Sign in to follow this  
4535jacks

How to land the Bombardier

I only seem to fly the P-38 and Bombardier as they have a virtual cockpit. I think I have the P-38 mastered but I am struggling to land the bombardier. I am using a apporach speed of ~150kts with full flap and using a mix of throttle and spolier to ensure a round-out close to the threshold and I am flaring at around 20ft. I fly taildraggers in the real world and so I am concious of over flaring. As soon as the aircraft comes close to the runaway, it seems to experiene loads of ground effect (it not only floats but gains height whilst bleeding speed and so it stalls). Is it an error in my technique that is causing this? Do I need to deploy spoilers in the flare to counter the ground effect experienced by this very low wing airliner?

To the Infinite Flight Team, well done on a great simulator!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Your approach speed seems correct, you can see me landing the CRJ in this video:

The flare takes quite a bit of time, maybe the 45 degrees of flaps don't produce enough drag... I think coming in a little bit slower might make things better though.

We don't model the ground effect yet though so that's unlikely to be the reason for this floating. The airplane might simply be too fast.

It's always hard for me to find stall speeds in various configurations so this might need some tweaking. Just yesterday CRJ captain sent me a message saying the speeds looked somewhat correct, so we must be close :)

--

Matt

I will keep practicing!!

Since you seem to be feedback driven, I thought I could add my two pence worth:

Are there any other virtual cockpits in the pipeline as they really are the selling point of the sim. I would love to see a few more GA types such as a Piper Cub and a Cessna Grand Caravan. I personally would also love to see a slight camera wobble when in virtual cockpit view to replicate the movement of the pilots head and the movement of the aircraft (like EzDock Camera for FSX).

Keep up the good work!!!

Gary

Are there any other virtual cockpits in the pipeline as they really are the selling point of the sim. I would love to see a few more GA types such as a Piper Cub and a Cessna Grand Caravan. I personally would also love to see a slight camera wobble when in virtual cockpit view to replicate the movement of the pilots head and the movement of the aircraft (like EzDock Camera for FSX).

Definitely, we try to bring all new airplanes with virtual cockpits. Our goal is to have live instruments and gauges in this view eventually but it's no easy task.

As for the movement of the head, we do already have this when you land or when you put G's on the airplane but only for devices that have left over power like the iPad2 & 3 and the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4 and iPod Touch have this option disabled.

--

Matt

Firstly, thanks for a great job by creating this amazing flight sim. I've been constantly buying an in-app purchases and look forward for more airports particularly in South East Asian regions.

Safe flights!

I find the bombardier easy to land. But if you want to land it properly just come in with full flaps and the spoilers out. Make sure the nose is slightly up and just before the planes going to stall flare the throttle.