Sign in to follow this  
Jackbauer

I expected better performance

Ben, come on man, you DID know when you came into flight simulation world, and especially in the situation we are in now, what you are settling for!

I am well aware of what I am settling for... I just am tired of this whole tweaking/re-installing/re-testing/re-tweaking/deleting situation.

I am seriously considering taking a step back from the hobby for a few months until the PMDG T7 is out. Who knows... I am just a bit overloaded with stuff right now.

Take time. I know I wanted... right now, I stepped back from many things. I am only playing with FSX vs P3D situation. Nothing else. Kinda relaxing.

i got my FSX and P3D setup so that i'm happy

FSX + UT + GEX + NGX (NickN's latest tweaks)

P3D + ORBX + A2A (they say it's ok!) (Word Not Allowed's tweaks)

both with EZCA and FSUIPC working

no licencing issues, no twiddling with registry keys i think the dual install approach is the best

i found that FSX actually worked better with UTX compared to P3D

Ben, come on man, you DID know when you came into flight simulation world, and especially in the situation we are in now, what you are settling for!

There are some increases. As pointed out before, photoscenery is boosted real well. But doing the list of situations where P3D has more FPS over FSX, and where FSX is better is virtually impossible.

So Word Not Allowed in your opinion is it worth going through the effort of transitioning to P3D after just making a clean install of FSX? Seems like the two of them are pretty similar and that P3D's performance advantages aren't universal. Not sure if I want to go through the reinstallation process again so soon.

Installs of FSX and P3D are for me a routine. The only downside is installation of sceneries - but seriously, how often do I have to install those 60+ sceneries. I don't. Because I usually fly from A->B. So I install 5-6 favorites, and the rest is coming as needed.

But to answer the question, at first I thought it was worth it, now I think it's not really.

Why would you do that? Where did you get that from?

Thanks,

Dirk.

This are my own observations. No one told me to do that.

I noticed this effect while experimenting with FSX in the past when I renamed the fsx.exe to something else and got worse performance.

Now with prepar3d.exe it's the other way around. This probably won't have any effect on Nvidia cards, and I'm not even sure if it affects all ATI Cards. But at least on my setup I'm seeing better fps when running Prepar3d.exe as fsx.exe. My only guess is, that it's a driver optimization specifically for FSX, that only takes place when the application is named fsx.exe.

This are my own observations. No one told me to do that.

I noticed this effect while experimenting with FSX in the past when I renamed the fsx.exe to something else and got worse performance.

Now with prepar3d.exe it's the other way around. This probably won't have any effect on Nvidia cards, and I'm not even sure if it affects all ATI Cards. But at least on my setup I'm seeing better fps when running Prepar3d.exe as fsx.exe. My only guess is, that it's a driver optimization specifically for FSX, that only takes place when the application is named fsx.exe.

It looks like you're right. AMD and NVIDIA have cheated tons in the past in games and 3DMark with executables. Since AMD cards don't perform well in FSX, I wouldn't be surprised if they're cheating in it too.

Here are the videos comparing performance of P3D 1.4 with FSX. First one is nVidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti, second one is AMD Radeon HD 6870. There is also a video of the two cards side by side on my channel.

nVidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti

AMD Radeon HD 6870

I am seriously considering taking a step back from the hobby for a few months until the PMDG T7 is out. Who knows... I am just a bit overloaded with stuff right now.

Trying to find the perfect settings, tweaks, etc. can be a real drag, and you can get burned out on it. I spent a good week tweaking P3D and FSX side-by-side, and in the end just deleted everything and reinstalled FSX. I am done tweaking for a while. Just going to plan some flights and have some fun - and not run fraps or look for micro stutters. I have spent more time installing, tweaking, uninstalling, reinstalling, and testing than i have actually flying. That is unacceptable.

Just fly. Screw the rest.

Trying to find the perfect settings, tweaks, etc. can be a real drag, and you can get burned out on it. I spent a good week tweaking P3D and FSX side-by-side, and in the end just deleted everything and reinstalled FSX. I am done tweaking for a while. Just going to plan some flights and have some fun - and not run fraps or look for micro stutters. I have spent more time installing, tweaking, uninstalling, reinstalling, and testing than i have actually flying. That is unacceptable.

Just fly. Screw the rest.

Exactly my thoughts. I've got a good working FSX installation, and a tweaked cfg that is not 100% perfect, however very acceptable, and I get better performance than ever before. Instead of tweaking all the time to get the best performance and less stutters, I just enjoy the flying aspect. The next time I'll try tweaking again is when I upgrade my system in one or two years.

Ben Cap, instead of stepping back from the whole hobby, I'd say that you should just step back from the tweaking. Use whichever platform works best for you (FSX or Prepar3D) and just enjoy the flight.

Agree Chaotic Beauty. Ben, one thing I am doing is reviewing the things I don't do very well (or at all) in FSX. One thing is ILS/VOR. So right now I am focusing on areas I need work on. I know you are a lot more experienced than I am with FSX/P3D, but maybe you could dive into an area that needs work!

Agreed robmypro - For the last year I've been doing nothing but full IFR flights landing to minimums at various airports. I just set up the flight, locate the charts, set the weather to minimums and away I go. No worry about frame rates or blurries - all I can see are clouds and the panel until the approach lights break through. Also fun to set up a scenario where you are landing a large a/c at a small airport, etc.

Endless tweaking is counter productive - you have to take time to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Endless tweaking is counter productive

Hah, you should take a look at my motto! :lol:

I'm just gonna leave P3D in it's default state for a while. Get a feel for what it is like "outta-the-box" for awhile. Got too many projects going. If got FSX fully loaded for playing right now. I'll just take it slow - figure out/read up on how to transition, how to migrate add-ons over, etc. I'm in no rush. Too busy trying to build my dang cockpit!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Hah, you should take a look at my motto! :lol:

:LMAO:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors