Sign in to follow this  
Ps762

Anyone else still using a CRT TV/Monitor or two?

Hi!

Just thought I'd ask a quick question. I know the World has moved on to LCD's but just wondering if anyone still uses the odd CRT TV or monitor at all. We have a new big flatscreen TV in my parents room and while it is light and portable and has a bigger screen I still think the basic TV picture quality on our kitchen Sony Trinitron is a lot better to my eyes. No jagged lines or glaring colours or pixelation. I'm still unsure of the whole CRT/LCD etc. thing. Sometimes the images on these new flatscreens blows me away and sometimes I just think they look bad. It seems to vary a lot. For some reason the smaller LCD screens seem to look more consistently better to my eyes and I am very happy with our Dell desktop monitor and movies on my aunt's Toshiba laptop look incredibly clear and good.

But on the other hand I really like the picture quality of TV and even PC on a few CRT's we still have around. I can't say they're better or worse only that I'm in no rush to replace them.

So anyone else have a CRT or two lying around still or have great experiences with the new technology.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

P.

We have a new big flatscreen TV in my parents room and while it is light and portable and has a bigger screen I still think the basic TV picture quality on our kitchen Sony Trinitron is a lot better to my eyes. No jagged lines or glaring colours or pixelation.

This is because you are spreading out your pixels onto a larger screen. I use a Viewsonic 24" LCD widescreen and it is perfect.

I did have a 24" CRT up to a year ago and the picture on it was fine, problem is they are not widescreen so you miss out on having a wider field of vision.

Using large screen LCD or Plasma TV's are not good with Flight Sim in my POV because all you are doing is spreading out the pixels over a larger area. Having Multiple Monitors is best

Matthew Kane

Hi!

This is because you are spreading out your pixels onto a larger screen. I use a Viewsonic 24" LCD widescreen and it is perfect.

I'm not sure I follow you on this. Surely a bigger screen would have more pixels of the same basic individual size as a smaller screen? Just more of them to fill the bigger area. I think I read somewhere that the basic "pixel" size of a LCD is much larger than that of a CRT. There was also some different kinda argument that CRT's don't really have a pixel size because they use a scanning process or something.

Smaller screens definitely look generally much better. However I'd be suprised if the bigger screens used bigger pixels to cover the larger area. I don't really know much about it though.

Many thanks.

P.

If you are using a 24" widescreen Monitor and running 1920 X 1080 pixels then you are spreading out those 1920 X 1080 pixels over 24" from corner to corner.

If you are using a 60" widescreen Television and running 1920 X 1080 pixels then you are spreading out those 1920 X 1080 pixels over 60" from corner to corner.

It is the same amount of pixels spread out over a larger area.

Matthew Kane

Actually, the number of pixels for -say- HDTV standard "native resolution" 1080i/p doesn't change...

...there are still 1080 horizontal pixels per row and 1920 rows. Knowing that, then obviously the relative pixel size for a 60" screen will be proportionaly larger than those of a 17" screen. Even so, at very close distance, they are still very tiny! :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm apparently way behind the crowd. The two TV's at home are both CRT, and the TV's in my holiday homes are both CRT... :rolleyes: Only LCD in my house is my monitor for my computer... Probably should look into upgrading, but they still work fine, picture quality is great, and it'd feel a bit wasteful to me to just throw out a perfectly good TV...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

C'mon Ro! I was half expecting you to tell us you also watch tv by candlelight! LOL

Problem with the CRTs is lack of support for HDMI and other digital signals. I was forced to upgrade from my 1 year old crt after my wife accidentally emptied the fish tank into it, and to be honest, i could not go back to CRT now!!

I am also looking at upgrading my computer LCD after one of the techs at work bought a 27inch high def LED for around $250 delivered on ebay!! Quality again is mouth watering!

Hi!

Thanks for the replies. I guess that would explain why the smaller LCD's look better. My monitor on my Dell desktop is 1440x900 and looks great. The only problem in flightsim is the 2D panels look stretched and sometimes I still like using 2D panels.

I'm with Ronan on this one though. I still like my CRT's both for computing and TV and wouldn't like to throw them out just for the sake of upgrading. Hell most of my music collection is still on cassette which I still believe sounds better than mp3!

As an aviation question I was wondering do airliner cockpits now use LCD displays for the PFD etc. or are they still CRT or something totally different?

Many thanks.

P.

I'm apparently way behind the crowd. The two TV's at home are both CRT, and the TV's in my holiday homes are both CRT... :rolleyes: Only LCD in my house is my monitor for my computer... Probably should look into upgrading, but they still work fine, picture quality is great, and it'd feel a bit wasteful to me to just throw out a perfectly good TV...

Regards,

Ró.

Hi Ró.

Sorry to post here. It's completely unrelated to this thread. Tried to PM you, but that looks disabled in your account (unless I didn't look long enough).

Would it be possible to contact support(at)multicrewxp.com?

Thanks

Gerald.

Hi Ró.

Sorry to post here. It's completely unrelated to this thread. Tried to PM you, but that looks disabled in your account (unless I didn't look long enough).

Would it be possible to contact support(at)multicrewxp.com?

Thanks

Gerald.

Sent you an email, I think your PM is turned off as I can send PM's fine on my side.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I guess that would explain why the smaller LCD's look better. My monitor on my Dell desktop is 1440x900 and looks great. The only problem in flightsim is the 2D panels look stretched and sometimes I still like using 2D panels.

The reason for that of course is that all of the default 2d panels were designed for a 4:3 ratio monitor. When displayed on a wide-screen 16:9 ratio they are going to be stretched horizonally to fill the screen.

That is precisely why when developing releases for FS9/FSX where a 2d panel is included, we created the artwork and panel.cfg files for both resolutions.

However, given that it's extremely difficult to even find a CRT anymore, much less a 4:3 ratio LCD monitor, it won't be much longer before support for 4:3 ratio goes the way of the Dodo bird... B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi!

The reason for that of course is that all of the default 2d panels were designed for a 4:3 ratio monitor. When displayed on a wide-screen 16:9 ratio they are going to be stretched horizonally to fill the screen.

That is precisely why when developing releases for FS9/FSX where a 2d panel is included, we created the artwork and panel.cfg files for both resolutions.

However, given that it's extremely difficult to even find a CRT anymore, much less a 4:3 ratio LCD monitor, it won't be much longer before support for 4:3 ratio goes the way of the Dodo bird... B)

That's true but I'm still keeping a 4:3 monitor handy for flying Fs98! People may knock Fs98 but the amount and quality of freeware for it still blows most of these modern sims out of the water! There was a lot of love in flightsimback then and although the graphics sucked and stuff I still like flying all those sceneries/aircraft sometimes!

Many thanks.

P.

As an aviation question I was wondering do airliner cockpits now use LCD displays for the PFD etc. or are they still CRT or something totally different?

Indeed they're all LCD now, much lighter and don't get damaged as easily by turbulence....

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Hi!

Indeed they're all LCD now, much lighter and don't get damaged as easily by turbulence....

Regards,

Ró.

Many thanks for the info although I'm not sure if you're kidding about the turbulence thing. I'm scared of flying enough without worrying about turbulence putting out the captains PFD while he's handflying an ILS to minimums!

Many thanks.

P.

Hi!

Many thanks for the info although I'm not sure if you're kidding about the turbulence thing. I'm scared of flying enough without worrying about turbulence putting out the captains PFD while he's handflying an ILS to minimums!

Many thanks.

P.

Oh, you're scared of flying, in that case, I was only joking.... :unsure: :Whistle:

In all seriousness though, it used happen (not often obviously or they'd never have been certified) with the CRT's that they'd get shook and banged around enough to fail, havn't heard of it happening to a LCD yet though.Keep in mind though we can switch displays back and forth between different DUs.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg