Sign in to follow this  
BoHill

PFE Integration With Voice Control

QUOTE:

snapback.pngalpha117, on 19 July 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Good news from FS++ team:

' We should be able to add support for PFE (I mean voice interaction) within 2 months.'

UNQUOTE

As a newbie, no one responded to my earlier request in the "pro flight emulator" thread on this forum, so I'm starting a new topic in order to get an update on MCE progess towards integrating with PFE including voice integration as noted by you above.

According to the above info, that indicates you hope to have PFE support (meaning compatibility voice command interaction with the PFE ATC?) by about mid-September. Will this mean choosing the "no PFE VCP co-pilot mode" in PFE, while keeping the MCE FO active as co-pilot?

Please confirm if this is true and on schedule. :P

Thanks much!

Yep, looks like it is on schedule, with voice integration with PFE. I've just finished some updates on the voice recordings for PFE :P

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

update on the PFE integration, it is going to be a 2 phase operation

Phase 1

Is to get users to talk to PFE controllers directly, and no MCE FO will handle ATC.

and its the speech recognition aspect that is implemented.

Phase 2

Will depend on the feasibility whether it's more practical to make FO respond via MCE or simply create a voice pack for PFE and make PFE FO handle the replies.

This decision will be made by the FS++ Team.

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

The two phase idea as you describe seems like a fine approach. It's a mark of true professionalism for MCE to make this integration. It allows MCE to be the dominant lead program while utilizing the positive aspects of the PFE ATC system. Cheers to MCE, and thanks for keeping us updated!

I just downloaded the demonstration Multi-Crew Experience program and am just starting to experiment with it. A few questions:

1. What is included and what are the limitations in the demonstration version before purchasing and getting a key?

2. I am particularly interested in PFE/PF2000 integration. Am I able to work with this integration in the demonstration mode?

3. Is there a good and SIMPLIFIED step by step tutorinal anywhere specific to PFE integration with Multi-Crew for a newbie to this program?

4. Should traditional PFE or Multi-Crew commands be communicated over the mike?

I have gone through the voice training routine three times for good measure. However, in PFE I have not been able to get a voice response to any of my communications by voice. I do hear a hum when I activate the delete key in order to voice a command. I have tried both the traditional PFE commands and a number of those in the Multi-Crew/PFE manual with no success (with the correct frequencies). I do hear my colpilot acknowledge frequency changes and keyboard response has no problem. With my IFR flightplan displayed, The first window that pops up advises to go to the ATC weather or the ground control frequency, NOT the clearance frequency which I found to be a bit strange.

Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

Respectfully:

RTH

Note: I found this thread by a google search and then went on the AvSim site and was unable to find it in the Multi-Crew forum. I will try again.

I just downloaded the demonstration Multi-Crew Experience program and am just starting to experiment with it. A few questions:

1. What is included and what are the limitations in the demonstration version before purchasing and getting a key?

2. I am particularly interested in PFE/PF2000 integration. Am I able to work with this integration in the demonstration mode?

3. Is there a good and SIMPLIFIED step by step tutorinal anywhere specific to PFE integration with Multi-Crew for a newbie to this program?

4. Should traditional PFE or Multi-Crew commands be communicated over the mike?

I have gone through the voice training routine three times for good measure. However, in PFE I have not been able to get a voice response to any of my communications by voice. I do hear a hum when I activate the delete key in order to voice a command. I have tried both the traditional PFE commands and a number of those in the Multi-Crew/PFE manual with no success (with the correct frequencies). I do hear my colpilot acknowledge frequency changes and keyboard response has no problem. With my IFR flightplan displayed, The first window that pops up advises to go to the ATC weather or the ground control frequency, NOT the clearance frequency which I found to be a bit strange.

Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

Respectfully:

RTH

Note: I found this thread by a google search and then went on the AvSim site and was unable to find it in the Multi-Crew forum. I will try again.

Hi,

1. It’s a full feature Demo. Only restriction, you have to use it within 3 days and you can’t run it more than 30 times.

2. Yes you can use it alongside PFE. Go to <ATC> tab of the user interface and make sure it’s switched to PFE.

3. There is a document called “Interfacing Pro Flight Emulator ATC”

Click Start->All Programs->Multi Crew Experience-> Interfacing Pro Flight Emulator ATC.

It's best to first start FSX (or FS9), get PFE started (adventure selected and loaded) and then start MCE.

Windows 8 users, look for the relevant tile in Metro interface.
  1. Traditional PFE commands (the ones suggested for GameCommander) aren’t realistic. With MCE you have to speak the ATC Lingo (see document for phraseology to use). One thing you should always keep in mind is the Call Sign.

If you forget it, ask co-pilot “what about the call sign?”, “confirm call sign” etc…

It is possible to use PFE traditional commands. Use the VoxKey tool for that purpose. Associate any voice command you want to a particular key combo and MCE will send the keybord selection to the sim when you speak your voice custom voice command. It’s like having a built-in GameCommander for free.

It’s better to use the more realistic approach though.

Suggest you perform ATC specific training.

Click Start->All Programs->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Speech training.

Select <ATC phraseology> and start training.

You must hold the PTT button down continuously while transmitting your message. When you release it, all ATC related recognition will be disabled.

While MCE can read the content of the PFE text it cannot modify it. So can’t explain why you’re getting weather rather than Clearance delivery.

There are a couple of videos related to RC4. The principle is the same, therefore you can use those as a tutorial

Please note, these vids are very old and don't have the high quality FO voices added later.

Can you give an example of call sign departure airport and aircraft used, so I can suggest a few key trigger sentences?

Thanks

Thanks so much for the reply:

I fear that I may be nearing the exit time for the demonstration mode, but here goes. As I mentioned,the first thing I did was go through the voice training routine three times.

1. Started out trying the Twin Bonanza in FSX, call sign Foxtrot Oscar Delta Bravo Uniform; Flightplan KMYRKATL, IFR with PFE/PF2000 implementation.

2. Tried the same flight without PFE/PF2000 implementation.

3. Switched to the default FSX Baron, call sign Beech November Seven One Foxtrot Sierra.

4. Tried VFR freeflight

5. Discovered the Multi-Crew Tutorial from LFML to LSGG.

6. Being that I had no landmark 737 in FSX, Switched to FS9.

7. Call sign was Landmark One One Two Three, a little different from the tutorial.

I think I am about half way there now, but am apparently still doing something wrong in order to receive replies or instructions from ATC.

A. When I communicate, I see red text on the screen duplicating my command.For example if I have requested IFR clearance, Or taxi clearance.

B. The next text window with options from Multi-Crew instructs me to acknowledge the clearance or taxi instruction implying that my command was received, and that ATC has given me clearance.

C. However, I never did, or do hear any verbal clearance or see any text telling me what the clearance or taxi instruction was. I assume I have a setting missing or wrong somewhere in my setup but have to plead ignorance as to what it is.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

RTH

Switched to the default FSX Baron, call sign Beech November Seven One Foxtrot Sierra.

You’re welcome rhodges

Be aware, when using the ATC feature with default FSX or FS9 system, MCE will read the aircraft call-sign from the simulator. And it usually changes based on which livery is loaded.

For Radar Contact and PFE ATC, MCE will read the call sign you have set in either RC4 settings or PFE user interface. That doesn't change when you switch aircraft.

If you have something like KLM 147 set in PFE, MCE will see it as an airliner and the speech grammar would expect something like "Ground KLM 143 ready for taxi", not "Ground November Seven One Foxtrot Sierra ready for taxi".

If unsure, ask the co-pilot to confirm the call sign

It’s important you get that right, because there are 2 separate grammars. One optimised for airliners, and another one for GA flying.

The red text shown in the upper left corner is a feature that lets the user see what the speech engine has recognised.

You can later turn it off by right clicking anywhere on the MCE UI and deselecting the option “show commands in FS”.

I will try to perform a flight with your scenario tomorrow afternoon and will get back to you.

As for the Demo, we can always extend it on request.

Flightplan KMYRKATL, IFR with PFE/PF2000 implementation

Well, I did an IFR test flight with Air Canada 4321 as call sign from Myrtle Beach to Atlanta and it was OK.

You must go to PFE user interface, click Options#1 button.

In the Options Window, Select the airline you want, and type the flight number just underneath the call-sign label.

The airline name and flight number you type there override any call sign set in the adventure file.

You can’t use Landmark 1123 with PFE as it’s not one of the recorded airlines.

I don’t know how PFE handles VFR flights, if at all.

The native ATC is very good for VFR flying.

You could also run FSX, followed by MCE, and leave PFE last.

Remember when switching between ATC systems (Native, RC4, PFE), you must press the <Activate> button at the bottom of the ATC tab, and you must restart MCE.

Suggest you get in touch with support(at)multicrewxp.com so we can send you the link for the extended Demo.

Thank you kindly for your time and help.

Tomorrow, I will try your suggestions.

I cannot help but wonder if something unique to my system is not quite right relative to my setup as I have trouble getting replies in PFE by itself (by voice commands only). I seem to have the same problem in my experimentation with Multi-Crew, impleted with, or without PFE. However, keyboard commands seem to be flawless in either case. When my demonstration time ran out, my commands were being heard by Multi-Crew because the program responded by telling me that the time had expired and that I needed a purchase key to continue. However, when alive before my time or number of tries expired,, I never could get the Co-Pilot to confirm my call sign or tell me that it was supposed to be something else. I am assuming that the call sign in the Multi-Crew display is what it should be, (matching that in the aircraft.cfg for the bird in question). I'm afraid I am stil not too clear relative to call signs, and where they can be located if this is not the source.

From the description and what Multi-Crew appears to offer, I don't know that I see any need for PFE if I can get Multi-Crew to work for me and I mightt be proficient in its use..

Again, thanks for your kind reesponse, and I will pursue this effort in the next few days

RTH

Possible discovery/solution.

PFE/PF2000 communication has had a hit or miss history of success with me. Sometimes I get a reply to my voice command, and sometimes I don't. On the advice of Oncourse posts, I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it into the C:\ root directory in the hope that all would be cured. I had even more difficulty. For instance I never was able to get a reply from Clearance. Ironically though, I could get radio check replies from Ground, and Weather updates by commands to FSS. Very strange that some work, some don't, and then occasionally those that didn't kick in and reply..

ESET Smart Security is the program I use for my antivirus and Firewall protection. I just discovered that if I disable these protections that I was successful with my PFE/PF2000 voice commands and got replies from ATC. School is still out as to whether this success will last, but I will hope for the best.

There is a strong possibility that this was my problem in getting replies from Multi-Crew as well. Disabling Eset and/or making exclusions may be the solution Time will tell.

I have requested an extention to my demonstration download by email as advised.

To Be Continued:

RTH

I have yet to have a successful flight with PFE. Either I really suck at it, or something just doesn't work right. I'm getting very good responses and success rates with voice commands for everything but ATC, and this is sketchy at best. Numbers get confused, commands seem to get jumbled based on the visual feedback I see of MCE posting the sentence heard in the top left corner, and responses back from PFE are few and far between.

The co-pilot executes virtually every command in the cockpit without fail, ground communications with GSX were great, but PFE is a right pain if I'm honest. To be fair though, I can't say I've had any better luck using PFE without MCE. I apparently just don't get how to muddle through without something failing to work properly.

- Aaron

I have yet to have a successful flight with PFE. Either I really suck at it, or something just doesn't work right. I'm getting very good responses and success rates with voice commands for everything but ATC, and this is sketchy at best. Numbers get confused, commands seem to get jumbled based on the visual feedback I see of MCE posting the sentence heard in the top left corner, and responses back from PFE are few and far between.

The co-pilot executes virtually every command in the cockpit without fail, ground communications with GSX were great, but PFE is a right pain if I'm honest. To be fair though, I can't say I've had any better luck using PFE without MCE. I apparently just don't get how to muddle through without something failing to work properly.

The fact FO responds to most of your requests suggest the issue isn't connected to microphone, speech recognition or user accent.

As explained to rhodges above it’s very likely an issue related to call sign.

When it comes to ATC, call sign is everything. Any request or acknowledgment will have it, either in the beginning or end of the message.

In the early days, we used to have one single grammar (the set of speech rules MCE submits to the speech engine for recognition).

The speech engine would have to expect anything from

Speedbird one one one seven heavy

Speedbird one eleven seven

Speedbird eleven one seven Delta

Spedbird eleven seventeen

Speedbird triple one seven heavy

All the way to

Beech November Mike Tango three Romeo Bravo

Mooney Golf Tango forty five Whisky Delta.

Cessna Tango Mike Sierra (short call sign)

November Tango two six Romeo Delta.

After years of feedback we came to the conclusion, it was better to have 2 grammars. One optimised for airliners, and another one for GA aircraft. Two grammars for each ATC system supported.

There is one caveat though. If MCE wrongly identifies the selected aircraft as an airliner when you are in fact flying a GA aircraft, the loaded grammar won’t be ready to take call signs such as “Cessna Mike Tango Romeo Delta Sierra Five”.

And because the speech engine is always eager to return results (recognition), it will probably look at another speech rule that sounds like what you’re speaking, but what shows on the screen looks completely different from what you just spoke.

Right now, with PFE and RC4, if aircraft type is one of the following, it will be considered as GA flight. If we missed any, let us know.

Cessna

Challenger

Cherokee

Citation

Fairchild

Falcon

Gulfstream

King Air

Learjet

Mooney

Pilatus

Piper

baron

beech

bonanza

aztec

commander

katana

lancair

galaxy

Anything else, and MCE will expect it to be an airliner with an airline name and a flight number.

Suggest you go to the PFE Options#1 window, select airline KLM and flight number 143, then save and shutdown PFE.

Start MCE, and then start PFE. Load the adventure and your call sign will be KLM 143.

No matter what aircraft you select in the simulator, your call sign will always be KLM 143 until you change it in PFE settings. The same applies to RC4.

On the other hand, with native ATC, MCE will work out the call sign from the aircraft livery you just loaded. When you switch aircraft, ask co-pilot “what is our call-sign?”

Try the KLM 143 (or any other PFE supported airline name) and see if you get garbage in red text when making various requests.

MCE will only look at your speech and decides which key to send to PFE based on the published document. It cannot guarantee the controller will respond.

It’s also able to read the PFE ATC window, therefore can make decisions based on the content (which it never changes). For example when asking for a different runway, it will be able to scroll through the list of runways until it comes across the one you asked for, and sends a “Y” to PFE to select it.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the detailed response.

I did indeed set the call sign in the PFE options prior to the flight, in this case Southwest 26, and when using the call sight in-game I saw feedback of all kinds of variations. It is still pretty overwhelming for me though and surely the errors being made are very likely my own. Both PFE and MCE are new to me and learning them at the same time presents its own set of challenges.

I'm continuing to try different things, and if it's one thing I like about MCE so far, and there are actually many, it's the versatility. Many sentence constructs that are simply logical in a given situation turn out to actually work in-game, even if I haven't seen it listed as a specific option in the manuals. That helps us noobs that may not know the exact "right" thing to say at the time.

- Aaron