Sign in to follow this  
Ps762

Anyone else still using a CRT TV/Monitor or two?

Ró, given the temperature of the filaments in a CRT, it's not surprising that there'd be occasional failures. It's really a testament to the ingenuity of the electronics engineers that they were able to find a way to minimize the effect of shock and vibration breaking hot filaments!

That's true but I'm still keeping a 4:3 monitor handy for flying Fs98! People may knock Fs98 but the amount and quality of freeware for it still blows most of these modern sims out of the water! There was a lot of love in flightsimback then and although the graphics sucked and stuff I still like flying all those sceneries/aircraft sometimes!

That's precisely why when it became obvious that 4:3 ratio LCD monitors would soon be scarce as hen's teeth that I ordered ten 15" 4:3 LCD monitors from Tiger Direct when they had a "blow out sale" at $49/each! I keep one as a tertiary monitor on my development machine, as well as one on my flightsim test machine. This is the only way I can keep developing 2d 4:3 ratio panels for projects.

Oh yes, I still have one 26" CRT monitor down in my basement for "nostalgia" purposes mostly. The rest I gave away long ago to my local parish for their CYC program (youth).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ró, given the temperature of the filaments in a CRT, it's not surprising that there'd be occasional failures. It's really a testament to the ingenuity of the electronics engineers that they were able to find a way to minimize the effect of shock and vibration breaking hot filaments!

Indeed, that was one of the things pilots were exceptionally concerned about when glass cockpits were first brought in, that this technology was the same as the TV at home, where you'd tap it on top and the image would move around the screen, and they wanted us to fly though turbulence with these... Either way they were proven wrong and now we'll never look back to the days of steam gauges for commercial aircraft. Fair plé to the engineers at McDonnell Douglas.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Hi LCD/LED fans.

None of those here yet.

I will NOT change unless one of my CRT is dead ! ! TV or puter.

And BEFORE buying new, I will read A LOT on the net, about

the **short** PROGRAMMED OBSOLESCENCE of these new gadgets ! !

It is a SHAME ! ! !

Blue skies.

Hi!

Many thanks for the info and replies.

That's precisely why when it became obvious that 4:3 ratio LCD monitors would soon be scarce as hen's teeth that I ordered ten 15" 4:3 LCD monitors from Tiger Direct when they had a "blow out sale" at $49/each! I keep one as a tertiary monitor on my development machine, as well as one on my flightsim test machine. This is the only way I can keep developing 2d 4:3 ratio panels for projects.

Oh yes, I still have one 26" CRT monitor down in my basement for "nostalgia" purposes mostly. The rest I gave away long ago to my local parish for their CYC program (youth).

That's great that you keep developing with some backward compatibility. It's very true that not everyone has the latest and greatest computer equipment all the time. I'm actually a bit suprised that FsX doesn't have widescreen 2d panels (or maybe it does?). The virtual cockpits are beautiful but sometimes it gets tiring having to pan around or change views to access buttons and stuff. 2d panels don't look nearly as realistic but sometimes their ease of use is a good plus for me (especially with airliners!).

What I worry about is when TV's stop putting "TV aerial" inputs on them (coaxial?). Then my old Atari console from the 1980's will trul y become obsolete!

Indeed, that was one of the things pilots were exceptionally concerned about when glass cockpits were first brought in, that this technology was the same as the TV at home, where you'd tap it on top and the image would move around the screen, and they wanted us to fly though turbulence with these... Either way they were proven wrong and now we'll never look back to the days of steam gauges for commercial aircraft. Fair plé to the engineers at McDonnell Douglas.

Regards,

Ró.

Many thanks for the info. Very interesting to hear about what goes on in the real World. Thanks so much.

Hi LCD/LED fans.

None of those here yet.

I will NOT change unless one of my CRT is dead ! ! TV or puter.

And BEFORE buying new, I will read A LOT on the net, about

the **short** PROGRAMMED OBSOLESCENCE of these new gadgets ! !

It is a SHAME ! ! !

How about a laptop as a tester maybe? Although I'm still a CRT fan my aunt has a new Topshiba Windows 7 laptop (not a very expenisive one) and the image quality when playing movies really is great to look at!

Many thanks.

P.

My parents' room has a old Daewoo (Yes, they made televisions) that is probably one of the best TV's I've ever had (It was mine before I got my own TV in my room). It can wake up by itself (So, instead of having an annoying alarm clock wake you up, you can wake up to the news or whatever), it has component (Kinda meh, but it does give better picture quality vs. standard RCA), and you can label channels. The quality is also great since they don't have HD in their room.

What I worry about is when TV's stop putting "TV aerial" inputs on them (coaxial?). Then my old Atari console from the 1980's will trul y become obsolete!

As long as there are broadcast stations, there will always be an antenna input on televisions.

Speaking of televisions though, my chief complaint is that the new HDTVs take up to a full minute now before they are finished decoding the digital signal so that sound and picture are available! My coffee maker is faster than that... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator