'T HAVE BAD LUCK I WOULDN'T ANY LUCK AT ALL!! :Cry: SO, NO CIGAR ON THIS ONE!! :hi:

Les

Hi everyone! :yahoo:

I went on google like I was told by JimH and found this site "Toms Hardware which is the link below. Now SLI is supported and I can expect the 3840x1024x32 bit color as stated by #165 post Paul J. Also JimH has stated the same. I also found out that Fraps will also record in the wide screen effect. You will be amazed at the screen shots they have on this site. This is my happy day!!!! :yahoo: I feel like I am in my 20's again!!!! Take a look at this site on Tripple Head 2 Go!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/matroxs-triplehead2go-span-fun-displays,1251.html

Les :hi:

That's pretty much how it work's Les - but article on Tom's site is dated 2006 - it's a different-looking software nowadays.

So - tell me, Les - a 3840 x 1024 isn't going to play on YouTube, right? So a). will it play elsewhere? Isn't Fraps (I just purchased it!) going to bust a gut trying to keep up? Or B). should I just do a vid in the native 1280 x 1024? - but that's not "1080p" or "720p" (whatever those mean). Yes - I can get lost sometimes - that's the problem with being an old fart.... :wink: Teach me o Wise One... im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Les and PaulJ,

Here's my favorite website regarding multi-screen gaming - http://www.wsgf.org/forums/multi-monitor-gaming/multi-monitor-gaming. This site has all the latest info. I agree with Paul that the info from Tom's Hardware may be dated and no longer applies to today's technology. Gee, it's as old as FSX! :LMAO:

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Quick question - When you setup the profiles in inspector for the MS Flight Simulator following the tutorial, how do you know / can you tell that the profile you set up is actually being used?

Everytime I tab to the desktop window and open up profiles in inspector it shows the global one. Maybe this is normal, I don't know as I've never used it before.

With Orbix YSTW (Tamworth) loaded I'm getting 24 - 30 fps full screen with a GTX260 card and about a 3.8 GHz i7 (very early one) so I think something must be working and it looks better (subjective) than it used to.

Thanks,

top left corner of inspector has a pull down menu for games. type in ms and a list will appear including fsx.

Top right is "Apply Changes"; after you change your settings, just hit this button and your set. Every time you open Inspector, it'll show global, but all your settings for FSX are still in there. Just remember to go to MSFS X pull down.

Edited by firehawk44
Photo removed - exceeded 1600W. See screenshot policies in Forum>Screenshots on the Main FSX webpage.

Thanks for that.

I wasn't sure if there was a way to view what the active profile / setting were when FS is running.

I setup as per the tutorial, but just couldn't prove to myself what I setup was actually being used. I guess I just have to trust it.

Hi Jimh, Jim, Paul J and everyone,

Yes the information that I had referred to is old 2006. This is 2012, and tecnology and software has changed sense 2006. I did go to the website Jim that you mentioned and it is more impressive than the 2006. By that I mean there are users that have run up to six monitors. I havn't read anyone that had a bad result? No one on the 2006 nor the 2011 or 2012 entries has put down their systems configuration or at least I didn't see any while I was on the two sites. Below is a link to the Matrox brouchure and will explain the options that are available. If you have information that is not shown or I am missing please let me know?

Click here to get Matrox brochure.

Les

Take a look and be the judge.

That's pretty much how it work's Les - but article on Tom's site is dated 2006 - it's a different-looking software nowadays.

So - tell me, Les - a 3840 x 1024 isn't going to play on YouTube, right? So a). will it play elsewhere? Isn't Fraps (I just purchased it!) going to bust a gut trying to keep up? Or B). should I just do a vid in the native 1280 x 1024? - but that's not "1080p" or "720p" (whatever those mean). Yes - I can get lost sometimes - that's the problem with being an old fart.... :wink: Teach me o Wise One... im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Hi Jim,

I record in 1920x1080x32 and then set it up in my video editing software. When you record with Fraps you have to have your frame rate set at 30fps if your FSX is set at 30FPS. Now the issue comes with the software that you convert the fraps video into a timeline just like a movie. You also can add video effects and fades and to produce your video. Now you can purchase the video production software or you can use Windows video software for free and there are a few free video makers on the web. As I have found out while recording is Fraps records the screen of the monitor. If the monitor is dark then then the video is going to be dark. So get your monitor set so when you record it, it will be the qualiy that you want for the finished video. When you record a fraps video, you can view it before you import it into your video software. You then can see just what you have and decide what you want or don't want. I will say it is a time consuming effort. It isn't just record and send it to Youtube. YouTube will not accept the raw video. When I finish a video I save it as a windows video file. If you have more questions, let me know.

Les

Hi Everyone,

I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, then went off to Orbx Melbourne Intl., which I find the hardest on my system. I got a bad spell of the jaggies approaching downtown Melbourne, which disappeared on departure into the suburbs.

I changed one setting in Inspector, "2x Sparse Grid Supersampling", from 4x. I've just been back to Melbourne again - no sign of jaggies at all.

Just in case it might be of interest to someone.

I might just dig out a copy of Fraps, and with the info above from Les, and try for a video.

Regards, Jim

I changed one setting in Inspector, "2x Sparse Grid Supersampling", from 4x. I've just been back to Melbourne again - no sign of jaggies at all.

Respectfully Jim, that's impossible. As Word Not Allowed put in his guide (http://#####...hardware-guide/), 4x's gets completely rid of shimmering with a hit on performance and 2x's gets rid of some of the shimmering but with less of a hit on performance (or something close to that). I don't see how that setting can have any effect on jaggies. It's for reducing shimmering and has nothing to do with jaggies. In fact, yesterday I flew from KLAX to KSFO in a PMDG737. Slight shimering and jaggies you can barely see on the wings (but I see them) and I had those Inspector settings that PaulJ and some others have talked about in their guides. On the fly (or while enroute) I opened up Inspector and returned them back to the Inspector/Display Driver default for FSX and I saw absolutely no changes whatsoever. Still the same tiny shimmering on the wings, on the runways, on the taxiways, and almost impossible to see small jaggies on the wings. This is default settings. So DX10 and FSX are strange beasts.

I'm only responding to your post because this business of fixing DX10 and getting the best graphics ever with little or no shimmering and jaggies, is very, very complicated and saying supersampling got rid of your jaggies is just plain wrong information. Why it happened to you when you made this change in your Inspector settings is not known but probably because the area had been saved in your memory cache and it was rendering better than the first flight over Melbourne.

Respectfully,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10