Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Is x-plane 10 worth it?

I've seen many reviews about x-plane 10. Some reviews are positive and some are negative. They don't help so much. It's so hard for me to decide if I should buy x-plane 10. So, do you guys think I should get it? Thanks very much! Oh, and I currently use FSX.

Well, unfortunately my computer can't run x-plane 10. :( I'll be getting a new computer next Christmas. But I do know some things about x-plane 10 already. The atc seems alright to me. And the graphics seem improved over 9. But do you still think that the 70$ I'm paying for is worth it? I will try the demo when I get a new computer. Thanks!

Well, the 70$ doesn't really bother me much. I just would like to know if you have any good thoughts on x-plane 10. It's so hard for me to decide if I should get it or not. But thanks for the comments!

Good thoughts ?, nope

Thanks for your contribution.

NAX669.png

Hello and welcome.

Thanks very much! Oh, and I currently use FSX.

If you're able to use FSX, then it should be a lot easier for you to use X-Plane 10. Just test the free demo, then it will be easy to decide.

Well, unfortunately my computer can't run x-plane 10. :(

If X-Plane can't start did you check your Log.txt file inside your X-Plane folder ?

X-Plane 10 is my favorite simulator although my hardware is getting old. You'll find some of my screenshots here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/382432-c208b-grand-caravan-in-lorraine/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/383314-short-flight-with-the-dr-400/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/378344-flying-around-hawaii-with-the-sequoia-falco/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/368108-sbach-300-xtreme-fun/

i like fsx but it is no longer supported by Microsoft, our only choices for the future are Prepar3d and Xplane10. They are both great!

It was for me the best thing after MS FLIGHT on this return to simulation after having stopped for quite a while.

For someone having invested a lot in MSFS, I would recommend LM P3D, which I have tried last week after bying a 1 month license, although after finally having got acostumed to X-Plane10 flight and environment feel was difficult to accept as an alternative, or even a 2nd simulator (because I have difficulty using more than one at the same time - my problem, I know, but I am rather monogamic flightsimulation-wise...)

Is X-Plane better than FSX? Is FSX better than X-Plane? No and No :-) Each has it's virtues and it's drawbacks.

I look in the very first place for good/feasible flight and systems models (and you're all going to ask - why did this dude like MS FLIGHT then??? Because it had great flight dynamics, really a big step forward from FSX, even if mixed with the arcadish feel of having cockpitless aircraft... and it also had quite improved environment and weather). X-Plane's flight physics isn't perfect, nor the systems modelling including engines, etc... but it is IMO better than what I find in FSX (way better when talking about rotary wing and spaceships!!!). The scenery looks much more realistic to me, specially in what really concerns me like approaching at day or night in a crowded town, where you'll really find it difficult to find it - something impossible to happen in FSX... What you get with default scenery, mesh, etc is better than FSX even with some good but rather expensive add-ons, and if you use OSM, then it can only get better :-). I also love the sky, the slopped runways, and the fact that even modelled in a basic way, X-Plane includes thermal and slope lift models more than sufficient to give me great time flying gliders, which is the only type of aircraft I fly officialy in RL :-)

But!!!! Above all, X-Plane10 it's alive on it's own... unlike FSX which stagnated in 2006 - even LM P3D will not bring us any improvements in terms of the core - just cleaned/optimized code and much more credible landclass and autogen IMO... Austin and the LM team keep feeding X-Plane10 with new features every beta, and so we allways have hope that this or that feature, this or that bug, will find there way into a solution...

The upcoming 64 bit version will most certainly bring new life to X-Plane10 too.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

So I've downloaded the demo - where is the best place to fly within the demo to give an experience representative of the full version?

I presume I can try add-on aircraft and scenery within the demo - which (freeware) ones best show off the capabilities of XP10?

I've got XP9 full version, but never really found any advantage for it over FSX...

Cheers

Keith

Keith, the default area looks good to me for testing. Make sure you upgrade to latest beta11 using the installer.

The default Baron58 and C90 are now very acceptable, and IMO better than their counterparts in FSX (well, you do not have the C90, but you do have the B200)...

Regarding freeware, I reall like this Fokker F-27 (with 2d panel only) but also both Zenith from here

I know I am "talking" to someone with a long experience in flight simulation, but I really did it all wrong, on many circumstances, because I really didn't pay enough attention to the hardware settings for my controllers ( now just the Saitek X.52 Pro ). Also use the artificial stability - what matters is the final outcome IMHO.

The default AS K-21 is very acceptable (I have many ours logged on the real thing...), and there is a very promissing DG-1000 project in the works, with the author having been able to perfectly fit the Polar to the model :-)

I hope you like it... I ended up really enjoying this sim!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Just a side note, adding extra scenery in the Custom scenery folder does not work with the demo. You need the full version.

Keith, the default area loks good to me for testing. Make sure you upgrade to latest beta11 using the installer.

The default Baron58 and C90 are now very acceptable, and IMO better than counterparts in FSX (well, you do not have the C90, but you do have the B200)...

Regarding freeware, I reall like this Fokker F-27 (with 2d panel only) but also both Zenith from here

I know I am talking to someone with a long experience in flight simulation, but I really did it all wrong, on many circumstances, because I really didn't pay enough attention to the hardware settings for my controllers ( now just the Saitek X.52 Pro ). Also use the artificial stability - what matters is the final outcome IMHO.

The default AS K-21 is very acceptable (I have many ours logged on the real thing...), and there is a very promissing DG-1000 project in the works, with the author having been able to perfectly fit the Polar to the model :-)

I hope you like it... I ended up really enjoying this sim!

Just to be picky, the F-27 quoted actually does have a 3-d panel.