Sign in to follow this  
utd4life10

Circle to land

Hey guys, I am currently in the cruise on the way to chambery airport, never been here before. The rwy in use is 36 which is a circle to land approach, as fas as I am aware you intercept the loc for runway 18 first and then circle to land rwy 36 but I have no idea how to programme this into the FMC.

The only charts I can find are these:

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/IAC/AD/2/1210_AD-2.LFLB.pdf#page=2

http://www.flyvip.ru/tmp/lflb.pdf

I guess I should have taken a look what the approach was like before I set off... LOL

Any help how I would programme this guys?

Dan

In the second tutorial, the approach into Innsbruck's RWY08 is also a circle to land approach. You maybe want to take a look at that and do it simmilar. :wink:

Okay, well I'm just about to start my decent into Chambery, I can see this going terribly wrong! LOL

Or you could set the LOC RWY 18 approach in the FMC, then you set the CY as a Fix with the radius of 2. Then CY as Fix with the radius of 3. As you can see in the last page of the firstlink you posted, you fly the LOC approach RWY 18, at the 2 miles circle you brake off, and fly heading 135, after 2.6 miles you fly heading 176 until you hit the 3 miles circle, then you turn right onto heading 356 and you hopfully have the runway ahead of you.

I wouldn't programm this in the FMC, just the Fixes and then dial in heading manually.

Hope I could help you, good luck :wink:

Hi Dan!

Circling approaches are manually flown since they require constant visual reference to the runway as well as any obstacles. Navaids can be used as guide to final lineup but these are strictly visual approaches. No autoflight here! This is stick and rudder. If you are not a real pilot ( and I assume this from the question), you can use altitude hold on the MCP while using heading control to steer the aircraft. This is standard VFR pattern flying unless else specified. You break off approach at circling minimums and usually enter a downwind leg from a 30-45 degree angle from approach course. Remain parallel to the runway until sufficiently past the approach end to allow a continuous turn and descent to final. Usually should be 300-500 ft AGL and lined up at completion of turn. This takes some planning and practice even if you are using the MCP as an aid. If you extend the downwind too far you could end up hitting obstacles. If you do not extend it far enough or fly a downwind too close to the runway you may end up unable to correctly line up for final. Good luck. NOTE: Tutorial 2 for LOWI approach does program FMC for the circling approach but this is not the way we do it RW.

Thanks for the help guys! I have printed off the relevent chart and have it infront of me. Setup some distances of 2 and 3 dme, I think I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm doing. I shall let you know how it goes! :D

Oh my gosh! That was absolutely incredible, the best approach I have ever done in FSX! It went great! Wowowow! I loved it!

Hey guys, I am currently in the cruise on the way to chambery airport, never been here before. The rwy in use is 36 which is a circle to land approach, as fas as I am aware you intercept the loc for runway 18 first and then circle to land rwy 36 but I have no idea how to programme this into the FMC.

The only charts I can find are these:

https://www.sia.avia...LFLB.pdf#page=2

http://www.flyvip.ru/tmp/lflb.pdf

I guess I should have taken a look what the approach was like before I set off... LOL

Any help how I would programme this guys?

Dan

circling are visual and manual flight, get fun!

Oh my gosh! That was absolutely incredible, the best approach I have ever done in FSX! It went great! Wowowow! I loved it!

The reason I love circle to land approaches. Whenever I fly to a airport that has one I always hope ATC gives it to me, but usually doesn't. So I often do another quick loop of a flight so I can enjoy the approach anyway,

You don't program anything into the FMC for a circling approach - they are a visual procedure once the circling starts. The idea with these approaches is to follow an instrument approach down until you get within visual limits on seeing the airport, then circle around while maintaining visual contact in order to land on the correct runway for the current winds.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I've yet to do a circling approach on the line yet, but I remember doing them in the sim, great fun. Quite unsettling being that close to the ground and banking this way and that. Hopefully I'll get to do one at some point!

I've yet to do a circling approach on the line yet, but I remember doing them in the sim, great fun. Quite unsettling being that close to the ground and banking this way and that. Hopefully I'll get to do one at some point!

It is pretty scary, even in the simulator my heart was still racing! It was brilliant to have trackir though, for the visual awareness that was brilliant!

It is pretty scary, even in the simulator my heart was still racing! It was brilliant to have trackir though, for the visual awareness that was brilliant!

Thanks for the info on this CTL. I wasn't aware of it, but having done the LOWI CTL 08 many times I thought I'd give it a try in the -700. Challenging, great scenery and lots of fun. Another nice test of manual flying skills.

I wondered how much easier it would be with someone in the right seat, but it's very do-able solo if you prepare yourself well and have the a/c properly configured and positioned for each stage of the approach.

Now if only I could succeed at SBRJ 02R -- my great nemesis. I may need TrackIR for that one.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration