Sign in to follow this  
Precision Approacher

Airways Not in Data Base

You sure routes in flightaware dont have airways? I dont fly stateside much, but I recall I almost always used routes...

I think some do, some don't.. I believe I've seen some show airways before they are "decoded"

or whatever, but the decoded versions are all waypoints.

Maybe one reason it hasn't bothered me much is the majority of my flights are pretty short,

and even punching in all the waypoints is not that big a deal.. But it would be handy to do a

few shortcuts on the long haul routes.

I'll try doing it on the RTE page. I guess that's why I couldn't get them to work. I'm pretty

sure I was trying to punch them in on the LEGS page. That's where I usually edit my plans.

Hi there,

You'll need to update your navdata. You can get this from Navigraph. Basically contains SIDs, STARs, transitions, approaches, airways, waypoints, you name it. Quite an important thing to have and it's good to always keep it up to date. In real life it's updated every month (28 days or so). Download it (payware - if you don't want to buy it there's probably an older freeware version kicking about somewhere), install it and you'll be good to go.

Hello,

Thanks for you reply. I've joined NAVIGRAPH and have updated my nav data base. Another member forum reply showed me that Airways go on the left side of the ROUTE page, and waypoints (like VOR's etc) go on the right. Thanks again.

Jaime

You should be able to input ALL the ones in tutorial flights - those use the database that is prepackaged with the plane.

If you get this message with other tutorial airways, you probably have a corrupted database installation. I guess deleting PMDG/Navdata folder, and using Repair option on the installer should help.

Hello,

Thanks for yout reply. I've joined NAVIGRAPH and have updated my nav data base. And I'll definite stay away from the FS built in flight planner. Thanks for the tip.

Jaime

Stupid question I know, but I don't want to corrupt anything.

I already have upto date databases (or I should say "nearly" upto date as they are a month or so behind) They are for other "products" but can they be used for NGX 737? If so what exactly do I do with them? I don't really want to "duplicate" the same data in several folders, so how do I go about installing the data for the NGX?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I can't really comment on databases for "other products". The only way I updated mine is with www.navigraph.com .Hope this helps.

Jaime

Sometimes I get that error when I try to start a flight plan with a jet airway. Start your flight plan with a direct to fix that is on the airway then you can input the via airway on the right side. You should have hundreds of airways in the default database.

Thanks Fritz,

Part of my problem was that my nav data base was out of date. Problem fixed. By the way, the Airways go on the left side on the ROUTE page, and the fixes go on the left. I learned that the hard way :)

Thanks again,

Jaime

I may be wrong on this, but normally you don't enter airways into the FMC.

It won't recognize them. You have to enter the waypoints used in the airway

that you want to fly. It doesn't recognize the airway, say if you tried to punch in

say "J81" or whatever, but all the waypoints that are along that airway are in the

database.

So... The way I see it, upgrading the database will not change anything. It will

still not see the jet airway, if one tries to directly enter it.

If I'm wrong, maybe someone will provide better info. But I do know, I never

directly enter a jet airway when planning a flight. I enter all the waypoints

along that airway. As far as airways and their waypoints, I doubt too much

has changed since the database from last year. So unless it's a new one,

or one that has changed, the waypoints are in there.

Hello,

Problem solved. I was trying to enter the airways on the wrong side of the ROUTE page. Airways are entered on the left side, and waypoints (like VOR's, FIXES, etc..) are entered on the right side. It really does indeed work, and is such a time savers. You should try. Good luck and thanks again.

Jaime

We do enter airways, they should all be recognised. Airways entered on the left (VIA) then last point to go to on that airway on the right.

I wouldn't fancy entering every single waypoint on a four hour flight to Fuerteventura... Checking correct airways have been entered is also part of our route check before we set off.

Don't know where you got the info of not entering airways in the FMC, but it's not right.

Thanks,

Updating my nav database and knowing that airways go on left side of the ROUTE page, has really helped. Thanks again.

Jaime

no you enter airways in the RTE Legs page. Airways go on the left and the fix goes on the right

ah Tom beat me to it

Thanks Leel. :)

Problem solved. I was trying to enter the airways on the wrong side of the ROUTE page.

Yep, it worked here too once I decided to use the RTE page... :)

Dunno how I missed that. My problem was trying to add them from the LEGS page.