Hi, now I have a question for HDD, because I want a good performance un fsx but I dont have to much money, so here are the options that I have:

1) 1 WD Caviar Black 500gb (OS general storage) + 1 WD Caviar Black 500gb (fsx)

2) 1 WD Caviar Black 500gb (OS...) + 1 WD velociraptor 500gb 64MB cache (fsx)

3) 1 WD Caviar Black 500gb (OS...) + 1 WD velociraptor 600gb 32MB cache (fsx)

4) 1 WD velociraptor 1TB (OS, general storage and fsx)

I want the first option but I want to now if I have to pay more money for the vrap 500gb and the 600gb version is better, and I want to know if there is a significant diference in performance between the 500gb and the 600gb because of the price 500gb $160 and the 600gb $260.

I want to know if I have to save more money and wait more.

Saludos

I would go with Option 1, but consider if an SSD for FSX might be in your budget as an alternative.

Bert

The prices of SSDs have dropped, and now I'm switching. Another convert ;-)

First now €97 for 128GB SSD for win. Then either 256 or 512 for P3D. Getting an M4. Last test was quite good.

And I will still have couple of other disks for general storage of course.

No clue on your exact choices but I can tell you my FSX loading times dropped only 10% when I went from my Raid 0 to a SSD. Which in my case, means CPU speed is VERY important for loading times also.

I'd go for option 2 or 3. But I would consider a smaller SSD for the OS and main FSX install instead of the WD black. I don't know how the prices are at yours but where I live you can get a 120GB SSD for the same price as a 500GB WD Black and I am a huge fan of OS on SSD.

I hope you are aware that the storage will never give you better FPS in FSX so that's not your definition of performance. Where it mostly helps is with load times. It's the drives access time that is important while transfer rates are make very little impact. So there will only be a tiny difference between the two Velociraptors. The biggest reduction in FSX load time will be by going from WD Black to Velociraptor on your system.

The prices of SSDs have dropped, and now I'm switching. Another convert ;-)

Again....? :lol:

Again....? :lol:

Third time's a charm! :rolleyes:

Third time's a charm! :rolleyes:

I'm going to hold off on an SSD for a few more months of prices drops... I want one when the 512s are 270euros.

Here in chile a 120GB SSD cost 230 dollars, like 110.000 chilean pesos. I thought that the hard drive was necesary for fsx performance.

So there is no diference in performance if I have 2 WD 500gb or 1 WD black 1TB?? I dont care if I have to wait a little more in loading times when starting a flight on fsx or wait a little more when I turn on the pc.

So there is no diference in performance if I have 2 WD 500gb or 1 WD black 1TB??

If you with performance mean FPS that's correct.I'll advice you to have a look here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/383881-how-different-hdds-and-ssds-performs-with-fsx

You are basically throwing your money away if you invest in better storage and expect higher FPS. You should first of all invest in a Ivy/SandyBridge system if you are looking for better FPS.

If you with performance mean FPS that's correct.I'll advice you to have a look here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/383881-how-different-hdds-and-ssds-performs-with-fsx

You are basically throwing your money away if you invest in better storage and expect higher FPS. You should first of all invest in a Ivy/SandyBridge system if you are looking for better FPS.

ok im going with the 1tb black. yes im going to buy a i5 3570k with a msi z77 g45 and a antec huhler 920. In GPU im fine a evga gtx 570 1.2gb.

ok im going with the 1tb black. yes im going to buy a i5 3570k with a msi z77 g45 and a antec huhler 920. In GPU im fine a evga gtx 570 1.2gb.

But even thou your storage won't have an effect on your avg FPS it will however effect how hard your hardest stutters will be.So I strongly reccomend that you go with one 7200rpm HDD for the OS and a separate HDD for FSX.

Have a look at the Seagate 750 gig Momentus XT ST750LX003.

Run both the system AND FSX on this faster drive. Storage on another.

My 2 cents.

I'm going to hold off on an SSD for a few more months of prices drops... I want one when the 512s are 270euros.

Okay this one's a keeper. If it doesn't break down, after reading some reports on M4... :O

And if it holds, lets see how prices keep up with the 512MB version, then I'm getting myself a nice Christmas gift ^_^

And if that goes well, then upgrade my laptop to an SSD! 128GB is gonna be enough!